The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 30, 2013, 03:00 PM   #1
Buzzard1

Remington 1100 Barrel?

I recently picked up a early model Remington 1100. It has a fixed mod choked non vent rib barrel on it. I am wanting to replace that with a new barrel that accepts choke tubes. I went to the local pawn shop to see if they had any in the rack and they only had one, a hastings 24 inch vent rib with one screw in choke for $150. Then went on to a gun shop that had a new in box 26 inch vent rib with rem chokes for $210.

Personally I like the idea of the new barrel because it has 3 choke tubes already and that its new.

The hastings looked like a very well built barrel but 24 inch seems a little short to me. I dont know if 150 was a good deal on it or not. And what kind of choke tubes do these take?

Which way seems better? If they are both good deals I may buy them both.

Thanks
Buzz
Old May 30, 2013, 03:50 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

Or, you could send your barrel to someone like Mike Orlen in Maine who can thread your current barrel for chokes and supply you with at least a few for the same money
Old May 30, 2013, 05:29 PM   #3
colbad

I am assuming the $210 version was a Remington and not just something with
Rem Chokes? If it were me, I would pay the little extra to keep all the same brand. Easy to find Remington chokes, don't know about the other.
Old May 30, 2013, 05:48 PM   #4
PetahW

The Hastings bbl was a good buy.

Choke tubes for it are readily available online for about $15 IIRC.

YMMV, regarding the 24" length - as it depends upon what/where you shoot.

It's what I like in a Grouse Gun - in fact what's on my 20ga Franchi AL-48 (24" VR) - where jump shooting in tight cover's the norm.

I like something longer for longer shots - like open field shots @ Pheasant, for example - where the longer length helps me smooth out my swing.

Old May 30, 2013, 06:29 PM   #5
Buzzard1

This gun actually will be replacing my franchi 48AL 20 gauge. I sold that gun recently, was my pheasant gun. I would like to be able to quail, pheasant, and possibly trap shoot with this gun. I am wondering if the 26 inch Remington Brand barrel will be able to do everything I need it for. The remington brand barrel comes with three choke tubes: IC, M, F as well as a wrench from my understanding.
Old May 30, 2013, 07:56 PM   #6
Virginian

I would get a Remington barrel with a vent rib and RemChokes. Unless you are a stubborn cuss like me and want EXACTLY what you want, you don't have to get a "new" one. Check out eBay.
I wanted a 28" Light Contour, and I got one, and it was $276 to my door from Remington. I found a used one for my Wingmaster Magnum for $140. I suppose batting .500 ain't too bad. I had Mike Orlen install tubes in my LT20 2-3/4" barrel. Quality and performance wise there is no difference. Tru Chokes are pretty easy to find too, but I got a bunch from Mike when he did the barrel.
Old May 30, 2013, 08:12 PM   #7
jmr40

I'd buy the Remington barrel. I like a 24" barrel for some things, but a 26" is more useful all around. $60 isn't that much more for a factory barrel with all 3 tubes.
Old May 31, 2013, 02:48 AM   #8
Dreaming100Straight

I am not sure what is a good deal, but I bought a used 28" vent rib Remington barrel that came with a single screw in choke tube (a modified) for $80 or $100 (don't remember which) off of a guy who had it for sale on either shotgunworld.com or trapshooters.com. That included shipping and was two years ago.

If it makes a difference, check the finish and whether it is an Express finish, is blued or parkerized.

The 28" barrel will be better for occasional 16 yard trap.
Old May 31, 2013, 05:02 AM   #9
Virginian

If I may add, I would not spend the money to put tubes in a plain barrel. Some people like them, but they are in the minority. Spend the money on a good vent ribbed model.
Also, check first, because a lot of new barrels come with one (1) choke tube. Some of Remingtons barrels with one tube go for more than the equivalent barrel with three tubes. They don't know why either because I asked them; it just is.