The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 1, 2013, 04:34 PM   #26
glh17

I have the same problem. Sometimes it's hard for me to line up the front sight. This is more of a problem on my High Standard 22 that use for targets. My M&P 9c has the white dots and I don't have a problem with it. I'd paint the High Standard sights but the gun was my dad's (bought in early 60s) and I want to leave it as is.
Old June 2, 2013, 06:22 AM   #27
Ozzieman

Welcome to the old farts shooting club, even if you’re not old.
I have had the same problem for a good number of years. From the suggestion of my eye doctor after I asked, I took the slide only from a 1911 in with me and she marked where I sight through my glasses.
She then had a set of lenses cut so that the “Sweet” spot is at the point of the lens that I look through. Granted this doesn’t work in a SD or competition shooting but it will help with target shooting.
For competition I put a set of peep type sights on the back of my G34. Haven’t tried them yet due to the weather.

Politician's are like diapers.
You need to change them often,,,,, for the same reason!
Old June 2, 2013, 12:21 PM   #28
FoghornLeghorn

I had the exact same problem. I had special shooting glasses made which utilized a "golfer's segment." Except, with mine, the correction/circle is in the upper inside corner where I sight through to see the front sights. Works like a charm.

Old June 2, 2013, 05:17 PM   #29
s3779m

If there is a fiber optic front sight for your gun you might try it. I had the same problem and after installing the new sight was able to leave the glasses behind.
Old June 3, 2013, 06:05 PM   #30
Ozzieman

I did what s3779m suggested on a new G34. I haven’t had a chance to try the gun out because of weather and other distractions,,, (honey do list).
It seems to work better than standard sights but until I have a chance to put a couple of hundred down ranges I will hold my opinion.
If you go to the thread below and the last page there are some photos that you can see the sights that are on the gun. These were suggested by a very experienced action pistol shooter.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...=524254&page=2

Politician's are like diapers.
You need to change them often,,,,, for the same reason!
Old June 3, 2013, 06:48 PM   #31
jag2

I did what bigjim and a couple others mentioned. Special glasses made for shooting. Before I even asked, my eye doctor suggested I bring in one of my pistols so we setup one lens to be best when I held up my gun in firing position and got that focus as good as possible. Also made them with safety glass. Picked out a style similar to the old Ray Bans (think Top Gun) which are larger than a lot of todays style, offer better protection. Couldn't her happier.
Old June 14, 2013, 10:52 PM   #32
S&W-Keeper

Talk to your Optometrist, have him fit your Flat Top bifocal at the bottom of your pupil,and cut your bifocal power in half.That will give you a clear front sight without having to hold your head back so far.
Old June 16, 2013, 11:17 AM   #33
Arondos

I tossed using Isosceles stance. I found standing squared up to the target to be difficult as my eyes have lost the ability to focus in close. I want to bring my head down and looking out the top of my glasses doesn't work, nor does cocking my head back far enough to use the bottom of my lenses.

I went to a modified weaver stance and stand nearly sideways. It may not be the "best" stance but with my progressive lenses I can move my head just a little and see the sights with the bottom of the lens and the target by just tucking my chin in a little.

I wear double bifocals at work (electrician's lenses or I have heard them called double D's) because of overhead work and I got tired of having a sore neck. Haven't tried shooting with them yet.
Old June 16, 2013, 11:33 AM   #34
Bake

For target & bulleye, I use an old Merit. Other than that, last years "Reading Glasses".

A new Merit will run about $60.00, I got my for about $15, "back in the day"..
Old June 16, 2013, 02:24 PM   #35
RUT

>>Has anyone tried Superfocus?<<

I checked them out and they looked interesting.... that is until I priced them out. Yikes!
Old June 21, 2013, 02:50 AM   #36
mumbo719

Quote:
Reading glasses that are too weak for reading but give you a fair look at the front sight solves the problem.
This is what I do.
Old June 21, 2013, 09:10 PM   #37
Arondos

After some thought. While a special pair of glasses set up for shooting might be ideal.

If someone gets in my house or if I am carrying and need to shoot I am not going to be able to go, "Oh hold on for a sec" while I put on my special shooting glasses.

I would rather practice and be used to shooting with my normal glasses so it is automatic when I shoot with them. Even if it means I can't shoot a 1" group at 25 yards.
Old June 27, 2013, 05:56 PM   #38
charleym3

trifocals

I wear progressive trifocals most days. When I go to shoot, I have a set of single vision lenses that make the front sight razor sharp. The targets are a tad fuzzy, but I shoot a 45 so I can still score as I go.
Old June 30, 2013, 05:16 PM   #39
Horseless Trooper

I go the reading glasses route like Eldermike

My distance vision is still fine so I use a pair of $6.99 1.25x reading glasses which bring the front sight into crystal clarity. If I use my progressives I have to tilt my head and switch to my left eye to get a clear sight picture. I use the same glasses on V&T stops. With them I can see good enough to know if the driver of the car is pointing a bazooka at me but it lets me read a license and see my sights if things turn interesting
Old July 10, 2013, 12:24 AM   #40
Beemaster

I've worn trifocals for over a decade, mainly for the more repetitive things I need to do at work. Having three focal lengths puts a razor sharp focus at pistol firing distance, great focus for targets and really detailed when handling any misfire or breakdown type issues.

Luckily, these are covered with eyeglass plan, but not too expensive over bifocals. The middle focus works well for computer screen also, and although it isn't as tall as the distant and near focal range, it is a blessing if you can't adjust to progressives.

Although the trifocals above show a narrow close and intermediate, mine are much larger - allowing so sway effect like progressives have and no dead-spots. I swear by them. I even tried the HYPED "All new Digital Progressives" and what a waste - I am envious of people who CAN wear progressives, I get woosie and vertigo no matter how long I wear them. My ophthalmologist says it is because of reduced wide-vision due to my glaucoma - who am I to disagree.

Last edited by Beemaster; July 10, 2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old July 10, 2013, 10:08 AM   #41
nbk13nw

Re: Shooting With Bifocals

Has anyone tried mutifocal contact lenses? I should have them this Friday. From the basic tests I went thru last week I was able to see both sites clearly and had great focus out to normal shooting ranges. Range time will tell the tale.
Old July 16, 2013, 11:36 AM   #42
MarkL_01

stick-on bifocal lenses

The comment that only the front sight should be in focus and the target should be blurry is in keeping with traditional instruction. However, with age and bifocals, the target is not blurry for me when focusing on the front sight through bifocals, it is completely gone. This can work at short ranges, but it doesn't hold up for more distant targets.

I have used a stick-on bifocal lens on the aiming side and keep both eyes open, so the target is at least visible. Still, I have mostly given up on having the level of precision I used to enjoy. Maybe it's time for a custom set of shooting glasses.

Amazon's price of $29.99 seems an outrage. The same thing is (usually) available from Safety Glasses USA for $7.95, although they are currently "temporarily out of stock". Maybe someone is hoarding.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/bf34.html

I hope this is helpful.

-Mark
Old August 4, 2013, 01:24 AM   #43
eccwong

Re: Superfocus

I bite the bullet and shell out $500 (with 10% discount) for a Superfocus glasses. So far it has been working well. I can adjust the focus to the gun sight or the target or somewhere in between. This is what I use most of the time, now I can see both the sight and target relatively clear (not 100% but a good compromise). It takes some time to adjust and getting used to. Only problem is if you have to look at close object or the target then you have to adjust the focus again. I spent a lot of time on computer so I found an adjustment that I can see the computer and distance objects without adjusting. It is not for everyone and not too many style to choose from. It works well for me for the range and everyday use. Superfocus offer 30 days trial, if anyone what to try it can use 10% discount code SO-009599.
Old August 4, 2013, 07:11 AM   #44
skoro

Shooting With Bifocals

Bifocals are just part of the price of admission to the over 50 club. You just have to get used to focusing on the sights and letting the target get a little blurry.

Geezerdom carries a price tag.
Old August 4, 2013, 07:32 AM   #45
JimPage

"a little blurry" is an understatement! Damn near disappearing is about right to describe how I see the target these days.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old August 4, 2013, 09:12 PM   #46
Auto5

My contacts use the "mono-vision" system: one eye for distance, one for reading. After a few days getting used to them, the brain automatically adjusts between them. The only problem is that my dominant eye is my distance eye and won't focus on the sights. So now I have an artificially created cross-dominance. After decades of shooting modified weaver, I'm now working on going back to more of a modified isoceles with both eyes open.
Old August 6, 2013, 12:13 PM   #47
FlyFish

As others have pointed out, regardless of what the condition of your eye(s) might be, and regardless of whether you add corrective lenses, you can only focus on one distance at a time - everything else goes more or less blurry - and the distance you need to be concerned about is the distance of the front sight. For short money, drugstore reading glasses can take care of that for you.

It is, however, possible to have your cake and (at least under reasonably bright conditions) eat it too. By attaching a simple pinhole diaphragm to your glasses (Eyepal is probably the best known supplier) you increase your depth of field in the same way that stopping a camera lens down increases depth of field. That way, you can usually bring all three elements (rear sight, front sight, target) into acceptably sharp focus. I often use Eyepal with iron sights and they do work amazingly well. The only small downside is that you need to align things so you can see through the pinhole, but if you get it placed correctly on your glasses that happens almost automatically.
SASS #84900
03 FFL
Pemigewasset Valley Fish & Game Club
Old August 8, 2013, 06:59 AM   #48
hemiram

I tried, but just can't get used to bifocals. Driving was scary, and the tilting the head annoyed me big time, and so I just had reading glasses made. I never wear them though, I just look over the top of my regular glasses and get really close to what I'm reading..
Old August 14, 2013, 01:02 PM   #49
Nick_C_S

eldermike has the right idea. That's what I did: I bought a pair of "computer glasses," which are basically weak reading glasses (1.00 in this case), that also have a yellow-orange colored lens (like shooting glasses) that cut blue light ("blue blur," as it's called). Works for me. The target is a little fuzzy, but my sights are sharp.
Old August 14, 2013, 01:15 PM   #50
pax
Staff

A lot of people think that "focus on the front sight," means that the front sight must in focus. This is not true. It simply means that you must concentrate your attention on the front sight, and that you must actively look at the front sight to be sure it is lined up properly with the rear sights.

For those of us who are getting older, this often means that we will put the fuzzy front sight over the blurry rear sight, align them as best we can, and press the trigger smoothly.

Don't destroy your solid, good shooting stance that allows you to have a good recoil control, simply because someone told you that you had to "focus" on something blurry. They just meant you should be paying attention to how it is lined up.

Also, if you are practicing for the purposes of self-defense – not just plinking, but planning to bet your life on your ability to shoot the gun accurately when you need it – it is foolish to be getting specialized glasses for the purpose of shooting. You need to be able to trust your own eyesight as your own eyesight will usually be.

pax