The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old May 30, 2013, 09:37 PM   #26
Ricklin

You did good, discretion is the better part of valor.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:54 PM   #27
Heavy Metal 1

I'm going to bust your chops OP. Why in the world did you WAIT until the guy was AT YOUR DOOR before you locked them? You were in your car w/ your kid, daydreaming to music (code white?), then scanned the lot? Why didn't you scan the lot as you were pulling in and already driving w/ your doors locked? IMHO the only time your car doors should be unlocked is when you are exiting/entering the car. It may have all been just an innocent interaction or perhaps you just got lucky.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:07 AM   #28
Rey de Copas

Simply advice: Always keep the doors locked.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:19 AM   #29
ClydeFrog

business owners/liability....

Id also reconsider patronizing a restaurant or shop that allows vagrants to hassle customers.
In 2011 a 7-11 near where I worked had a homeless guy cut in half by the van door of a scared customer he approached. The street bum was dead on scene. He reached into the drivers side window then the driver hit the gas. The victim got stuck between the door & a metal 7-11 sign.
If a store or fast food place is sketchy then avoid it.
Old May 31, 2013, 01:24 AM   #30
Buzzcook

So did the OP thank the guy for cleaning his side mirror?
Old May 31, 2013, 10:29 AM   #31
Ben Dover

On occasion, there is very fine line between good situational awareness and paranoia. It keeps life interesting.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:41 AM   #32
SgtLumpy

I have been known to take command presence and say something like "STEP AWAY FROM ME NOW", without displaying a weapon. I do that when someone is too close behind me at an ATM or even just in line at the grocery store. Nearly always those situations aren't impending catastrophe. I'm simply letting people that they are in my space and I do not intend to let them continue to be there.

I'm not interested in being polite to someone who invades my space, be they bad guy or simply clueless.

In the case of this window washer scenario, I'm not interested in engaging him in conversation. I'm letting him know that I've escalated the use of force continuum to VERBAL. I am in command of the interface, not the other person. That by no means suggests that I aim and prepare to fire on everyone who gets near me. Bad guys can read command presence. They always know I'm an ex cop. Good guys can either read it as I'm in command or I'm being an Alpha Hotel. Doesn't matter how they interpret it, as long as they comply and exit my space.

Sgt Lumpy
Old May 31, 2013, 12:03 PM   #33
Erikbal

Re: I think I was "approached"... What do you think?

I think you did a good job, and may have very well stopped a bad situation. My only suggestion is that the doors should always be locked until you're getting out of the vehicle. My doors lock automatically at 15mph but I still always lock them as soon as I get into the car, and have tried getting my parents to do the same thing. Glad everything turned out ok though!
Old May 31, 2013, 12:05 PM   #34
dayman

My own - maybe overly optimistic - opinion is that he was probably just mentally ill and harmless.
I'd probably have reacted the same way (lock doors, have gun ready), but I don't think there would have been any justification for drawing on him. We don't even have to conjecture about what he was reaching for. We know the way the story ends - he was going for a squeegee, not a gun (unless you think by not drawing your gun you somehow intimidated him into not going for his).

Also, I'd assume that a career criminal with the wherewithal to case you out that carefully - and to think far enough ahead to have a squeegee - would not dress so conspicuously. Unlike comic-book villains, most real criminals try pretty hard to blend in to their surroundings.
Old May 31, 2013, 10:40 PM   #35
Hook686

Quote:
Doesn't matter how they interpret it, as long as they comply and exit my space.
And if they do not ?

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old June 1, 2013, 12:22 AM   #36
Pond, James Pond

Really all I can say is "all's well that ends well." You weren't hurt, he wasn't hurt and above all your child wasn't hurt.

You did get a scare, but that is no bad thing: reminds us to be vigilant.

However, looking at the story there are nothing but assumptions about his intent, so no I can't say that drawing would have been a good idea.

The only things I could say about him based on the event as described is that he was a wind-shield cleaner with a bit of goth fashion-sense who decided to do you a favour or has a personal intolerance of dirty side-view mirrors.

I think you did well, precisely because you did listen to the voice in your head, yet didn't over react by drawing just because someone is a bit odd. If he was a guy up to know good, your body language would have been screaming "I'm not a day dreamer thinking of other things, I'm already aware of you". Next time you clock someone that trips your alarms, though, keep a closer eye on their advance!!
Old June 1, 2013, 01:02 AM   #37
Lost Sheep

I have done such things. Cleaned snow off people's taillights or rear window at a stop light. I don't usually engage in conversation about it, though.

But in your case, you do seem to have been "interviewed" for a possible hostile act. But with no compelling evidence presentation might have been premature. Getting the gun in-hand wise, as was the door-locks.

In my neck of the woods, preemptive door-locking is still not necessary, but in a lot of cities in the lower 48, it is prudent to keep your doors locked all the time. (Sad).

Lost Sheep
Old June 1, 2013, 09:10 AM   #38
SgtLumpy

Quote:
Quote:
Doesn't matter how they interpret it, as long as they comply and exit my space...

And if they do not ?
They do.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 1, 2013, 09:30 AM   #39
deepcreek

Your situation sounds like a common day in most larger cities. I doubt the guy had a gun he sounds like a goth,grunge,??? black wearing scrounger. I have had countless people try to clean my windshield, "got any spare change", "can you help me out"

You can avoid places that have homeless, hustlers and other shady creatures or you can deal with it and go on with life like most people in the city.

Personally I think knives are the biggest threat with low life city thugs.
Old June 1, 2013, 09:55 AM   #40
stumper1300

I can hear the interview now..... " I was walking towards my car and this man in his car pulled a gun on me. I felt my life was in danger so I pulled mine and shot him."
Old June 1, 2013, 10:17 AM   #41
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

Quite a few trainers offer classes that deal with street interactions. For example: SouthNarc, Insights, KRtraining, FAS - just to name a few.

They are well worth taking. Street approaches can be efficiently handled with the learned skills. Works for me.

About washing your windshield.

When I was in college, I needed a good typewriter. They were quite expensive. My uncle, who had some 'suspect' connections in NYC - suggested paying full price was not necessary. Thus, one evening, my dad, uncle and I went to a less than optimal part of the East Side to purchase said typewriter. So we get the typewriter of a loading dock in a dark and evil alley. As we are going to leave - a dirty man in a long overcoat approaches the car and and asks for money. My dad and uncle were known for combative youth adventures and were not panicked. Uncle says - GET out of here ya bum - work for a living (sidebar-cracks my dad up as Uncle had a suspect income stream). The bum reaches into his pocket. Well, did a gat, roscoe or piece appear? Did a fire fight start. NO - it was a mackerel - which the bum wiped over the windshield of Uncle's car. And he fled. Windshield wipers do not remove fish goo!

Dad and I busted a gut laughing. Dad - says - Tough guy - haha.

If the bum was shot (did Uncle have something illegal in NYC - who is to know?) his claim of self-defense would have been fishy.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old June 1, 2013, 03:24 PM   #42
Stevie-Ray

There is another possibility, though a small one, but the fact that he didn't ask for money or threaten you makes it fit somewhat. Around here there are sometimes people doing strange things to guage and record responses as part of a college project. Are most people paranoid, helpful, beligerant, polite, grateful, etc.
Old June 1, 2013, 03:31 PM   #43
Bluestarlizzard

Sociology 101, term paper: responces to devations from cultural norms.

An older woman in my class went grocery shopping OC and without and compared responces.

This particular example doesn't seem to fit the experiment, unless the location is heavily populated by birds who poop on mirrors.
Old June 1, 2013, 05:13 PM   #44
fragtagninja

I think your reaction was a proper one. You did not escalate the situation, or cause a scene. He very well could have been wearing that get up just to dump it later so the leo's are looking for a guy in all black and he is wearing breezy short shorts lol. Back on track most criminals try very hard to blend in. Sticking out like that is likely to spook the target. That coupled with the heat and the high cost of long coats like that leads me to believe he is simply a local crazy. Though maybe you know them all already? Could just be a harmless drifter, but when it comes down to it. You were ready if things went south and you did not provoke a confrontation. So no one got hurt and the police did not have to get involved. Sounds best possible ending to me.
Old June 1, 2013, 06:15 PM   #45
Onward Allusion

About 2 months ago would more likely be April. In fact there was a string of days in the upper 80's & lower 90's in VA, but I digress.

The OP did good. First by locking the doors and second having his pistol at the ready. The prospective perp likely observed the pistol. Probably should have called the calls just to cover one's self in case the guy decided to call 911 himself.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old June 1, 2013, 06:40 PM   #46
power5

Quote:
I do not think personal fear justifies pulling a weapon, at least not in California.
Feeling threatened is enough for some bad cops to empty mags into innocent people. But I guess they are not held to the same laws as mere civilians.

OP did not ask if he would have been justified in shooting the bum. He asked if he should have drawn his weapon. I find it hard to believe that the bum would be taking down plates or other info for if he decided to go find a cop to report the guy for brandishing. If I cannot see both of the individuals Hands I will have my gun on my lap. I know if he pulls a gun from a bag I will take longer to pull one from a holster trapped next to my seat belt buckle. If he sees my gun, he may also think twice about scratching my paint with his squeegee.
Old June 1, 2013, 06:56 PM   #47
SgtLumpy

Quote:
I do not think personal fear justifies pulling a weapon, at least not in California.
If I'm afraid, it doesn't matter which state I'm in.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 1, 2013, 08:42 PM   #48
Bluestarlizzard

Quote:
About 2 months ago would more likely be April. In fact there was a string of days in the upper 80's & lower 90's in VA, but I digress.
Yet somehow, I didn't break out the tanktops till three days ago... funny, that.
Old June 1, 2013, 09:37 PM   #49
Mr. James

Is there a reason kahrdriver11 hasn't graced us with his presence since posting his question? I hope he's in good health.

I would only say this. Whenever possible, I park in the least populated part of the parking lot. More room to see who's around and who's doing what. Locking the door, both entering and exiting the vehicle, is reflexive. When the butt hits the seat, the door is locked. Now, having a small child with you is certainly reason to be momentarily distracted. It happens. I live in Northern Virginia (the OP didn't specify), but squeegie guys are pretty much unheard of here. I'd have been on high alert if that guy approached me.

All in all, I'd say kahrdriver11 did fine. As one poster said, everyone went home in good health. God be praised.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old June 1, 2013, 11:15 PM   #50
Carmady

Onward Allusion: "About 2 months ago would more likely be April. In fact there was a string of days in the upper 80's & lower 90's in VA, but I digress."

The hottest day in April was the 10th, 91 in Richmond. Look for yourself.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ric...weather/331252
Closed Thread