The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 29, 2013, 05:41 PM   #1
monaco

Best case tumbler wth a lifetime warranty?

I hear a lot about tumbler motors burning out and was wondering if there are any companies that offer a lifetime warranty on the motor?

While many offer a lifetime warranty on the plastic, they only offer 1-3 years on the motor. Even Dillon's is only a 1 year warranty.
Old May 29, 2013, 05:46 PM   #2
jcwit

If you order one from Cabela's it comes with a lifetime satisfaction warrenty.

There model 400 is made by Berry Mfg, made here in the U.S.A. except for the motor, which no one here supplies.
Old May 29, 2013, 05:57 PM   #3
monaco

Does that mean that when it breaks, you call Cabela's and tell them you're not satisfied?
Old May 29, 2013, 05:59 PM   #4
BigJimP

I - and a lot of my buddies --- have one of Dillon's version of the tumbler / and all of them are at least 15 yrs old ...and none of them have burnt out.

It isn't like I run the tumbler every week ....but I shoot about 25,000 rds a year thru my handguns.../ so it gets used quite a bit ...and I know I bought mine sometime in the mid 1990's when I got back into handgun shooting.

If a tumbler runs a year ....I think it'll run for 15 + yrs...
Old May 29, 2013, 07:56 PM   #5
Farmland

While I think any tumbler will do a great job I will have to put a plug in for my Dillon. Bought in 1993 and after so many years of heavy use it is still going strong. I can't count how many times I forgot about it and it ran 24 hours plus.
Old May 29, 2013, 09:57 PM   #6
Daggitt

Mine is from Cabela's and I have had it a long time. I think I bought it for 20 dollars.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:12 PM   #7
monaco

We're getting off track here. I know that any tumbler will get the job done- what I'm specifically looking for one with a lifetime warranty and Dillon- though a top brand- stopped offering lifetime warranties on motors, electronic components and scales purchased after July 1, 1999. So... When people say they've had Dillon tumblers run strong for 10 or 15 years, I can't help but think what changed about their production in 1999.

That said, I've also read rave reviews of people's Harbor Freight, Lymans, Hornady, Cabela's, Frankford & Berry's tumblers lasting 20 years, as well as stories that they have crapped out in less than 1. All things considered, I am a Dillon fan, but it makes sense to buy from whoever currently offers a lifetime warranty and it looks like Hornady is stepping up as the top contender to Dillon's "no b.s." warranty": http://www.hornady.com/support/faqs/warranty-info

So I'm pretty much sold on the Hornady (It looks prettier too), but I wanted to ask what everyone thought before I bought it.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-05-29 at 9.26.03 PM.png (37.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-05-29 at 9.26.12 PM.png (42.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-05-29 at 9.27.39 PM.png (87.8 KB, 24 views)
Old May 29, 2013, 10:54 PM   #8
David Bachelder

Copied from Hornady Page, via your link.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS

Hornady electronic components are covered by a one-year warranty from the date of purchase.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Looks like you are still hunting. I doubt seriously if any manufacturer warrants tumblers for over a year. I have a Lyman and I've had it well over a year. It runs well, very well.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:05 PM   #9
Jim Watson

Agreed, I don't think anybody is going to guarantee those fractional horsepower motors for a lifetime or even for a very long set period.
"Sorry sir, it's lifetime is obviously over with."

That said, my OLD Midway has held up for many years. I think it was made for them by Thumlers, at least it has the Thumler pulley trademark molded into the bowl, just not swiped with paint.
I have a Thumler rotary that a friend polished untold hundredweight of rocks in, still going strong with just a new belt and rollers.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:11 PM   #10
monaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bachelder
Hornady electronic components are covered by a one-year warranty from the date of purchase.
Is an electric motor an electronic component? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_motor
Old May 29, 2013, 11:22 PM   #11
Farmland

I don't get it? No company that I know of offers a lifetime warranty on the motor, as we have read Hornady doesn't either. So what we are left to is users opinions and experiences on the lifetime of the motor. I will be the first to say that there have been Dillon motors that have died.

I think you will find that some do better but which ones are the best probably can not be judged.

You have two people recommend a Dillon and two a Cabellas., so why the Dillon spot light? I feel a set up at the least.

One thing I didn't know was that Hornady would not cover the little things that Dillon does like springs. About the only little thing I think Dillon will not cover is a decapping pin.

Yes a electric motor is considered electrical but you know that.

Now nothing wrong with the Hornady tumbler and it is cheaper so you would have a great deal that should last a long time too.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:55 PM   #12
lll Otto lll

Here you go....lifetime warranty and it's made in the US.

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.co...0-tumbler.html

Personally, I use a couple of Thumlers tumblers and have little concern about warranties.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:22 AM   #13
BuckRub

RCBS !
Old May 30, 2013, 06:45 AM   #14
jaguarxk120

Otto thats a BIG tumbler 40lb! I have the Model B and it works for me, but if someone is reloading in very large quanities that's just the ticket.
Nice thing about rotary tumblers, they don't care what is in them. You can use them dry or with the SS pins wet. The extra steps in tumbling wet are well worth it in how the brass come's out.

By the way the tumblers are made for rock polishing and when a batch is started the machine might run for days till the next step. In our use 4 hours is about it for brass.
Old May 30, 2013, 08:35 AM   #15
David Bachelder

"Is an electric motor an electronic component? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_motor"

I doubt if Hornady reads a lot of Wikipedia or uses the Wiki definition to write warrantiy info. I think it would be safe to assume the electric motor is an electronic component.

Call Hornady, they will be more than happy to define a tumbler motors warranty. Get the info straight from the horses mouth.
Old May 30, 2013, 08:41 AM   #16
David Bachelder

"Here you go....lifetime warranty and it's made in the US.

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.co...0-tumbler.html"

I notice they sell "replacement parts". The motors are listed, so I wonder why a company that offers a life time warranty on tumbler would need to sell replacements?

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck ...... it's probably a duck.
Old May 30, 2013, 08:45 AM   #17
Slamfire

The lifetime of the warranty is going to depend on the lifetime of the business, assuming you live longer than the business or the motor.

I have had a Thumbler's Tumbler since the 80's, the motor is fine, the company is still around and because of the market niche, rock polishing, I think they will be around for a couple more decades.
Old May 30, 2013, 08:53 AM   #18
boondocker385

I believe Harbor Freights policy is if it breaks bring it back for an exchange.....
Old May 30, 2013, 10:21 AM   #19
jcwit

Quote:
Does that mean that when it breaks, you call Cabela's and tell them you're not satisfied?
Returning is the key word here, not calling.

Works just like Craftsman tools.

My experience with Cabela's has been to return the item and I get a replacement with no questions asked, this has even happened with shoes.

So does telling them you're not satisified work?

You tell me!
Old May 30, 2013, 04:40 PM   #20
jepp2

Quote:
I hear a lot about tumbler motors burning out
My personal experience is that motors NEVER fail. I have thousands of hours on my 3 tumbers and have never had any problems what so ever. And I certainly wouldn't pay a premium to buy a tumbler with a lifetime warranty. Kind of like I never purchase the service protection plans on appliances and electronics. That is where the manufacturers make the most money.

But I don't abuse mine. Add the correct amount of media (and that is enough to get very good turnover) and not overloading it with too much brass.

But spend your money how you wish.
Old May 30, 2013, 07:17 PM   #21
dickttx

You could probably get a tumbler with a lifetime warranty at the same place you would get an automobile with one.
Old May 30, 2013, 08:50 PM   #22
jcwit

Well I gave it my best shot and I see some still don't get it.

BTW the Berry tumbler or the one Cabels's sells under their own cost approx the same as the Harbor Freight one made in china. And yes I buy chinese products, but when the prices are similar and one is made here in the U.S.A and the other in china, I'll support our own workers here. Can't see what the problem with that would be.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:11 AM   #23
monaco

Well, I bought my tumbler with a lifetime warranty. $71 shipped. Never have to buy another one.

The Midway 1292 is now discontinued but if you can find one, they carry a lifetime warranty. I called to ask. They confirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwit
Well I gave it my best shot and I see some still don't get it.
I got it.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:39 AM   #24
kilimanjaro

The Thumbler Tumbler Model B is designed for rock polishing, which takes 3.5 weeks of continuous motor operation. There's no lifetime warranty, but for reloading brass, I think it's going to last a long, long time.

I wish I could get a lifetime warranty on car motors....
Old May 31, 2013, 03:32 AM   #25
ZOOM2X

Harbor Freight tumbler problem

I am looking for a tumbler and went to HF yesterday to buy their 2 drum tumbler. The entire body of the drum (both of them - same drum whether single or dual) is a rubber compound which was great but the lid consisted of a flimsy metal lid with a circular piece of the rubber compound screwed into the inside top. THE LID WOULD NOT SNUGLY FIT ON THE DRUM. NO WAY IT WOULD HOLD LIQUID I PASSED. .

Is there some way to make the lid fit and not leak. I'd like to hear from HF tumbler owners. Sounds like Thumbler Model B is the answer.

NRA Benefactor