The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 12, 2013, 02:46 PM   #26
rufusz

sig is still making the 228/m11 in Germany as of last week
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 109_1511.jpg (233.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 109_1512.jpg (231.4 KB, 59 views)
Old June 12, 2013, 02:48 PM   #27
rufusz

sorry for my inability to post pics better, but note the triple ser #s and de stamps, this particular gun was destined for the sec service, but found a new happy owner last week
Old June 12, 2013, 03:01 PM   #28
rufusz

and to re-iterate the earlier comment, 229 slides are machined from solid bar stock, first they are roughed out on a cold cut saw, then proceed to several machining operations, some with several hundred tools, the frames are also machined out of rough cut stock. how do I know? I made several thousand when I worked there
Old June 13, 2013, 11:46 PM   #29
kcub

Quote:
The M11-A1 is bigger and heavier than my G19. I shoot striker fired pistols better than DA/SA. I really don't have a role for this pistol. There's no logical reason for me to own one...but I do. I want to master it's DA/SA trigger. I want to overcome the burden of carrying a bulkier, heavier pistol when its strapped to my waist. I want to because it's one good looking gun. Is this reason enough?
You bet it is. There are way too many guns that are not good looking out there. I find myself encouraging manufacturers to continue building fine looking weapons. Style may not be everything but by God, it isn't nothing.

If you can't master the DA/SA, the Sig custom shop or GrayGuns can slick that up as well.
http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomShop/SpecialCTU.aspx
http://grayguns.com/gunsmith-service...sauer-pistols/
Old July 4, 2013, 02:55 PM   #30
dave9969

since I own an American made Sig I figure I should point out that my Sig while made in America has eaten several thousand rounds with NO ISSUES. I love my gun so much I trust my life to it.
That is about as much of a trust as a man can offer.
Old July 9, 2013, 05:00 PM   #31
wgsigs

Quote:
and used the Mecgar 15 round P229 magazine to bump its capacity. You can covert a existing P228 or P229 into this gun at a much lower cost IMHO.
Just a minor correction. The M11-A1 does not use the Mec-Gar 15 round mags, rather the M11-A1 is built on the P229 .40/.357 frame that has the wider magazine well and uses the new 15-rd P229-1 mags that get their extra capacity from the wider mag body based on the .40/.357 mags, instead of using a different spring and follower like Mec-Gar.
Old July 10, 2013, 01:30 AM   #32
Beemaster

I really like the M11-A1 as a try before I buy option, the drawback that gets me is the 32oz weight unloaded. I understand the steel and aluminum combo beefs up this refined (choose any word you wish from improved to hyped) changes over the M1/228 model.

I guess as an after thought, it can't hurt to lie a bit and tell people the M11-A1 is the gun Naval Aviation Pilots ( I work for Naval Aviators - I make high pressure steam to launch their jets from our test facility in Lakehurst, NJ) and having a gun similar to their service weapon sounds like a good tail to share with coworkers and friends.

My issues are simple. I am left handed and have a severed super-spanatus (sic) the main shoulder muscle which has atrophied and is in-operable. I have a 3 pound weight that I practice lifting to a shooting position and I know 3 pounds is a whole lot more than 2 but it does get challenging and that's not counting recoil, etc..

I do thought think I an fairly ambidextrous (I golf and bat righty) but I am very left-eye dominant - so as much as I would love a Sig, I think a lighter 9mm would likely allow me to shoot more without less post shooting day pain.

The FNX-9 seems like a great, less expensive, yet well rated choice weighing in at 10oz less with full ambi features and one thing I don't mind in a DA/SA is a decocker. I know the DA "is" the safety, but I'm thinking of my wife here too - she's a good multitasker and I don't think there could be enough safeties on a gun in her thinking.
Old July 31, 2013, 02:48 PM   #33
Russmerle

Happily Sigged? ;)

Brand new here so hello all and thanks for hooking me up so quick admin!
I finally pulled the trigger on purchasing the M11-A1... Sadly I haven't shot it yet because I picked it up the same day I left for a TDY. I'm gone a week but am very excited to get home and shoot! I found you guys because I was researching the slide material being stainless steel and what, if any, benefit that brings to reliability... None the less, the fit and function seem great and she fits perfectly as my new IWB CC... I'm going to give her a good cleaning before her maiden range trip but I am pleased thus far.
Russ

Last edited by Russmerle; July 31, 2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old July 31, 2013, 07:35 PM   #34
kcub

Welcome!

I trust you will enjoy that fine pistol.
Old August 1, 2013, 11:24 PM   #35
PITT5150

Did I just get thread-jacked???
Old August 2, 2013, 06:57 AM   #36
Russmerle

Not at all! just saying I absolutely love the fit feel and function of my M11-A1. I've had my share of handguns and this one is definitely something to write home about!
Old August 2, 2013, 09:33 AM   #37
pilpens

Not much gain to owning more 9mm Glocks when you already have a 34 and a 19 except for completing the series. There maybe be something to adding the 26 if for CC, maybe.

It is a want. So, it does not have to be practical.
I would get the Sig
Old August 2, 2013, 09:39 PM   #38
Russmerle

Decision

PITT, have you made a decision yet? Curious is all. I range tested my M11 and have got to say it is a Cadillac of pistols. Especially since you already have a couple of Glocks, I'd suggest the M11. I don't think you would regret it. It is a DA/SA though and is something to consider. I own all DA/SA and zero constant trigger actions or actions similar to Glocks. It's what I'm comfortable with.