The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 27, 2013, 06:02 PM   #51
9mmfan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 26, 2012
Location: Weatherford, TX
Posts: 295
I think the .22 thing was that he was calling them "bullets" and not "cartridges."

Though if I'm wrong, both "lr" and "bullets" should get the point across.
9mmfan is offline  
Old May 27, 2013, 06:06 PM   #52
MLeake
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 15, 2007
Location: Outside KC, MO
Posts: 10,128
Ironically, I was safe with "cc" but screwed up the long form, which should have been "cubic centimeter". Although as Tom Servo noted, milliliter would work...
MLeake is offline  
Old May 27, 2013, 06:12 PM   #53
SHE3PDOG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 27, 2013
Posts: 981
Quote:
Ok what's a clip in the boot camp?
The little 10 round stripper clips we used to aid in loading the detachable box magazines for the M16.
__________________
Semper Fi

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
SHE3PDOG is offline  
Old May 27, 2013, 06:32 PM   #54
tahunua001
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 21, 2011
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,141
my favorite is that springfields are croatian garbage, made in a third world country but whenever I ask them to point out croatia on a map they get real clammy all of a sudden.... I bet most are surprised to go home and have google tell them it's right next door to austria and is one of the nations least affected by the recession.
__________________
ignore my complete lack of capitalization. I still have no problem correcting your grammar.
I never said half the crap people said I did-Albert Einstein
You can't believe everything you read on the internet-Benjamin Franklin
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
tahunua001 is offline  
Old May 27, 2013, 08:16 PM   #55
CharlieDeltaJuliet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 25, 2012
Posts: 750
Yeah 9mmfan, you caught my goof. Just growing up I had always referred to them as bullets and not ammunition or cartridges. As a few more years went by, I learned to correct myself...
__________________
" The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect
themselves against tyranny in Government.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
CharlieDeltaJuliet is offline  
Old May 27, 2013, 08:53 PM   #56
KMAX
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 20, 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,068
I grew up calling ammo "shells" and still do in casual conversation with old friends and family who do the same. Not sure where the name "shells" came from, but if it is common lingo I don't have a problem with it. Only when talking to someone who isn't really familiar with the term.
__________________
This is my gun. There are many like her, but this one is mine.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
KMAX is offline  
Old May 27, 2013, 10:21 PM   #57
LeddSlinger
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 22, 2013
Posts: 13
I was talking to a fella about hunting and I was telling him that I finally drew a buck permit for a trophy antelope area. He told me "I don't even put in for those things, if I want to shoot one, I just go out on the farm and get one".

I said "Oh. you just better be careful because the wardens are always out and about during hunting season" he replied, "I'm not worried, they don't ever come around the farm because one year a warden came around when me and my buddy were hunting without tags and we just took a couple warning shots at him and he's never been back".

I just said "uh huh" and walked away...

I'm sure government law enforcement would just let that one go
LeddSlinger is offline  
Old May 27, 2013, 10:26 PM   #58
Fishing_Cabin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 10, 2010
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by LED
I have a feeling we are getting a little smug here. While there's no doubt know-it-alls exist and draw chuckles, people do say the wrong word or get distracted. How about a story of your own moment?
The closest that I can offer is below. In person I am typically the last to offer my opinion...

One day I went to my local gun store, which was then ran by a longtime family friend. (He was my Dads age, etc, plus he didn't use polite terms either, but he is a great man if you see past the minor impoliteness) When I walked in the store, which was almost empty, he greeted me with "Your <blank> Grandmother fell and broke my <blank> Moms hip! <blank> you!" I was taken back for a brief moment, until it hit me that my Dad had told me a couple of days ago that my Grandma had fell at a social and hurt another woman, but unbeknown to me I didn't know exactly who that other woman was until I walked in the gun store! I have to admit it was funny in an "inside joke" way. Its still an "inside joke" between him and I. Whenever he and I disagree I always quip "let me call my Grandma..." and then we both chuckle. Ah, good times with friends that will unfortunately be reduced in time, as the majority of those I congregate with are older then myself. Such is a part of life. No one else I know of understands the fear that my Grandma puts in the guy. Yes, it was just an unfortunate accident too.
Fishing_Cabin is offline  
Old May 28, 2013, 12:12 AM   #59
Crazy88Fingers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 20, 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 936
I was once passing a table at a gun show when I overheard one fellow explaining to his friend that he doesn't like revolvers because you have to cock the hammer back before each shot. He was holding a double action revolver as he said it.
__________________
"And I'm tellin' you son, well it ain't no fun, staring straight down a .44"
-Lynyrd Skynyrd
Crazy88Fingers is offline  
Old May 28, 2013, 01:13 AM   #60
RBid
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 10, 2012
Posts: 1,056
I've been working behind the counter. I'll be leaving the business at the end of my shift on 6/1. These are some things that I have learned from customers:

1. My understanding of distance conversion was all wrong. I now understand the "Rule of Divide by Three". This means that:

- when measuring the distance to the target, 1 yard = 1 foot. When a guy makes a shot at the length of a football field, that is 300 yards.

- when measuring group size, rounds 1 foot apart = a 4" group.

2. What Newton meant was, "Every action with a .45 ACP produces a mushroom cloud."

3. If you don't know whether or not Les Baer picked his nose & ate it while hand fitting a 1911, you are unqualified to sell guns.

4. Glocks > 1911s.

5. 1911s > Glocks.

6. .22LR is a great defensive round, because you can just shoot a bad guy in the eye.

7. If you use a weapon mounted light, bad guys will shoot at it. They are unfazed by 150-200 lumen lights being pointed at eyes adapted to dim light. They will look straight at it, and shoot at you. Daylight shoots are a lot safer. Without a light to aim at, bad guys won't know where you are.

8. "6 degrees of separation" is a myth. I know this, because everyone I have ever met has a cousin who is part of SEAL Team 6. Naturally, those guys can't talk to anyone about what they do, unless that person is their cousin.

9. Everybody who has ever owned a Five Seven pistol has LE restricted AP rounds.

10. Single stack 9mms are better for women, because they are less powerful than full size 9mms, and have less recoil. For a woman, Kel Tec PF-9 > Beretta 92FS.

11. You can't conceal anything bigger than a Ruger LCP.

12. You don't need a gun safe, you can just hide guns from your kids. It's foolproof. I know this, because "Trust me".

13. Guns with external safeties are child proof. It's science. Duh.

14. The gubmint is buying up all of the .22LR.

15. All you need to be your tribe's "designated marksman" is an AR-10.

16. Everybody needs a carbine, a handgun, a .22 rifle, a 12ga shotgun, and a long range precision rifle for when SHTF. You also need at least 2,000 rounds for each weapon. You'll be taking all of it with you when you bug out.

17. I am not hardcore. I know this, because if anyone screws with many of my customers, said bad guy is going to get hit with 2 in the chest and 1 between the eyes. The shooter will then represent himself in court, tell the jury how it is, and run off with the dead bad guy's super model widow. The only time I have had to draw my firearm, I didn't shoot the bad guy.

18. It's not safe to carry with a round in the chamber. Israelis train their special forces units to carry on an empty chamber, and those guys are almost as high speed as that guy on Hawaii 5-0.

19. Police and military service persons are trained on every firearm, ever. All they do is shoot all day, every day... and write tickets for "stupid things" like DUI.

20. One time, a sniper ran out of bullets. He whipped out a rubber band, and shot a guy in the eye with it. The guy died.
__________________
Currently Own: Beretta PX4 9mm, Glock 23 (Gen 4), Glock 19 (Gen 4) x2
RBid is offline  
Old May 28, 2013, 01:38 AM   #61
aiming fluid
Member
 
Join Date: July 1, 2010
Posts: 41
A gun store owner I know just told me part of the primer shortage is due to the fact that only women can make them (as men lack focus) and their training takes two full years. Oh, and they are all hand made, except for the cup.
aiming fluid is offline  
Old May 28, 2013, 04:36 AM   #62
BigTex308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 26, 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 259
Re: Goofy Things Said At Gun Shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiming fluid View Post
A gun store owner I know just told me part of the primer shortage is due to the fact that only women can make them (as men lack focus) and their training takes two full years. Oh, and they are all hand made, except for the cup.
They actually are handmade but not sure about only women. I'd bet it takes a while to train them but I seriously doubt it's 2 years. But they are made by hand. Every one


He's half right I guess.



Ike
BigTex308 is offline  
Old May 28, 2013, 04:43 AM   #63
LockedBreech
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 6, 2009
Location: Rocky Mountain West
Posts: 3,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBid
4. Glocks > 1911s.

5. 1911s > Glocks.
LMAO hard at your list, RBid, great post. People are so silly. Here we have one gun that is the best of old world craftsmanship and quality and another that is the best of what modern technology and simplicity can give us. Yet any gun shop you walk in to will have people who have found reasons to passionately hate one or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBid
8. "6 degrees of separation" is a myth. I know this, because everyone I have ever met has a cousin who is part of SEAL Team 6. Naturally, those guys can't talk to anyone about what they do, unless that person is their cousin.
L-M-A-O
__________________
Beretta PX4 Type F Fullsize .40 S&W | Beretta 92FS 9x19 Para | Beretta 8040 Cougar Type G .40 S&W | Rock Island Armory GI 1911 .45 ACP | Sig Sauer SP2022 Stainless 9x19 Para | Sig Sauer P6 9x19 Para | Colt Python 4" .357 Magnum | Colt 1968 Det. Spec. .38 Spc. | Ruger LCP .380 ACP | Daniel Defense M4V1 5.56x45 | Alpine M1 Carbine .30 | Steyr M1895 8x56 | Ruger 10/22 .22LR |1943 Izhevsk Mosin-Nagant M91/30 7.62x54R | Remington 870 12GA
LockedBreech is offline  
Old May 28, 2013, 06:34 AM   #64
LED
Junior member
 
Join Date: March 10, 2013
Location: The Heartland
Posts: 174
RBID: a real treat

MORE!
LED is offline  
Old May 28, 2013, 08:56 AM   #65
CharlieDeltaJuliet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 25, 2012
Posts: 750
RBid, just got my vote for best post of the thread........Awesome guys.... I must hear more.lol.
__________________
" The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect
themselves against tyranny in Government.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
CharlieDeltaJuliet is offline  
Old May 28, 2013, 10:05 AM   #66
Fjblair
Junior Member
 
Join Date: January 3, 2013
Posts: 7
Honestly I have heard more inaccurate BS in and around gun stores than almost anywhere else. Some of the conspiracy theory and political/legal misinformation is pretty amazing. I'm not necessarily just talking about employees/owners here but mostly the customers.
Fjblair is offline  
Old May 28, 2013, 10:40 AM   #67
chrisp51
Member
 
Join Date: April 25, 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 80
I recently saw a LGS employee sell a guy a Ruger .22 pistol. When the guy asked about ammo the employee showed him some .22 Lr but suggested that he try some .22 WMR because they had "more power". I interviened and was asked to leave the shop.
chrisp51 is offline  
Old May 28, 2013, 10:48 AM   #68
globemaster3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 28, 2006
Posts: 1,207
Another +1 for RBID!

SARCASM ALERT! The following paragraph contains extreme amounts of sarcasm and should be read carefully for intent. Viewer discretion advised!

But I do need to confirm #20, however. My cousin saw it himself in a classified location in Afghanistan! The sniper's name was Chuck Norris. He was letting SEAL Team 6 tag along, providing security. And that was after he vaporized an entire enemy force with his 1911 .45ACP from 100 yards!

Trust me!



SARCASM ALERT! The previous paragraph contained extreme amounts of sarcasm. Viewer discretion was advised!
__________________
NRA Life Member
Active Duty USAF 1994-Current

Last edited by globemaster3; May 28, 2013 at 02:48 PM.
globemaster3 is offline  
Old May 28, 2013, 12:29 PM   #69
Tom Servo
Staff
 
Join Date: September 27, 2008
Location: Foothills of the Appalachians
Posts: 10,356
Rbid, that was brilliant.

The thing is, you'll hear those things from both sides of the counter.
__________________
Sometimes it’s nice not to destroy the world for a change.
--Randall Munroe
Tom Servo is offline  
Old May 28, 2013, 12:33 PM   #70
Brian Pfleuger
Staff
 
Join Date: June 25, 2008
Location: Central, Southern NY, USA
Posts: 18,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBid
Daylight shoots are a lot safer. Without a light to aim at, bad guys won't know where you are.
That's the funniest thing I've seen in quite some time.

The distance thing, I think you give them too much credit. I think it's more like "Well, Bob said his deer was two hun-derd yards, mine's furder dan his were, so mine mus' be t'ree hun-derd. (Meanwhile, in the real world, Bob's deer was 75 and his was 100)

Incidentally, people weigh animals with the same "methodology". You know, the 150 pound button bucks and the 250 pound 6 points?

These things, even specifically gun related, are in no way relegated to gun shops, either. I own a pizzeria and hear the same nonsense every day.
__________________
Still happily answering to the call-sign Peetza.
---
The problem, as you so eloquently put it, is choice.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Brian Pfleuger is offline  
Old May 28, 2013, 12:48 PM   #71
Beagle45ACP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 6, 2012
Location: IL, USA
Posts: 127
Quote:
I recently saw a LGS employee sell a guy a Ruger .22 pistol. When the guy asked about ammo the employee showed him some .22 Lr but suggested that he try some .22 WMR because they had "more power". I interviened and was asked to leave the shop.
I just would've asked the salesman "Excuse me, can you please show me how you load that ammo into the clip?"

(Yes, I know it's a mag, and hate myself for using "clip" but I feel at that point you have to use it otherwise the poor store clerk would've been confused)
__________________
I have a mild interest in guns. Actually, I think the clinical term is "obsession," but that makes me sound like some kind of gun-nut. Which is fair, since I am.

Wastin' away my future children's inheritance one box of ammo, range fee, and bottle of Hoppe's #9 at a time.
Beagle45ACP is offline  
Old May 28, 2013, 12:59 PM   #72
Dr Big Bird PhD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 26, 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by natman
Cust: What does the 32 in a 4x32 scope mean?

Me: That means it has a 32mm diameter objective lens. That's the one in front.

Cust: What does the 4 mean?

Me: That means it's a 4 power. If the target is 100 yards away, the scope makes it look like it's only 25 yards away.

Cust: Does the bullet still have to go the entire 100 yards?

Me: Long pause - No, sir, the scope merely makes it appear to be 25 yards away. It does not actually warp the space/time continuum.
I lost it to this one.

RBid's were pretty good too. Especially the rubber band sniper.
__________________
I told the new me,
"Meet me at the bus station and hold a sign that reads: 'Today is the first day of the rest of your life.'"
But the old me met me with a sign that read: "Welcome back."
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Dr Big Bird PhD is offline  
Old May 28, 2013, 01:25 PM   #73
LED
Junior member
 
Join Date: March 10, 2013
Location: The Heartland
Posts: 174
I think what he meant, will the full magnification power be realized at a range closer than 100?
LED is offline  
Old May 28, 2013, 01:50 PM   #74
BigTex308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 26, 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 259
Re: Goofy Things Said At Gun Shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle45ACP View Post
I just would've asked the salesman "Excuse me, can you please show me how you load that ammo into the clip?"

(Yes, I know it's a mag, and hate myself for using "clip" but I feel at that point you have to use it otherwise the poor store clerk would've been confused)
It was a revolver so it has a cylinder


Ike
BigTex308 is offline  
Old May 28, 2013, 01:51 PM   #75
Tom Servo
Staff
 
Join Date: September 27, 2008
Location: Foothills of the Appalachians
Posts: 10,356
Quote:
Cust: Does the bullet still have to go the entire 100 yards?

Me: Long pause - No, sir, the scope merely makes it appear to be 25 yards away. It does not actually warp the space/time continuum.
Excelsior!

The oddest call I ever got was from a guy asking for "choke tubes for a .30-06." I tried to explain that such a thing didn't exist, couldn't exist, and wouldn't tighten up the groups on his rifle if it did. He was adamant. Finally, I just told him we didn't stock them, I must have been mistaken, and that I wished him luck in his search.

Some arguments just aren't worth having.
__________________
Sometimes it’s nice not to destroy the world for a change.
--Randall Munroe
Tom Servo is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2014 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.16082 seconds with 7 queries