The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 16, 2013, 08:57 PM   #26
603Country

I had a BAR in 270 years ago. I handloaded Nosler 130 gr SBBT bullets over IMR4064 and that rifle would really shoot. Not as well as my Sako does today, but I did drop a coyote at 365 yards, while shooting from USMC approved sitting position. Had a 6 power Leupold on it back then. I only went to a bolt gun for longer brass life and incrementally better accuracy. And..the BAR was a lot tougher to clean thoroughly than a bolt gun is. Oh, yes, it was pretty darn heavy too.
Old July 11, 2013, 12:36 PM   #27
osirus82

i think the number 1 reason most hunters prefer bolts for hunting is because of weight ( if your actually hunting and not sitting in a blind all day) years ago i was looking for my first rifle for hunting and 3gun comps, bolts just wouldnt cut it- I picked up a .308fnar 20"-- its a fine piece of gear and super accurate. But not the best for walking miles. I dont think i will ever sell it, plus with all those pigs taking over it will be a great hog Reaper going foward.