The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 23, 2013, 08:38 AM   #1
FAS1

Bedside Safe for Handgun w/Suppressor

With suppressors becoming more popular all the time are people looking for a way to store a suppressed handgun for home defense? I am looking for feedback since I have had a few requests lately and made this one to gauge interest.

Old May 25, 2013, 02:42 AM   #2
Willie Lowman

How long of a pistol/suppressor will fit in that?

It looks like the pistol is in some kind of holster in the safe. Can you describe how it works with the can? Does the suppressor sit in the holster as well?
Old May 25, 2013, 10:20 AM   #3
FAS1

It is basically a FAS1-Magnum TL safe with an 8" extension on the front. The suppressor just goes through the end of the holster as it is not sewn together at the top. I will probably need to open it a little more for clearance.

I am still playing with it and haven't had a whole lot of time lately, but initially I put an 8" pvc extension on my Glock 17 and had plenty of room for clearance. I would guess that 8" to 9" suppressor length will work with it being this size. Could make it longer if needed, but I am trying to keep the cost down as much as possible.The holster could be moved about 1" rearward as well.

This is the holster. It will allow a rail mounted light as well.

Old May 25, 2013, 10:54 AM   #4
Doc Intrepid

IMO its a very cool little item, however, I can't imagine that demand will be that high for such a product.

The sub-population of 'pistol shooters who own suppressors' is likely not a large fraction of the total pistol owner population, and the sub-population of 'suppressor owners who keep their suppressors installed on home-defense pistols' is likely smaller yet.

That said, its good to know that such an item could be fabricated up if you really needed one...

Looks nice.
Old May 25, 2013, 11:28 AM   #5
FAS1

Thank you for the feedback. I was thinking along the same lines Doc, but I did have a few requests lately so I thought I would look into it.
Old May 25, 2013, 12:41 PM   #6
Willie Lowman

I have experimented with making a range holster for my P226/Trident 9. I have found that any holster that ends at the end of the pistol's slide will snag on the suppressor.

The Trident, Multimount, and a few others step up slightly in diameter from the recoil booster to the body of the suppressor. The little shoulder at that spot on the can will grab at holsters if the holster doesn't extend past that spot. (In my experience)
Old May 25, 2013, 01:50 PM   #7
FAS1

I'll need to look at that if it goes any further. I talked with one of the silencer stores in the area and I figure I will take it by there to see how the actual silenced gun fits. This is quite a bit smaller in diameter (1" tube) just to check length more than anything. My G17 plus 9".

Old May 25, 2013, 02:36 PM   #8
Willie Lowman

My Trident is 1 3/8" in diameter. Checking the specs of other popular pistol cans the diameters range from 1.25" to 1.38"

Measuring from the back of the barrel of my 226, it is 6" to the shoulder where the recoil booster meets the suppressor body. I know the Multimount is almost identical in size and length, so someone with one of those on a similar sized pistol should need the same clearance.
Old May 25, 2013, 03:47 PM   #9
FAS1

How much total length does your suppressor add to your gun when installed? Under 9"?
Old May 25, 2013, 08:57 PM   #10
Willie Lowman

Yeah, it adds about 8 1/4"

16 1/2" total length. P226 and Trident.
Old May 26, 2013, 07:36 AM   #11
FAS1

Thanks. I think I just need to check on the snagging you mentioned to see how an actual suppressor will fit the holster. Thanks for all the input.
Old May 31, 2013, 09:51 AM   #12
FAS1

I took my prototype to the Silencer Shop in Austin, TX yesterday to get some feedback and check how the suppressors would fit the holster. A Big thanks to those guys for their time and expert opinions.

Tried several combinations with no problems. The only one that "snagged" was a Sig P220 with the Osprey suppressor (which is HUGE). To make it work universally, I will need to use a different holster or extend the length an inch so this style suppressor doesn't stick out past the end of the holster.

All of the round profile suppressors we tried worked perfectly with the existing holster.
Old May 31, 2013, 02:58 PM   #13
Willie Lowman

Good to hear!
Old May 31, 2013, 04:33 PM   #14
BigBoyToyz

Not bad. Also looks similar to the titan gun safe.
Old June 4, 2013, 08:13 PM   #15
FAS1

They have a handgun safe that will fit a suppressed gun?
Old June 10, 2013, 08:51 PM   #16
BigBoyToyz

No I dont think they make one for a suppressed pistol.
Im also safe shopping and like yours more as the price is cheaper than the titan.
Add a handle and one of those mounting plates for the car to easily take the safe out of the car and Im sold.
Old June 11, 2013, 09:54 PM   #17
FAS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyToyz View Post
No I dont think they make one for a suppressed pistol.
Im also safe shopping and like yours more as the price is cheaper than the titan.
Add a handle and one of those mounting plates for the car to easily take the safe out of the car and Im sold.
OK, thanks for your consideration. I don't have any plans to add a bracket or handle right now to mine. If portability is a factor for you then I think the Titan might be a good choice since it already has both and is 10 lbs lighter. It is also able to be dimensionally smaller as well with the way it opens. I never considered mine to be portable or a vehicle safe, although some people have been able to use it that way.
Old June 12, 2013, 04:08 PM   #18
fireman1291

I'd buy one. My wife and I each have a suppressed pistol in our nightstands and I have to go put them away when my 7 y/o niece comes over. This would negate that.

It needs to hold a pistol/weaponlight/silecer though.......
Old June 12, 2013, 05:17 PM   #19
FAS1

Thanks for the input Fireman. The holster will be a modified version of my weapon light holster that is pictured. I'm very close to a small run of them.
Old June 14, 2013, 05:45 PM   #20
c4v3man

Something I may be interested in. Looking at getting a suppressor for home defense, and am also in need of a bedside safe.

Is the gas piston largely the same as what you'd find on a trunk lift-gate? Just concerned about what to do when it needs recharged/replaced.
Old June 14, 2013, 10:10 PM   #21
FAS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4v3man View Post
Something I may be interested in. Looking at getting a suppressor for home defense, and am also in need of a bedside safe.

Is the gas piston largely the same as what you'd find on a trunk lift-gate? Just concerned about what to do when it needs recharged/replaced.
The gas spring is the same one I have been using for the last 4-1/2 years in my standard handgun safes. I haven't sold a replacement yet, but I gladly will when someone asks. They are about $20.

Tags
bedside , handgun , safe , suppressor