The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 17, 2013, 10:02 AM   #1
fragtagninja

1911 fever

Okay so my buddy just got back from a deployment with the national guard a few months ago and we finally got to go out shooting together. I brought my sig and he brought his 1911. This thing is brand new and he has not even taken it apart to clean and lube it properly. That said I was amazed with this pistol. The 1911's that I have handled were just terrible when it comes to function. I handled a ruger sr1911 and it was a beautiful gun. Comfortable to hold with a great trigger, but the slide was just so hard to pull. I'm a big guy and I had trouble with the ruger's slide and the slide lock release was even harder. This was of course the best 1911 I had handled until yesterday. The slide action on my friend's 1911 was smooth and easy to pull back the slide release was easy to reach, which for some reason it isn't always for me even though I have big hands. The trigger was great and the best part was no failures even with hollow points. Now I hear the 1911 is a bit temperamental which is part of the reason I have veered away from it until now. I have caught 1911 fever!

So my hope is to find someone on here that knows a lot about 1911's who can point me in the right direction.

My friend's gun is a Colt Custom Shop 1911. It does not have front slide serrations. It has wood grips and I finish I'm not to familiar with. It is a military commemorative thing that all the guys in his unit bought. I'm pretty sure it is a standard model with special etching on it for his unit.

That said I am looking for a Colt standard production model that has the awesome functionality and reliability that this thing has. If anyone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction I would truly be appreciative. And if there is a model under a $1000 like this that would be even better.

Only Colt models please. I cannot begin to explain how superior this Colt is to every other non colt 1911 I have seen when it comes to function.

Thanks in advance guys as always the forum members here are great.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:19 AM   #2
fragtagninja

After looking on Colt's website I am pretty sure it base on either the series 70 or the 1991 series. I am however interested in any colt 1911 that will be accurate and reliable.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:47 AM   #3
g.willikers

Have you seen some of the 1911s made by guys like Wilson Combat?
Or maybe even the higher end versions from some of the other manufacturers?
There's some mighty fine 1911s out there that are not made by Colt.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:32 AM   #4
CPO15

http://www.1911addicts.com/showthrea...u-1911-addicts...

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f...-1911-a-21860/

I respect the OP's preference for the Colt's, the above links are for entertainment only.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:44 AM   #5
kcub

The op said one thousand not n thousands.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:51 AM   #6
CPO15

Seriously, if he's like me, he'll find the 1911 to be infectious: and, a boy can dream, can't he?
Old May 17, 2013, 12:07 PM   #7
loose_holster_dan

i loved my colt gold cup trophy

second from top left

"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."

Last edited by loose_holster_dan; May 17, 2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old May 17, 2013, 12:26 PM   #8
BigJimP

Just visit retailers in your local area.....I'm seeing a lot of the new Colt's out there ....and they're pretty decent guns on a budget. Find the model you like the best - that has the features you want - and the one with the best trigger you can find. I don't think you'll have any problem finding one at or a little below $ 1,000.

I'm not trying to be argumentative....but all of the high quality 1911's from companies like Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Nighthawk ...will meet or exceed most any expectations on reliability, fit and finish, have very good triggers, etc...and be esthetically something incredible. My personal favorite 1911's are from Wilson Combat ....like the 5" CQB models or the Protector models...but both of those guns are a little over $3,000 these days. But I'll stack my 1911's from Wilson Combat up against any 1911 made..... / both of my Wilson's ran 100% ....right out of the box ( with 230gr RN and 230gr JHP's )...and they continue to run 100% ...even after 40,000 rds thru them over the last several years.

1911's ....if they are well made, well tuned -- and properly maintained will be as reliable / or more reliable --- as any handgun ever made, in my opinion.
Old May 17, 2013, 12:27 PM   #9
Nanuk

Quote:
There's some mighty fine 1911s out there that are not made by Colt.
Bingo!

I have had Colt's, Kimber's, Smith and Wesson's, Para's, Les Baer's all were fine guns. To compare a Ruger to a Colt and based on one experience claim only Colt's are viable is a faulty assumption. If you want a Colt, buy a Colt. The only 1911 I ever had trouble with was a Colt, granted it was an officers Model.

Racking the slide on a pistol is as much technique as hand strength.
Old May 17, 2013, 12:38 PM   #10
Grant D

I've been looking for a Colt 1911 XSE Stainless Lightweight 4.25" Commander .45ACP for over a year now.I went on my LGS website this morning it it said they had one.
I was at the door waiting for them to open at ten,walked in and asked for it, and they said it was sold last night! Just my luck!

I do have a 1991 A1 stainless that shoots great,that I paid $600.00 for used.
So they are out there for under a $1,000.00
Old May 17, 2013, 02:30 PM   #11
Nanuk

Quote:
I was at the door waiting for them to open at ten,walked in and asked for it, and they said it was sold last night! Just my luck!
You have my luck.
Old May 17, 2013, 03:45 PM   #12
fragtagninja

Thanks for the tips guys. I am aware of the awesomeness of wilson combat and nighthawk by reputation only. However I don't see ever being able to drop that kind of money on a firearm period. My chosen career path is a great one, but public service don't make ya millions lol. So unless I saved for a few years or my wife someday decides to splurge on an anniversary gift at some point probably wont happen.

The Colt rail gun seems kinda cool too.
Old May 17, 2013, 03:59 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragtagninja
After looking on Colt's website I am pretty sure it base on either the series 70 or the 1991 series. I am however interested in any colt 1911 that will be accurate and reliable.
That's where I was going to suggest you start and stop your search. They are fundamentally the same pistol, except that the 1991 is a standard production model and it has a firing pin safety (which would be a good thing if you ever plan to carry it), while the Series 70 is a Custom Shop pistol that does not have a firing pin safety.

You should be able to get a 1991 for under $1000. I don't think you can get a Series 70 for less than $1000.
Old May 17, 2013, 04:06 PM   #14
fragtagninja

Seems logical. How much difference does the full length guide rod make? or the lowered ejection port?
Old May 17, 2013, 04:38 PM   #15
g.willikers

The lowered ejection port is only important if you save your brass for reloading.
Less chance of denting the mouth.
Although that's not really a big deal, as the resizing die fixes it.
The full length rod is not important at all.
A good 1911 runs either way, full length rod or no.
Hope I didn't make you feel badly, not being able to afford a Wilson.
I can't either.
It was mentioned just as an example.
Besides, Mrs. Wilson was on a recent podcast and said there was well over a year wait, on some of their guns.
My preference is for the Springfields.
Good guns, good prices, good service.
They have some models, with plenty of goodies, for way less than a grand.
Old May 17, 2013, 04:49 PM   #16
KyJim

The lowered ejection port is beneficial if shooting wadcutters or hollow points in order to allow additional room to eject. It is the "flare" on the lowered ejection port which helps keep the brass from getting dinged so badly.

The only reasons not to get a lowered, flared ejection port are (1) you want a traditional or GI looking pistol or (2) you may be wallowing the gun in the mud.

The military 1911s were renowned for working well out in the field. Part of the reason is the smaller ejection port helped keep out mud and debris. For the vast majority of us, a lowered ejection port will serve us better.

The FLGR is unimportant.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old May 17, 2013, 05:00 PM   #17
fragtagninja

Thanks guys. And no willikers you did not make me feel bad. They are pretty guns and I would never turn one down if given one, but with the economy the way it is most of us unfortunately will not be making purchases on our wish lists.

Plus I have a hard time justifying paying over $1500 for a gun period. Even buying an AR15 I would be hard pressed to pass that price point.

Seems to me we are all a bit on the poor side these days.

Heres to better days and better guns ahead!
Old May 17, 2013, 05:03 PM   #18
g.willikers

"The lowered ejection port is beneficial if shooting wadcutters or hollow points in order to allow additional room to eject."

Why would the shape of the ejection port matter whether the rounds are loaded with hollow points or semi wadcutters?
The bullets are gone, out the barrel, when the cases are ejected.
Or did you mean for ejecting loaded rounds, by hand, when unloading the gun?
Does anyone make lowered ports that aren't flared?
How many 1911s are made these days, without the lowered and flared port.
Old May 17, 2013, 05:06 PM   #19
BigJimP

I like the full length guide rods...but I think the standard GI rods are fine too.

Many 1911's these days have the lowered and flared ejection port...and I prefer it as well.

When I order a 1911....I spec it with ambi safety, a Mag Well ( speed chute ) and I like the triggers set right at 3.5 lbs ...and I'm a big fan of the 1911 in 9mm as well as .45 acp / and I wouldn't want one without the high ride beavertail grip safety either.
---------------
I had this same conversation with a buddy and his girlfriend this afternoon at my local range...and I suggested they look at some of the new Colt's as well. I think there is a lot of value there.

Last edited by BigJimP; May 17, 2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old May 17, 2013, 05:12 PM   #20
fragtagninja

Another question. If the lowered flared ejection port is bad at keeping out debris why is the new marine pistol equipped with it?

And yes willikers some of the colts have lowered ejection ports without a flare.
Old May 17, 2013, 05:24 PM   #21
BigJimP

I don't know that the lowered and flared ejection port attracts more dirt ( but then I'm not sloggin thru any rice paddies anytime soon either ) with my 1911's....

I really like the modern 1911 configurations ( or improvements in my opinion )....and while I'm of an age, where the GI versions were very popular and still the standard military sidearm....I never thought much of them then - and I sure don't want a GI version now.
Old May 17, 2013, 05:30 PM   #22
KyJim

Quote:
Another question. If the lowered flared ejection port is bad at keeping out debris why is the new marine pistol equipped with it?
I didn't say it was bad. I just said the smaller port is better for keeping out gunk. Smaller hole and all. Isn't the marine pistol for special units? Might they want the option to use hollow points if it does not violate international law? Terrorists technically aren't covered.

Quote:
Why would the shape of the ejection port matter whether the rounds are loaded with hollow points or semi wadcutters?
I probably misspoke a bit. The lowered ejection port was pretty much a reaction to the non-FMJ ammo due to reliability issues. Anything that helped with reliability was beneficial -- a bigger hole for the casing to eject. Reliable feeding and extraction just wasn't as much an issue with FMJ ammo.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old May 18, 2013, 10:25 AM   #23
fragtagninja

Thanks again for all the info guys.
Old May 20, 2013, 01:48 AM   #24
trkkshotbry

Hello my name is Bryan and I'm a 1911 aholic.
It is most definitely contagious, my wife is showing symptoms now and wanting a 1911 of her own, that's good and bad. :-)
Old May 20, 2013, 11:58 AM   #25
Ben Dover

I think you would be pleased with an "out of the box" Colt Gold Cup National Match. I was. I would recommend a heavier mainspring if you use if with hard ball or JHP ammunition. The factory spring is set up for mid range target ammunition.