The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 19, 2013, 10:23 AM   #76
saleen322

Quote:
Saleen322, I recently bought SK/Lapua .22 from Grafs & Sons. It was $456. I thought that exactly right for 5k rounds. It is what I paid pre-panic. I was running low and they came through in a pinch. Keep an eye on them if you need more.
I just checked their website and although SK Standard Plus is not listed Wolf match-target (same stuff) is listed at $6.99 and is out of stock. While I am sure they give a better price per case, that would work out to $699 a case. There is a bulk SK that costs less but I really don't know much about it as that is not what I have been buying. Here is the link to their page.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/20044
Old May 19, 2013, 11:41 AM   #77
Mike Irwin
Staff

22-Rimfire,

You're absolutely correct, there's also the second-term "lame duck" election factor that was at work before Newtown.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 19, 2013, 12:14 PM   #78
lamarw

I also agree with your post 22-Rimfire. The question I have is how do we explain this past April being the 35th consecutive month of increased firearm sales? This is close to two years prior to this past Fall and early Winter months you mentioned.

I attribute it to the concern of citizens with the reduction of law enforcement budgets from our economic down-turn. People know their local communities, for the most part, have had to trim police forces therefore response times.

Still, some do not seem to understand why there is a munitions shortage. People do not buy new firearms without buying ammuntion.

There is a larger market and not so much the hoarders and even conspiracy theories. Fear is a major factor, and then we can debate the various factors creating the apprehension.
Old May 19, 2013, 12:24 PM   #79
M1ke10191

Stop buying ammo!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22-rimfire View Post
I think the Senate voting down of proposed gun control legislation has helped a great deal to calm people's fear reaction/instinct. Legislation or proposed legislation will continue, but Presidents really don't want a lot of failed legislation proposals that they really support and push to happen. Looks bad for them; no power or influence. That is probably why the President didn't actively push such gun control legislation early in his first term.

The ammunition shortage started with the re-election of our President in November. At that time, gun sales shot through the roof to record sales highs based on NICS checks performed. It was also the Christmas season buying time.

Then Newtown CT incident happened and the politicans began stomping their feet. NY quickly passed very restrictive gun control legislation. Since then, MD and CO have passed restrictive legislation. You had the ongoing debate in Congress and the media about gun control. The proposed legislation died in the Senate and everyone knew that it was going to be a more difficult road to hoe in the House. Well, those House members didn't get subjected to the intense pressure from the President and their Party when they knew the legislation could influence their future public careers.

It's late May 2013 now and 6 months after the re-election of the President. There is little talk on the News networks about gun control, and inventories are up with black rifles at you local gunshop and prices are down. I would suspect sales of those kinds of weapons are also down relative to Nov > Jan levels.

People who pay attention see inventories of ammunition starting to come back to their local retailers. Prices are coming down, but still elevated over pre-election levels, and inventories will continue to become more robust and suppliers will begin to have popular ammunition in stock for shipment to dealers on request. Things are changing. I expect them to change rapidly in the coming couple of months.

Those that care who would like to maintain a cache of ammunition at home should begin buying on a regular basis in a couple months and start building their cache so that they aren't in the same place as this shortage whether it be firearms or ammunition. Time for some rational buying and planning based on your available resources.
This is without a doubt the best post I've seen so far in this thread.
Old May 19, 2013, 01:24 PM   #80
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Saleen322, this was week and a half ago. I have aready received it. Just keep an eye on their site, the lady I spoke with expected to run the same sale very soon again. I cannot complain, they processed and shipped I the same week. The do not charge shipping, they charge a $6.95 flare rate handling fee. I do not think they even list it unless the get it in. I have never seen it here before unless it is one of their 5k round sales...
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old May 19, 2013, 03:18 PM   #81
Nittespanker

Sales are down for alot of reasons. Christmas bills,tax time,graduations,vacations, hunting season over. I was just in Bass Pro shop and the fishing section looked like they were about to ban rod and reels and tackle.
Old May 19, 2013, 03:24 PM   #82
manta49

No panic buying here bought 600 9mm rds at the weekend plenty available.
Old May 19, 2013, 04:36 PM   #83
saleen322

Good Ammo but not the same thing

Quote:
Saleen322, this was week and a half ago. I have aready received it. Just keep an eye on their site, the lady I spoke with expected to run the same sale very soon again. I cannot complain, they processed and shipped I the same week. The do not charge shipping, they charge a $6.95 flare rate handling fee. I do not think they even list it unless the get it in. I have never seen it here before unless it is one of their 5k round sales...
That is good ammo BUT it is not the same SK Standard Plus/Wolf Match Target I use. Here is that same SK you are referring to that another vendor has listed that Graf & Sons sells for the lower price. Notice it is almost exactly the price that you paid. It is better quality than bulk but below the match target. Hope this clears it up.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/gra...s-4499-shipped
Old May 19, 2013, 05:30 PM   #84
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Yep,I never said it was the Standard Plus, Just said Sk/Lapua .22lr. I have only seen one supplier with the standard plus in stock lately and it was $15.99 a box of 50. I just prefer CCI,Federal and SK/Lapua when it comes to .22's. The best deal I have ever bought on SK Standard was $375 per 5k and paid $35 shipping. thats why the $458 or whatever including shipping wasnt that bad of a deal. To buy any SK/Lapua ammo in store I have to drive almost 3hours..
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old May 19, 2013, 07:58 PM   #85
magnum777

Sooner or later people are going to run out of money and max out their credit cards, things will slow down then.
Old May 19, 2013, 08:27 PM   #86
CharlieDeltaJuliet

That is for sure.. But do you think prices will ever go back as low as before Newtown? I expect around a 10-15% increase after it is said and done. I am low on a few calibers and my brass is wearing out..lol. I am still not paying outrageous prices.. Just keep you eyes open though, I have had great luck at finding ammo at normal prices but it is few and far between.

Midway USA notifications are hit or miss. They usually are already sold out by the time I get the email. Slickdeals.net is good to find deals also. My problem is finding 9mm or 45acp at a reasonable price. Oh well, I do want to thank everyone that posts links to normal priced ammo... It is nice to see our own looking our for each other.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old May 19, 2013, 08:47 PM   #87
22-rimfire

Quote:
The question I have is how do we explain this past April being the 35th consecutive month of increased firearm sales? This is close to two years prior to this past Fall and early Winter months you mentioned.
One word... "Obama".
Old May 19, 2013, 08:53 PM   #88
Kimio

Obama, the greatest gun salesman since Clinton!

Seriously though, all this crap started just as I was getting into the position to where I could start buying ammunition in greater quantities. So I was SOL when everything went flying off the shelves.

Sure learned my lesson, going to be trying to buy ammunition on a regular basis from now on when the stock starts coming back to my local LGS (Not going to be paying the super inflated prices that they have right now)
Old May 19, 2013, 09:41 PM   #89
Vanya
Staff

I think this has run its course, and the "Where is everything..." thread is still available for discussion of the availability of ammo 'n stuff.
Closed Thread