The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 11, 2013, 04:10 PM   #1
Grant1110

Rem. 770 in 300WM

I was browsing through a local gun store and notice they had the Remington 770 in 300 Win Mag, for a decent price. Just would like to know a little about the 770. Thanks
Old May 11, 2013, 05:16 PM   #2
jmr40

Keep looking. They are not well thought of guns. I wouldn't want one in any caliber, but especially not in 300 WM
Old May 11, 2013, 05:39 PM   #3
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I am a huge 300WM fan, but I would have to pass on the 770. Or as it was once called the 710. If it were me I would spend the extra money for the 700 or choose another brand like Savage or Winchester...
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old May 11, 2013, 07:44 PM   #4
Boomer58cal

You know a few years back I'd have said no like others here have said, but not today. About 3 years ago I received a 770 in 7mm mag as a gift. The only things that mark against it are the sticky when new bolt and the plastic stock. I polished the now super slick bolt and it will make mickey mouse heads at 100yrds. The only reason I'd pick my Springfield or enfield over it in a shtf situation is the stock. I wouldn't be stunned if it broke in combat conditions. If you're looking for a cost effective hunting rifle the 770 will fill that bill. The scope that comes with it is cheap but functional, so count on changing scope at some point.

If your budget is limited the 770 will serve you well. If you can spent a few hundred more you could do a bit better, but you'll have to spend double or more for something far better.

Ok. Time for the $1000 rifle snobs to chime in.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer58cal; May 11, 2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: can't type
Old May 11, 2013, 07:52 PM   #5
Mausermolt

for the same price(or maybe a FEW clams more) you can get a ruger american or a savage. dont waist your time.
Old May 11, 2013, 07:57 PM   #6
taylorce1

Much better rifles can be bought for not much more money IMO. Look for an Stevens 200/Savage 110, Marlin XL7, or Weatherby Vanguard. For less than $100 more usually you can pick up a rifle that will expand your options.

You'll have options to upgrade the stock with any of the ones I mentioned. I'm not sure on the triggers of the M770 if they can be upgraded or tuned but again the ones above can if needed. Lastly all the above mentioned rifles can be re-barreled into something different later on, last I knew you couldn't re-barrel a M770.
Old May 11, 2013, 08:10 PM   #7
Boomer58cal

I just had to mention that most of the people that complain about the 770 don't and haven't owned one. Oh... the 770 replaced the 710. They are similar but not the same.

Also... I agree the Ruger American is probably a higher quality rifle.
Old May 11, 2013, 09:18 PM   #8
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I owned one about 3-4 years or so ago. It was a 30-06. I was under the impression that the 770 is just a re-vamped and slightly upgraded 710. It shot decent groups but I never could get over the action. It was not smooth at all. I am not sure if the trigger is replaceable, but that was another flat with it for me. The one thing I do give it is the finish was the best part of the rifle.

There is a world of difference in the 770 and the 700 as far as build quality. I simply am stating that IMHO you can buy a better rifle for around the same price. It would just be a Savage or Ruger..etc.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old May 12, 2013, 02:33 AM   #9
natman

Don't.

The 770 is the most poorly made rifle I've ever seen. For a similar price you can get a Marlin X7, Savage Axis or Ruger American, any of which is a FAR superior rifle.
Old May 13, 2013, 08:14 AM   #10
Mausermolt

well boomer58, i dont own one because i feel like im going to break the bolt handle off every time i work the action. and yes ive shot one in a 243. accuracy was ok....but it felt like i was shooting something that a kid made in a tool shed in the Philippines.....
Old May 13, 2013, 01:53 PM   #11
Boomer58cal

I totally agree with you. She still makes mickey mouse heads and for the $299 that was paid for mine I'm not going to knock it. All I've had to do to it is polish the bold and she as slick as my Springfield.

No I wouldn't have bought one myself( It was a gift), but it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. My 770 in 7mm mag is far superior to the 710 I shot years earlier. Maybe I happen to get a good one. As a hunting rifle she'll do anything a 700 will at half the price. Sorry no pretty wood though.

Boomer
Old May 13, 2013, 02:22 PM   #12
Truckn14269

Don't do it... Before I did that I would buy a Savage Steven.
Old May 13, 2013, 03:25 PM   #13
CharlieDeltaJuliet

As far as a hunting rifle though, Boomer is right. It will work just fine. If you want precision, or the ability to customize it with aftermarket parts, buy a different rifle. It is very limited on the manufacturers that make parts for the 770.

Not sure if the newer ones have a better trigger, but. Sure hope so. That was my main flaw with the rifle...
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old May 13, 2013, 09:11 PM   #14
Boomer58cal

I didn't think about that. I did do a polish job on the trigger, but I've done that to many rifles. Makes them nice and smooth.

A new stock would be a big plus. The stock is my biggest complaint.

Boomer