The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 9, 2013, 09:32 PM   #1
EMN89

mossberg rifle quality

A friend of mine wants to get a Mossberg bolt action rifle in 7mm wsm he said it is a limited edition synthetic stock, the price is $450. My friend asked me what my opinion on the rifle was but I have no experience with any Mossberg rifle so I was wondering if anyone here can can give any info as to the quality and accuracy of these rifles.
Thanks in advance.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:22 PM   #2
tahunua001

well all of the reviews I've read on the MVPs are solid but I have yet to see anyone with a mossberg other than shotguns...

most mossberg threads around here are bashfests started to make fun of the 'chainsaw shotguns' and the 'uber tactical lever action' 646SPX.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old May 10, 2013, 09:13 AM   #3
EMN89

The reviews I found online were pretty good but were few and far between.
Old May 10, 2013, 09:45 AM   #4
Huffmanite

I do not own a Mossberg rifle. But can tell you about a gent I shoot with about every Sunday. He showed up one day with what I recall was a Mossberg ATR in 7mm-08. Not positive it was the ATR model. Rifle belonged to his son, who'd just bought it and Dad had it to zero in the scope and try his 7mm-08 reloads in it while breaking in the barrel. He will bring rifle to range at least three times. After maybe 60 rounds shot with the rifle, he will be favorably impressed with his son's Mossberg. As I recall, when he was ready to return rifle to his son he commented to me, "for a cheap rifle, it shoots pretty darn good.....might get one for myself." He liked the trigger in it too and thought the bolt functioned smoothly in action. Only negative thing he said about the Mossberg is way barrel is installed in receiver, that does not lend itself to be easily rebarreled. As my buddy said, kind of a disposable rifle, you wear out the bore.....might as well as throw the rifle away.

My shooting buddy's last two rifle purchases were thru Remington's Custom Shop. Has a couple of nice Savages too. He can be quite critical on a rifle and will not keep one that does not shoot to his expectations.

So, my point is: if my buddy was favorably impressed with a Mossberg, should be a decent rifle to own.
Old May 10, 2013, 09:50 AM   #5
AllenJ

I too have a friend that has one in 7mm Remington Mag. He speaks very highly of it and says it's very accurate. From what I've heard from him and reading online reviews it sounds like a good rifle for money IMO.
Old May 10, 2013, 11:47 AM   #6
EMN89

Thanks for the replies. I thought it would be a good rifle for the money but didn't know for sure.
Old May 11, 2013, 07:23 AM   #7
Tom68

My son has one, a ATR youth model chambered in .308. It's really a solid rifle and does exactly what it's designed to do, and even shoots 0.5" 100yd groups off the bench with 150 gr. Federal Fusions (everything else seems to be in the 1-1.5" category....still plenty accurate for hunting whitetails at <300 yds).

The boy is no snob either...when he grows about another six inches in height (he's not yet 12) he says he'd just as soon put a full-sized stock on this one as get a new rifle.
Old May 11, 2013, 07:37 AM   #8
steveNChunter

This is a great time to be in the budget rifle market. Several accurate choices. The Mossberg ATR, Ruger American, Marlin X7, Remington 783, Howa 1500, Stevens 200 are all well worth the money IMO

"I never said half the crap that people on the internet claim I said" - Abraham Lincoln
Old May 11, 2013, 08:07 AM   #9
viciouskitty

I purchased one for my girlfriend in 243 about 2 years ago. I went ahead and dropped the action into a boyds walnut stock, and she's been shooting it for a while now. The gun has shot pretty damn good about 1 inch with factory privi ammo, when I get around to loading for it and bed the action I bet grouping can be tightened up even more.

Overall I'd rate the mossbergs as good gun decent quality and fit for the price. Back when they first came out there was not as many good cheap starter guns available, now there is but the gun is still decent and deserves a better reputation than it has.
Old May 13, 2013, 09:07 PM   #10
rduckwor

I have a Mossberg MVP. 18.5" Predator model. It shoots fine and handles very well. The bolt is rough as it has a funky design so it works with AR mags. You get used to it though.

For the price, it does just fine.