The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 13, 2013, 02:08 PM   #1
tahunua001

Lets see your Military surplus Hunting rigs

Hello all,
was browsing the SKS boards yesterday to see what all they had and came across a familiar thread in the C&R section, a certain user asking for hunting pictures involving Mosin Nagants(you know who you are JS). this got me thinking about all of the hunting I would like to do with my military surplus rifles and have been contemplating taking my MAS36 out as a brush gun this spring, maybe even as a bear gun(black bear only, please don't lecture me on 1000 LB, Kevlar wearing, cybernetic Kodiaks that lift weights and snort crack). I'm just curious how many people still enjoy hunting with military surplus rifles and are still successful with them. sporterized, mint condition, run of the mill or super rare, all milsurps welcome. I would post one of my own but have yet to hunt anything larger than squirrels with any of mine... the pics would be graphic to say the least
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.

Last edited by tahunua001; January 13, 2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old January 13, 2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Jo6pak

OK, I'll play

M1896 Swedish Mauser (receiver stamped 1918)
6.5x55mm

Barrelled action sporterized by Kimber
Butler Creek synthetic stock
Weaver 2-10x Scope

I've been hunting with this rifle for more than 15 years. I've flirted with others, but keep coming back to the Swede.
And she can shoot!!
I know the prone group is high/right, but it was shot from prone without a bipod or rest. And I always seem to pull up and right when shooting like that.

Last edited by Jo6pak; January 13, 2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old January 13, 2013, 03:30 PM   #3
tahunua001

not a bad rifle, and the groups aint too shabby either.

also I am a little perplexed why this was moved from hunting to bolt/lever/pump. what about the poor guys that hunt with semi autos?
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old January 13, 2013, 07:12 PM   #4
mxsailor803

I'm not normally a fan of sporterized military rifle but I love that Mauser!!! It is super clean!!!!
Old January 13, 2013, 07:53 PM   #5
Jo6pak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxsailor803
I'm not normally a fan of sporterized military rifle but I love that Mauser!!! It is super clean!!!!
Thanks, she's the proverbial "Old Friend"
I'm a huge proponent of simple, lightweight, handy rifles for hunting. The total package of rifle and scope weighs about 8lbs.
The bipod is not usually mounted on the rifle, it's just to prop up the rifle for the pic.
Old January 13, 2013, 07:58 PM   #6
reynolds357

JO6pk, Kimbers dont count.
Old January 13, 2013, 08:01 PM   #7
Jo6pak

Hehe, does it matter that I bought it as just a barrelled action and put the rest together myself?
Old January 13, 2013, 08:06 PM   #8
reynolds357

Nope. Kimbers are cheating.
Old January 13, 2013, 09:09 PM   #9
Joe Chicago

Here is my 1943 No. 4 Lee Enfield in .303 Brit.
Old January 13, 2013, 09:44 PM   #10
BerdanSS

I'm not for sporterizing...I like "keeping it real"

The Mauser is going to Montana for deer with me this year It's a Mauser Werke Oberndorf, MOA accurate with iron sights at 100 yards (my eyes don't work any father than that un aided) with Match Grade 198gr soft points and a little better even with yugo sniper.

Hey tahunua If you don't mind, would you post a pic of you 36 even if you haven't hunted with it yet? I had a mummy wrapped one with the grenade launcher attachment a ways back that my Dad got me for my birthday one year...lost it due to serious financial hardship

Last edited by BerdanSS; January 13, 2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old January 13, 2013, 10:02 PM   #11
stu925

Ok, here's the rifle my father had built in the late 60's or early 70's. It was built by a local gunsmith on a Carl Gustaf Swedish Mauser action. The action was bedded in a Fajen Mannlicher style stock, bolt was jeweled and a Canjar single set trigger installed. The wood is beautiful and the pictures don't really do it justice, it never fails to get attention at the gun club. Chambered in the original 6.5x55 Swede, this rifle will shoot 1"@ 100yds with my handloads and has killed a bunch of deer over the years. I can tell you my father kept his family fed for about a year with this rifle while he was out of work before I was born. He told me once that he ate so much venison that year that he never craved it again.

Old January 13, 2013, 10:16 PM   #12
tahunua001

alright I'll post what I have but it's a pretty rough specimen. the stock and receiver match but everything else is mix and match. when I got it the stock looked like it had been dumped in a vat of used motor oil before storage and it's been beat up to say the least but with a few coats of linseed and a LOT of CLP the actions as smooth as a hot knife through butter, though the exterior is still quite rough.

Old January 13, 2013, 10:24 PM   #13
BerdanSS

DANG that ol gale has seen some action! Very cool, wish it could talk
Old January 13, 2013, 10:46 PM   #14
tahunua001

the sad thing is that's after steel wool and 3 coats of linseed with 800 grit sand paper buffing in between. as I said, she's beat to heck but the bolts smooth as silk, my birthday's coming up and I'm going to take it out and put it on paper for the first time, the only time I've fired it since I bought it was just to see if it could.
Old January 14, 2013, 01:22 AM   #15
BerdanSS

What mine looked like same condition or better can't put enough

Mine was still mummy wrapped and had the accessory pack, containing the original manual for the rifle and the 22mm launcher (still in plastic) Black rubber slip on pad for when using the launcher and sling.

The 36 would make a dandy little surplus shooter brush gun. It's got everything going for it....short, powerful, rear peep sight.
Old January 14, 2013, 01:52 AM   #16
tahunua001

I've been debating using either 180 speer deep curls or 220 grain round nose soft points, either way it'll drop anything in north Idaho and anything in north america short of Bison.
Old January 14, 2013, 04:02 AM   #17
moose fat

I've got some for hunting Mr. Moose;

A Fazakerly made in 2/45. My thirteen year old daughter claimed, got her first moose year before last with it.

I like them too;

Another 1945 Faz.

A 1942 BSA Maltby with a two groove bbl, my Faux 4T, a parts gun.

1943, SA Super Collosal from "The Garand Guy". I have killed two moose with it. Woops a gas gun, just scroll past. (or it is a bolt when I open the Shuster Adjustable gas plug all the way and cycle the bolt by hand)

My first dedicated kick around in the boat, drop in the sand on a rainy day moose gun. A Model of 1917 Winchester that loves 220 gr. Federal SP, its gotten my family a couple of moose. Since then I have gotten into mil-surps and have developed a respect for older weapons.

My 1943, 1903A3 Smith Corona that I haven't shot any game with but I have a real sweet 200 gr Partition load that I worked up.

I still haven't got a moose with a .303, but my twelve year old son got his first this past summer a with No4 MkII that he claimed.

Those are them!

Last edited by moose fat; January 14, 2013 at 04:25 AM.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:11 AM   #18
BoogieMan

This was my fathers mauser. He dropped a few whitetails with it. So far I have not hunted with it. The old weaver scope fogs easily. I am working on a mount and scope replacement. Then it will draw blood again. I wish I knew more of its history. Best I can tell its a Belgium Mauser chambered 30-06. My Dad set it up so the mag can be dropped out to remove unused cartridges. Honestly who needs more than 1.

Here is the crown if anybody knows more.
Old January 14, 2013, 10:02 AM   #19
velocette

US rifle of 1917, (AKA '17 Enfield) Dayton Traister trigger, stock from someone on this forum, 4 ~ 14x scope + almost a years work, all by hand, no power tools used.
Has its GI barrel free floated and shoots 1 1/4" groups @ 100 yds with my Garand ammo.

Old January 14, 2013, 12:07 PM   #20
tahunua001

moose fat,
a man after my own heart. of my favorite milsurps the top three are definitely Enfield no4, m1917 and 1903A3. very nice taste in guns good sir.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:08 AM   #21
tahoe2

Yugo M24/47 sporter in 8x57mm, original action/barrel, Timney trigger & safety, Rem 700 bolt handle, Pentax 1.75-5x20mm in Leupold rings & mounts.
1-1/4" @ 100 with 180grn Nosler BT's @ 2600fps; 1-1/2" @ 100 with 200grn Speer Hot Core @ 2500 fps Oh yeah," Boyds " walnut furniture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colville hunt 058.jpg (253.8 KB, 93 views)
Old January 15, 2013, 04:58 AM   #22
Keg

Boogie man....Cool old mauser...Yes..I would put a new Scope and mount on it....And set it up to hunt with....
Old January 15, 2013, 05:01 AM   #23
moose fat

Thank you tahunua.

Velocette that is a handsome 1917. Sporterized 1917's have been catching my eye more lately.
Old January 15, 2013, 09:02 PM   #24
brinker

Hello Friends: I like all your military hardware. I've used my 1903 Springfield, on the hunt. Bought it in Hawaii in 1970 from the territorial guard. USMC with a re barrel in Dec of 43. My Step Dad took a 1903 off of Okinawa WWII and later had a local sportatize it. I lived on Okinawa as a Military dependent in 1950. He was transfered to Fort Lewis in Washington State and Hunted with it, until he retired in 1960. I was 13 at the time and had shot a 1903 in Military school. I wanted it, and was really hurt when he sold it while I was away in School, and bought a auto Remington 30-06 carbine.at the PX. I always had the task of cleaning it after the hunt. I have a question for all of you military hunters. How do you get around the max load? I mean In Texas, with a rifle, when you hunt you can only hunt center fire and 5 round capacity, so a M-1 Garrand is illigal, Thats why I use the 1903 Springfield, and I was able to get a 5 round clip for my Mini 14.when I varmet hunt. Are your laws different! Be Safe and fire clean Sunny
Old January 15, 2013, 09:18 PM   #25
tahunua001

every state has different hunting laws. Idaho for example requires Centerfire only but has no limitation on capacity other than the federal 3 shot rule for waterfowl.

in other cases like Montana where I grew up there is no limit you can hunt with a 22lr if you wanted, they do not outlaw rimfires.

in other states like Illinois you can not hunt with rimfire or and centerfire who's bullet diameter is less than 23 cal, meaning 5.45x39mm, 221, 222, 223, and even 22-250 are illegal for hunting.