The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 13, 2013, 09:51 PM   #1
Prof Young

New life for an old shooter.

Shooters:

Some years ago I inherited a Stevens model 66 bolt action 22 from my father in law. He must have bought it pre 1950. It's old enough to not have a serial number. Has a tube magazine under the barrel.

I shot it a few times and mostly just left it in the gun safe. At summer's start I took it out to see what kind of groups it shot. Using a sandbag and the open sights it seemed to group pretty well, but the sight's were hard to adjust and unstable.

Took it to the gun smith and had a scope mounted. They had to use some extra tall rings as the bolt comes up almost vertical. Got it back and am shooting one inch groups at 25 yards and about 1.75 inch groups at 50 yards. Sweet. I'm thinking this will be the first choice for fall squirrels.

Live well, be safe.
Prof Young
Old July 14, 2013, 08:35 PM   #2
PetahW

HORRORS ! ! - You had a scope mounted on a $75 POS, and turned it into a $150 squill-killr.... .

Old July 14, 2013, 09:33 PM   #3
steveNChunter

I wouldn't be happy with those groups, especially for squirrel hunting. 1.75" is bigger than "minute of squirrel head" which is where I like to shoot them to save what little meat there is on 'em. I'm not familiar with that model rifle so I don't know if they are usually that inaccurate. I like a good .22lr squirrel gun to shoot at least under an inch group at 50 yards, ideally about 1/2". Maybe give the rifle a good cleaning and if no better try a different brand of ammo. CCI mini mag is good accurate hunting ammo, if you can find them right now
Old July 14, 2013, 10:00 PM   #4
allaroundhunter

Re: New life for an old shooter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveNChunter View Post
I wouldn't be happy with those groups, especially for squirrel hunting. 1.75" is bigger than "minute of squirrel head" which is where I like to shoot them to save what little meat there is on 'em. I'm not familiar with that model rifle so I don't know if they are usually that inaccurate. I like a good .22lr squirrel gun to shoot at least under an inch group at 50 yards, ideally about 1/2". Maybe give the rifle a good cleaning and if no better try a different brand of ammo. CCI mini mag is good accurate hunting ammo, if you can find them right now
I personally never have problems getting inside of 30 yards to shoot squirrels. A rifle doesn't need to shoot sub 1" at 50 yards to be an acceptable critter gitter.
Old July 15, 2013, 06:30 AM   #5
steveNChunter

Quote:
I personally never have problems getting inside of 30 yards to shoot squirrels. A rifle doesn't need to shoot sub 1" at 50 yards to be an acceptable critter gitter.
you're absolutely right but I would rather not be that limited on range or the ability to take head shots

thats the difference between "acceptable" and "ideal"
Old July 15, 2013, 09:52 AM   #6
jonnyc

My father worked at Stevens in the late '30-early '40s, just before the war. A few years back I ran across an old Model 66B, a rifle he might have handled at the factory as a teenager. Still fun for me to take out and plink now and again in his honor.
Old July 15, 2013, 10:48 AM   #7
g.willikers

If it turns out not be a great critter getter, it can still be a great fun gun.
Get some inexpensive reactive targets and bang away.
Old July 15, 2013, 10:52 PM   #8
Prof Young

Petah, no that's not what I did . . .

Petah

No, that's not what I did.

I put new life in a hand-me-down family gun that I got from a decorated WWII vet and will pass on to his great grand kids when the day comes.

And stay away from parades . . . they don't need to be rained on.

LIVE WELL, be safe
Prof Young
Old July 16, 2013, 08:32 AM   #9
Magnum Wheel Man

I like old 22's... don't shoot them much, but like them non the less...

I have a matched pair of old Stevens Crackshots that I set up for "gallery" type side by side shooting ( just for fun )

BTW... I always love it when everyone talks about just head shooting squirrels... not that I turn down a head shot if presented with one... but, the "tree rats" around here rarely sit still long enough to present a "real" head shot... that said, I have no issues shooting them through the middle... there is not much meat in the ribs or back... I just usually quarter them anyway, so I try to stay away from those areas with a bullet, IMO, a COM shot doesn't waste much meat