The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 8, 2013, 11:52 PM   #1
Eth

1906 DWM American Eagle Luger Value??

Yes obviously I'm one of those guys trying to figure out how much my gun is worth, I figure though if I can part with this one I can buy a couple more to replace it that I might be able to get a bit more use out of.
Does anybody know much about Lugers and rough estimates on this one? I know it's the commercial model, it's the 7.65 (30 Cal), all the numbers match, although I can't find one on the magazine it appears to be original. My guess it's condition would be a bit more than good, everything seems fine just the American Eagle stamp is not as crisp as some I've seen pictures of.
Also shortly after I got it the wooden toggle of the magazine broke, but I finally found a new on on eBay and replaced it and it looks real original, I'll post more pictures tomorrow when I get my better camera out. Any thoughts or ideas would be real helpful! Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5522.jpg (194.3 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5528.jpg (166.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5526.jpg (117.7 KB, 78 views)
Old May 9, 2013, 06:01 AM   #2
BoogieMan

Im no Luger expert but I have been shopping for one lately. I think you know that being 30cal and a commercial market gun it greatly reduces its value. Your looks to be in great shape. FMV $700+-. I would search gunbroker or similar sites to get your best idea of current value. Only consider prices of auctions close to end or ended with bids. Many people will toss a very high number on a gun in hopes that some sucker will buy it.
Old May 9, 2013, 08:09 AM   #3
Winchester_73

American eagle commercial lugers are much better than than the more common "1920" commercials. However, I think the above value could be close despite the gun being better than perhaps boogieman realizes. The issue here that trumps the commercial status is that the gun is reblued, IMO. The US seal is not crisp AND there is no strawing on the small parts that I can see. Sometimes that just means the strawing wore away, but often it means the gun was refinished. The manual safety, trigger, mag release, and the takedown lever should all be strawed for this gun.
Old May 9, 2013, 08:17 AM   #4
csmsss

If that pistol was reblued, it was reblued an awful long time ago.
Old May 9, 2013, 08:21 AM   #5
csmsss

This might be interesting to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njcsj1fkwQM
Old May 9, 2013, 08:39 AM   #6
Eth

Yeah I've seen that Youtube video, thanks, that gun is definitely a lot prettier than mine though. I didn't even think about the strawing, yeah there isn't any visible strawing left, but I never thought it looked reblued either. Can the strawing fade after a long time or something? I don't know much about it.
Old May 9, 2013, 09:17 AM   #7
Eth

Also one other question that I wonder if any Luger experts can answer, on the bottom of the barrel there are some other marks, above where the serial number is, anybody know what they mean? I've been looking at other 1906 lugers online and none of the others have these stamps, just the serial number. Here's an example of one on gunbroker without the same stamps as mine.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=340240788

Here's a picture of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5534.jpg (241.1 KB, 35 views)
Old May 9, 2013, 09:19 AM   #8
Walt Sherrill

It is, of course, difficult to tell from photos, but...

The gun looks as if it has been reblued -- most of the markings look rounded, as though a lot of polishing was required to get the surface ready for rebluing. Those markings should look crisp, and they don't. Compare the markings on YOUR Luger to those shown in photo 13 on the Gun Broker display, and you'll see a very marked difference in crispness. For a collector, that sort of "work" is the kiss of death. (It is possible that I'm seeing things that aren't there, though -- so someone needs to examine the gun in person to make that sort of judgment.)

IF the gun were pristine, it would command $4,000+ (in 7.65mm) or more, but if my interpretation of the photos is correct, this one might bring closer to $1,000. If it has been reblued and heavily polished -- as appears to be the case -- the values are greatly reduced; then, it is demoted to "very nice shooter" status.

I've had a couple of Luger shooters over the years, and one true collectible -- a WWII "bring back" with holster, take down tool, and one matching (serialized) mag; it was that was almost like new -- so I have looked into this topic a little.

Aside: I've decided to ONLY go for "shooters" in the future, as there are too many "doctored" and "faked" Lugers out there, restored or modified to make them appear more valuable than they should be. You really need to know your stuff if you're "collecting" Lugers, and I know just enough to be overwhelmed by the complexities...

My best shooting Luger was a Soviet capture. The barrel was badly pitted internally, near the chamber, but it was one of the most accurate 9mms I've ever owned. (It had all-matching [serial numbers] except for the side plate. It was shot regularly, and finding parts, springs, etc. was not a problem. Good mags -- Mec-Gar makes them -- helped a lot.)

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; May 9, 2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:30 AM   #9
Jim Watson

The stamps on the barrel are
(Crown) B, (Crown) U, (Crown) G, making up the famous Imperial German "BUG" proof marks. Widely used.

17 228 is the bore measurement in gauge, really 172.28, I don't know why it is so oddly spaced.
Yes, a .30 barrel will take a round lead ball of 172 to the pound, and no, I don't know why the Germans did it that way. Later they went to a straightforward measurement in millimeters.

The "Germany" marking is a point of origination stamp required on foreign imports to the USA, beginning in 1903.

I don't know what the (circled) B represents.
Old May 9, 2013, 03:24 PM   #10
James K
Staff

FWIW

Crown B = Proved in the finished condition
Crown U = Final or definitive proof
Crown G = Proof mark for rifled barrels

And, IMHO, the OP's gun has definitely been polished and reblued.

Jim
Old May 9, 2013, 06:39 PM   #11
blchandl2

Is the left grip panel chipped under the safety? That is another deduction and very common.

I would agree that the $700 figure is close. That seems to be the going rate for good shooters.You can try the Luger forums to get input that those that live and breathe these firearms.
Old May 10, 2013, 01:07 PM   #12
James K
Staff

Even reblued and in only fair shape, I think that Luger would bring more than $700, which is going price around here for a really ratty Luger. I would up that to $1000-1200. Nowhere near what a nice one with original finish would bring, though.

Jim
Old May 10, 2013, 01:18 PM   #13
spacecoast

I found a piece of 30 Luger brass at the range the other day... now I know what it goes with!
Old May 10, 2013, 08:35 PM   #14
blchandl2

I bought a 9mm 'shooter' for $625 a few months ago. It has all matching #s, has been re-blued, and has import markings. Also chip in left grip panel.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:20 PM   #15
James K
Staff

"I found a piece of 30 Luger brass at the range the other day... now I know what it goes with!"

Or not. I have a Benelli in .30 Luger. It is (or was) a pretty common caliber in countries like Italy where private ownership of guns in the military caliber is banned. Many 9mm pistols can be changed to .30 Luger with nothing more than a barrel change.

Jim
Old May 12, 2013, 12:02 AM   #16
Eth

Wow, thanks for all the help!! Really got a lot of feedback. And no I don't think it's chipped below the safety, unless I'm not noticing something obvious. Anybody interested in seeing any other pictures of it? I never got around to it yet but I could work on it tomorrow if some of you want to see some more of it.
Old May 12, 2013, 09:39 AM   #17
Walt Sherrill

The "chipped below the safety" issue only really matters if the gun is otherwise a collectible.

(If the grips are original -- probably hard to determine -- they might have value for resale, and you can get replacement grips for your use. Given all the other work done to the gun, I suspect they are NOT originals.)

These comments may seem more negative than intended, as your gun is still quite a nice gun, and one I'd be happy to have in my collection. Most of them are great shooters, and some can be VERY accurate.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; May 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM.

Tags
luger