The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 4, 2013, 12:52 PM   #1
FoghornLeghorn

AR-15

"A" for "Armalite"
"R" for "rifle"

What's the "15" for?
Old May 4, 2013, 02:28 PM   #2
hunttheevil

Armalite Rifle model 15. Armalite built the first AR-15 to present to the .gov for the next battle rifle. Armalite didn't have the manufacturing resources at the time and sold the rights to Colt. Colt manufactured the select fire rifle for the military designated as M-16. A number of years later Colt began manufacturing the semi auto version under the original designation of AR-15.
When Armalite built the prototype they had a $30,000 budget and their Engineer come out the gate with the AR-15 on the first build.
Old May 4, 2013, 02:32 PM   #3
FoghornLeghorn

Yeah, I read all that on wiki. But what does the "15" stand for?

Because it came after "14" as in "M-14?" Armalite had already anticipated approval (for their battle rifle) by the US as the replacement for the M-14?
Old May 4, 2013, 03:57 PM   #4
Alabama Shooter

It was the 15th developmental model. The AR-10 was the tenth. The first rifle was the AR-1. Only a few became big sellers the AR-7, 10 and 15 being the big sellers. The AR-5 was actually bolt operated.
Old May 4, 2013, 04:00 PM   #5
Quentin2

AR stands for ArmaLite and the 15 indicates their 15th firearm design. They weren't all rifles, at least two were shotguns so you really can't say AR stands for ArmaLite Rifle. Most of the old designs faded into obscurity other than the AR-7, AR-10, AR-15 and AR-18. The military M numbers use an entirely different system.
Old May 4, 2013, 06:37 PM   #6
MagnumWill

But what about Remington 1100? The other 1,099 revisions were total failures! same thing with my shotgun. Because Mossberg 499 just doesn't have the appropriate ring.

They were originally developing the F-35 as the F-24 (F22 raptor and YF-23 black widow II) but it got re-named for no apparent reason, and they said "meh! Whatever. F-35." So I don't know if the same thing applies to mil-standard numbering conventions.
Old May 7, 2013, 08:19 PM   #7
Sharpie215

How many manufacturers of the AR 15 are there?

It appears to me there are multiple AR-15 "type" manufacturers. I have 2 questions?

How many are there?

Who has the reputation for best quality?
Old May 7, 2013, 08:27 PM   #8
allaroundhunter

Re: AR-15

How many are there? Too many to count.

Who makes the best? It isn't cut and dry, no specific answer. You can't say one is better than another when there are 100 different versions of the AR15 that act in 50 different roles.

Top quality manufacturers include (but are not limited to): Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, Noveske, LaRue, POF, LWRC, Knight's, Les Baer, Wilson Combat... And plenty more.
Old May 7, 2013, 11:47 PM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:
They weren't all rifles, at least two were shotguns so you really can't say AR stands for ArmaLite Rifle.
Correct. AR is just the first two letters of ArmaLite.
Old May 8, 2013, 12:15 AM   #10
Metal god

Do they still get any money for there design or are they bummed like the guy that sold the rights to the Monopoly game .
Old May 8, 2013, 01:08 AM   #11
allaroundhunter

Re: AR-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god View Post
Do they still get any money for there design or are they bummed like the guy that sold the rights to the Monopoly game .
Patents expired; the only money they get is from the rifles that they sell. But they do still have the copyright on the name AR-15 (and AR-10), I believe.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:35 AM   #12
Quentin2

Today's ArmaLite is an entirely new company, the old company that actually developed "ARs" is long gone. When Eagle Arms bought the rights to the name "ArmaLite" they also bought the rights to "AR-10". Soon after the company became ArmaLite and started rollmarking ArmaLite rifles. They developed a new AR-10B, too. (I shouldn't make it sound like Eagle Arms/ArmaLite is a brand new company, they've been around at least 20 years.)

Colt has the rights to "AR-15" but it's such a generic term everyone uses it to describe the family of rifles. The larger magwell AR rifles also are generically referred to as "AR-10" but only ArmaLite can rollmark that on the receiver.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:39 AM   #13
doofus47

AS
Quote:
Only a few became big sellers the AR-7, 10 and 15 being the big sellers.
Did the AR-18 not count as a big seller? just asking b/c I do see them fairly often.
Honest question from me, since the AR18 came and went before I began looking at the AR family as an option.
Old May 8, 2013, 12:08 PM   #14
tahunua001

I have yet to see an AR18 outside of wikipedia, I never run across them on armslist, at gun shows, or in pawnshops... ever.... period. considering that I have run into bushmaster m17 bullpups which where about the epitome of poor sellers I'm inclined to think that the assessment that the AR18 was not a heavy hitter is probably correct.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old May 8, 2013, 06:48 PM   #15
Alabama Shooter

I have only seen one AR-18 at a gun show one time only. If they were a big seller everyone is keeping theirs. The AR-180 sold a little better and you see these from time to time. Eventually the AR-180 became the AR-180B and adopted some of the AR-15 features.

AR-7,10 and 15 and their clones you can find just about everywhere (ok everywhere when there is not the threat of an AWB hanging).
Old May 8, 2013, 06:53 PM   #16
SPEMack618

AR-18s got a little play on the old "SWAT" tv show, and I think an episode of the A-Team had them as well.

Also, in the first Terminator, Arnold picks one up at the gun shop upon arriving in 1984.

I always thought the AR-18 was a neat looking gun.

And every time I hear someone pontificate over how the "AR-" stands for automatic or assualt rifle, I want to punch a hippy.

ARmalite, folks, ARmalite.

It was a light weight shoulder fired arm. Makes sense.
Big Sister: "Can you not afford a Pelican? Then buy an Allen gun bag."