The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 14, 2013, 03:16 AM   #1
rfxcasey

Cheapest way to domesticate an SKS?

Like the title say, what's be the most cheapest way to be domesticatesin my SKS. All I really want to do is change the stock and put a flash hider on it but noooooooo, I have to jump through hoops first. Seriously, what do most guys (and gals) change to domesticate this cat?
Old May 14, 2013, 03:34 PM   #2
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
I'm guessing by "domesticating" you are referring to 922r compliance?

While I think TAPCO overcharges for the quality of what they make, they have some good info here

Here's a TFL thread on 922r

Best design I've found so far for optic mounts:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...mbo&groupid=71

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/SCP-250

"Weaver" picatinny rail adaptor
https://www.buymilsurp.com/weaver-ad...les-p-253.html

Stay away from the plastic TAPCO scout replacement upper hand guard as an optic mounting option, it's for the "tacticoolness" factor and is not functional as a consistent zero mount. However, TAPCO is the only company I know of that makes a multi position stock for the SKS, and while it comes with that piece of sour sardine upper hand guard it accepts the reliable TAPCO "duck-bill" magazines. The mags count for three parts (mag body, spring, and floorplate) in terms of 922r compliance. The only problem I've had with the TAPCO SKS mags was with the 5 round mag with softpoint ammo, but I for whatever reason my Yugo doesn't like to feed brass ammo anyway. I have an idea what to do to fix that, but it's used as a plinker anyway so I'd rather shoot cheap.
Old May 16, 2013, 09:47 AM   #3
Bacteriophage

Besides chopping off the barrel and replacing the rear sight with a scope mount, that's what I did in this thread.

TAPCO makes complete "compliance kits" that will do it, but I got better quality for less money by shopping around. I got the mag from Sportsmansguide.com, but they're only worth buying from if you're getting several things or already have a membership. Everything else, I got on Amazon through various sellers. The cheapest way I found to get compliant was with a magazine, stock, and COMPLETE gas tube kit (including piston and operating rod, not just the tube).

Contrary to how most people phrase it, it's actually about how many imported parts you have, not how many American ones. You have to replace OR REMOVE 10 of the following 20 parts per 27 C.F.R. 478.89:
(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Butt stocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, hand guards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates

If you know your parts, you can see that a single magazine ($15-20) is 3 parts (18-20 on the list), a gas tube KIT ($55-$85) replaces #9 and 10, and part of #17, and the stock ($50-$100) takes care of #15, 16, and 17. #3 doesn't usually apply. Remove or replace the muzzle attachment, if any, and you're down to 10 imported parts, #1, 2, 4, 6, 7, and 10-14.

This is the cheapest way I can find, as #6, 7, and 10-14 are much more expensive, and the rest of the parts (#1, 2, and 4) are not really replaceable.

Oh, and the Scout Scopes mount I put on mine is rock-solid and does serve as a rear iron sight if you pop off the rail. It requires a medium-eye-relief scope or a dot sight, though.