The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 5, 2013, 06:40 AM   #1
kcub

I want a classic 1911 w/ambi safety

I like the looks of the old school Colt except as a lefty I require an ambidex safety.

I like the standard hammer without holes or jeweling, arched mainspring housing, straight slide serrations only at the back. Most ambi safeties are funky, extended things that ruin the classic look of the original smaller safety.

Is there such a model or smaller ambidex safety?
Old May 5, 2013, 08:45 AM   #2
guncheese

well im sure ill get poo pooed for this, but
http://regentarms.com/products/models/r100.html
in fact im so impressed with the reviews on the Regents
i have a 2 tone stainless job on layaway, but that one has a skelton trigger and such things
Old May 5, 2013, 09:21 AM   #3
g.willikers

There's many sources for both ambi safeties and ambi mag releases.
Just do a web search or go to the usual sources, like midwayusa, brownells, midsouth supplies, natchez supplies, 'etc.
Both are common and easily found.
Old May 5, 2013, 09:27 AM   #4
PawPaw

Well, heck, that's easy. Get the 1911 you want, and have a smith install an ambi safety on it. Brownell's sells one (Mueshe Ambi Safety #621-145-002WB) that might be just exactly what you're looking for.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old May 5, 2013, 09:56 AM   #5
RickB

Colt used to sell the Mueschke ambi as an accessory. I've had one in light-duty use for twenty years, with no problems.
Old May 5, 2013, 09:59 AM   #6
Venom1956

Wasn't their a company that made totally lefthanded 1911s? I forget the name...
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old May 5, 2013, 12:23 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom1956
Wasn't their a company that made totally lefthanded 1911s? I forget the name...
Randall made one, and Dlask in Canada made one.

Cabot Arms, in Pennsylvania, makes one but it's (ahem) "pricey."
Old May 5, 2013, 01:31 PM   #8
RickB

The Randall tooling has made the rounds. After Randall, it was used on the Falcon Portsider, and last I knew, Olympic Arms had it. I've seen one Oly left-handed gun, but I think it was a prototype, and they've never sold any. Caspian, who may have actually been doing casting for the others, had some slide and frame kits available at one time, but I think I read that somebody bought the last one.
Old May 5, 2013, 05:42 PM   #9
CSG

I've had a terrific Springfield Loaded for some years which came with the ambi safety. I bought it mostly as a range gun (had a couple little things done to the trigger) but I've carried it quite a bit as a CCW.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=4

Sorry, rereading your post, you wouldn't like this at all.

Last edited by CSG; May 5, 2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old May 5, 2013, 06:17 PM   #10
kcub

That Mueschke looks like what I need, thanks.
Old May 6, 2013, 09:51 AM   #11
ClydeFrog

Cabot Southpaw .45acp 1911a1 series....

If you have the time & the $$$, Cabot markets a great hand fit 1911a1 pistol made entirely for left handers. As for retro or old school .45s, I'd be hard pressed to find a quality brand that is a true milspec .45acp. Auto Ord, ParaUSA, Kimber, Ruger, Taurus all have 1911a1 models but not all are ambi. I'd consider a ambi safety and maybe a S & A ambi mag release. I'm left handed too and may buy a 1911a1 pistol soon to honor the upcoming 75th aniversiery of the US Army Military Police.

ClydeFrog
Old May 6, 2013, 10:46 AM   #12
Constantine

I have one on my Colt Series 70. I like it. It grew on me.

I have a recent and active thread here on it.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old May 6, 2013, 07:08 PM   #13
KyJim

You might look at an Ed Brown Tactical Ambi-Safety. Narrower than most ambi-safeties out there. It's about 2/3 of the way down the page at http://www.edbrown.com/cgi/htmlos.cg...47314217359049.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old May 16, 2013, 06:08 PM   #14
kcub

Tomorrow I will be trading into a series 70 gov't model Colt. I know about the firing pin safety but what exactly makes the 70 better than the series 80?

Will the Mueschke or Ed Brown hurt its value?

The sights are sucky. What to do without hurting the value?

Constantine, I never saw your thread; a link would be much appreciated.
Old May 16, 2013, 06:30 PM   #15
RickB

There's nothing really "better" about the Series 70, if it's one of the original 1970-1982 versions. In fact, I'd rather "take my chances" with Series 80 than with the collet bushing on the Series 70.
Contrary to what you generally see/hear, "Series 70" does not mean "absence of firing pin block", it means that the gun DOES HAVE what was called the Accurizor barrel and bushing, which were designed to give the accuracy of a hand-fitted barrel bushing without any fitting. The bushing had a segmented collar that applied spring pressure to the barrel when in battery, and the bushings have a reputation (warranted, or not) for breaking and jamming the gun.
Some people replace the collet bushing on the Series 70, just like some people remove the Series 80 bits.
If nothing else, the current Series 80 slide markings are a lot more attractive than those groovy Series 70 markings, baby.
Ambi safeties will leave marks on the right side of the gun, so if you want to preserve the "collector value" inherent in an unmodified gun, you will not be able to hide that the gun had an ambi safety on it.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:22 PM   #16
michael t

Hurt value . Are you buying to collect or shoot . If you shoot or carry going to show ware. If you fell you need a ambi then install one . You can learn to carry and shoot L/handed with out a ambi safety. Was only done for 60 or 70 years by left handed people.
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old May 17, 2013, 06:52 AM   #17
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
You can learn to carry and shoot L/handed with out a ambi safety. Was only done for 60 or 70 years by left handed people
I suppose that is the case, but the 1911 is the only hand gun that I couldn't adapt to easily as a lefty. Simply put I had to have a ambi safety.

Ascetically speaking I also think a 1911 looks better with an ambi safety.
Old May 17, 2013, 07:42 AM   #18
polyphemus

"Ascetically speaking I also think a 1911 looks better with an ambi safety."
Good malapropism for sure but no,that accessory does not add anything to
the M1911 classic lines in,fact it detracts from them but what it adds is an
unnecessary complication to the strip down process.
Old May 17, 2013, 07:51 AM   #19
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Tomorrow I will be trading into a series 70 gov't model Colt. I know about the firing pin safety but what exactly makes the 70 better than the series 80?
I don't see the 70 series guns as being any better then the 80 series.
As a matter of fact the 70 series could be worse, as Colt was having some tooling issues at one time and it showed in some of the original 70 series guns.
Look the gun over very carefully, if the hammer leans to the right it may be best to choose another gun.

Colt also had some breeching issues, if possible disassemble the top end (normal field strip) check the radial lugs on the barrel and in the slide to make sure there's no flanging taking place.

Quote:
Anything you do to alter the gun will change it's value.
As has already been stated if you are wanting to keep the gun in collector condition don't alter it.
If it's to be a using gun then do what you feel you need to do.

Quote:
You may want to first shoot the gun before you change things.
If the gun's to be used as a defense/carry gun you may find the original sights to be fine even though they are small.
Keep in mnd one thing for sure that large blocky sights will do is, obscure more of what you are aiming at.

Again anything you change on the gun will have an effect on the collector value of the gun.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old May 17, 2013, 11:31 AM   #20
kcub

How much will the ambi safety affect the value?

If its $500, forget about it.
If its $100 this lefty is all over it like a bum on a baloney sammich.
Old May 17, 2013, 05:13 PM   #21
KyJim

Hunter Custom's post jogged something --

The first "Series 70" Colts did not have the firing pin block but neither did the Colts before the original Series 70 (Colt tried another safety system for a short time but that's another story). Colt designed the original Series 70 around the collet barrel bushing in an attempt to improve accuracy without hand fitting bushings. In about 1983, Colt introduced the firing pin block (safety) and called these "Series 80" pistols (they later did away with the collet bushing).

Some folks don't like the firing pin safety and a number of 1911 manufacturers did not use a firing pin safety. Those without the safety (or other type of additional safety) became colloquially identified as "Series 70" pistols because that was the last series designation before Colt added the FPS.

Around 2001-02 Colt came out with pistols without the FPS but also without the collet bushing. They also named these "Series 70" pistols. They continue to make these today. In addition, they have made special runs of pistols without the firing pin safety without calling them Series 70 pistols. For example, I have a Colt Anniversary, Tier III model which is a reasonably close replica to the original 1911.

So, "Series 70" can mean three things: (1) the original Colt Series 70 with collet bushing and no FPS, (2) the new Colt Series 70 pistols without FPS, and (3) any 1911-pattern pistol without a FPS or other, additional safety system.

I'm pretty positive that the actual name "Series 70" is trademarked by Colt.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old May 17, 2013, 05:18 PM   #22
KyJim

As to the question, how much would the ambi-safety affect value ---

Unless it is a near pristine condition gun, I don't think it will effect value very much. Collectors want them in pristine condition. Shooters want them to shoot and do what you're doing -- to customize them to some extent. But, I'm no expert on Colt collecting.
Old May 17, 2013, 06:09 PM   #23
kcub

Deal fell through.

So back to square 1. What should I look for that is 1911A1 but with ambi safety. I'm not stuck on a series 70 nor Colt. But all things being anywhere near equal I might as well have a Colt.
Old May 17, 2013, 07:09 PM   #24
RickB

I think the majority of "1911s" on the market today, those that aren't promoted as some sort of retro or commemortative, have an ambi safety from the factory. Just about all of Colts' current offerings, other than the Series 70 repro, the base Series 80s, and the Combat Elite, come with ambi safeties. All Springfields but the Mil-Spec have ambis. Just about everything from Kimber.
Old May 17, 2013, 07:42 PM   #25
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
Is this a classic (old) Series 70 with the collet bushing and accurizer barrel, or a current production Series 70 from the Colt Custom Shop? If it's an original Series 70, what makes it better than a Series 80 is that it's an original Series 70.

Quote:
The only part that gets filed when fitting a thumb safety is the thumb safety, so hang onto the original and value shouldn't be affected at all ... unless the right side safety paddle wears the finish on the right side of the frame.

Quote:
Practice. Or wear prescription shooting glasses.