The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 4, 2013, 11:46 AM   #1
Ozzieman

THe BEST tool for your loading bench,,, if

If like me you’re getting up there in years or otherwise known as an old fart and a slight problem has come along with focusing near and far the optivisor is something you should have on your bench.
Hands free and you can get magnification in several different strengths. Mine has a small very bright LED spot light that I can direct in front of my face and uses a 9 VDC battery that last a long time.
If I’m at my bench loading it’s on my head. For inspecting brass or when you length size it’s a big help.
AND I CAN SEE AGAIN!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/378...-10-lens-plate

Politician's are like diapers.
You need to change them often,,,,, for the same reason!
Old May 4, 2013, 11:59 AM   #2
panamint

Amazon sells these for $25.00 with free shipping if anyone is looking for one. Be sure and get the right magnification since its depends on how far away the object has to be held from you to be in focus. You can buy different lens and the change with just two screws.
Scott
Old May 4, 2013, 12:36 PM   #3
GWS

Ozzieman, sorry to hear you just discovered it. I've used them since about 1980. I wasn't even an old fart then. Unless you are an ultra-human the tool is worth its weight in gold. Good of you to bring it to the attention of folks. I never gave it a thought to. You need a picture! ...I'll help. In fact maybe this ought to become the official "Ozzie's Tools for Old Farts Thread"!

For old tired dim eyes there's one more indispensable product...Meanstreak. From your office supply store.

click on picture below...video. (Hmmm, what's that in the background)

Last edited by GWS; May 4, 2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old May 4, 2013, 12:44 PM   #4
BumbleBug

WOW - two great tips!

My eyes are old & tired too & I'm going look into both of these products!

Please, keep the tips coming!

TIA...

...bug
Old May 4, 2013, 12:58 PM   #5
BigTex308

Re: THe BEST tool for your loading bench,,, if

I have this on mine

Ike
Old May 4, 2013, 01:09 PM   #6
GWS

Ike, almost there.....now get an Optivisor to go with it! Seriously...you take it with you, you don't breathe on it and fog it up, and you don't get queasy looking through it too long, being optics quality that doesn't shift focal point over and over. I have and use both....but the Optivisor gets the most use for looking, the light/lens for lighting......and if I get a small sliver in my finger...both.
Old May 4, 2013, 09:15 PM   #7
Happyhunter201

I use liquid white out with the brush applicator but I'm going to try some of what you are using. I use it on my guns for caliber id., really helps on choke tubes, etc. Can always be removed.

Thanks.........Happyhunter201
Old May 4, 2013, 10:12 PM   #8
DadsMod12

I started using an optivisor around 1970 when I started doing lapidary work. Mine has a loupe that swings down when you need it. I use that when I'm faceting.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:08 AM   #9
Ozzieman

Thank you GWS for those kind comments, actually I have also been using them since the late 70’s, surface mount components are hard to see even with good eyes.
I just purchased my own for my bench since I noticed I was constantly looking over the top of my glasses.
But I have a hard time getting them back from my wife, she’s doll house builder, no not barby, were talking about a plate of strawberries that will set on a dime.
I’m going to have to buy a second set.
Panamint has a VERY good point. They make many different magnifications and some of them you can’t see anything beyond 3 inches and become almost useless (I have one) I have 3 sets and the one I use the most is a #3 which is good from 10 to 20 inches.

Old May 6, 2013, 05:51 AM   #10
hooligan1

And I too keep an optivisor on my bench for inspecting brass and fixing stuff.
Old May 6, 2013, 06:14 AM   #11
Geezerbiker

I got a visor like that but not illuminated at Harbor Freight for about 5 bux. I don't remember the exact price but it was cheap... It's great for reading head-stamps on Hornet cases.

Tony
Old May 6, 2013, 08:20 AM   #12
dickttx

Thanks for the tips. I too have the Luxo lamp and it is very handy for reloading as you can put the light exactly where you want it. As GW stated it is somewhat limited in its magnification qualities. The visor looks really handy.
Old May 6, 2013, 08:46 AM   #13
Happyhunter201

GWS,

You're quite the inventor! Enjoyed all of your videos. Just now getting back into reloading after 30 yrs. As my bench progresses I may want to ask you for some advice and directions, if I may.

Thanks..........Happyhunter201
Old May 6, 2013, 10:28 AM   #14
GWS

Thanks....and sure ask away, anytime, but PM me, so we won't highjack Ozzie's thread.
Old May 6, 2013, 06:23 PM   #15
Ozzieman

Don’t worry about hijacking,,,
Any information is good even if some of us have heard it before.
This is a “any best tool for the bench” thread.
GWS, white out on numbers stamped on metal. WOW, that wins for the “KISS” concept of the day.

And BigTex, ether you drink a lot of coffee or you have found the best use for Folgers plastic containers. And that includes coffee.

Old May 6, 2013, 06:30 PM   #16
dickttx

Good idea on the white out, also. I have wondered for years why all the tool makers tried to hide their numbers. Drill bits, sockets, everything.
Old May 12, 2013, 09:27 AM   #17
Backwoods

Yeah, I can see those being very useful for me.

Tuesday I see the eye surgeon to see about getting my left eye cataract taken care of. Which means I will then have to do something about the right eye, which is very near sighted. Haven't decided on a contact lens or LASIk yet, but sure as hell I'll need some close up help to see small details.

Don in Ohio
Old May 12, 2013, 09:52 AM   #18
BumbleBug

I was in the hardware store & remembering this thread, I bought one of these.

Pretty darn handy, except for those funny looks I get from the wifey!

...bug
Old May 12, 2013, 10:08 AM   #19
RC20

Well I can add some to the list, though if you can't see then the others may be mute (grin)

Primer Tool: The RCBS universal primer tool is easy to slip shell into and not need for the right shell holder!
Very hand friendlily for those arthritic old hands.

RCBS (or the like) case prep: I used to use hand tools for the inside and outside case chamfer, hurts my hands the the motorist case prep helps a lot (and it trims off the 3 little tabs on the HXP Greek ammo cases if your primers are not going in)

Little Crow Gunworks WFT Case Trim: Another hand save and far better than the latch in case trimmers that are erratic for length for whatever reason of case variation
Indexes off the shoulder and works like a charm (lot less hand motion, works with a drill and an inexpensive version of the Gerrard. Larger calibers are switched easier, smaller ones you need one of each.