The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 16, 2014, 10:06 AM   #1
Mosin-Marauder

Finally Decided on Something...

My dad made me a deal that if do a list of chores ( a rather long list that I haven't even seen yet).He would get me a Ruger Mini-14. First was cleaning my room, which I did yesterday, I imagine the next one will be weedeating or something. I'm really excited. The fact that I have to earn it is pretty cool. The one I am wanting is at our Local Wally-World, which he's going to lay away and give to me once I finish the chores. It's a 582 Series Ranch Rifle with a wooden stock, blued finish, and a five round magazine ( I imagine it comes with another mag (I would hope) Just thought I'd share this. Will get a range report up when I get it, hopefully soon, I've been working hard. Anyway, sorry for the random post, just thought you folks would be happy to know I settled on something. Good Day,
-Mo.

Old September 16, 2014, 10:10 AM   #2
SurplusShooter

Your a lucky kid. WHen I was your age (only about 10 years ago) I had to do a long list of chores just to be allowed to go do anything. As my mom always put it "we pay the bills and taxs with money, you pay with your sweat".
Old September 16, 2014, 10:48 AM   #3
Eazyeach

I'm thankful that your parents are bringing you up so well and that you're such a responsible shooter. Here's to the next generation of shooters! Your generation will have a huge responsibility to keep it going for those behind you. Well done youngster. Nice choice on the mini 14. You'll have a blast
Old September 16, 2014, 08:00 PM   #4
10-96

I'm glad to see you to be getting something in .223 Rem.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old September 16, 2014, 08:50 PM   #5
Crazy88Fingers

Love my Mini and suspect you will too.
Old September 16, 2014, 09:56 PM   #6
Blindstitch

If it were my parents making the list it would probably take over a year.
Old September 16, 2014, 10:05 PM   #7
Lucas McCain

Mo, I was wondering about your post and the time that you posted. Weren't you in school, or are you being home schooled? Future gunsmiths have to have a diploma or GED to get into the GOOD institutes.
I don't want to offend you, I only want to emphasize the importance of education and how it enhances successful endeavors of individuals. Just my best wishes to you.
Old September 16, 2014, 11:36 PM   #8
DPris

I think it's a requirement now for teenagers to use cell phones during boring classes.
I'd assume he's going when he's supposed to be going.
Whether he pays attention or not is another question.
Denis
Old September 17, 2014, 07:40 AM   #9
Mosin-Marauder

After I finish my Drafting I work, I have time for the forums. And in the mornings, like now. .

I think I'm a pretty good student, Im not the smartest kid on earth (you guys should know it by now)
Old September 17, 2014, 09:43 AM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

Congratulations, MM! The fact that your dad was willing to make such a deal speaks highly of his opinion of you. He must think that you're responsible enough to have it, or he wouldn't make the deal.

Shoot it in good health!

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman
Old September 17, 2014, 09:47 AM   #11
SPEMack618

Pop bought me a Mini-14 in the ninth grade or so for getting elected into the Beta Club while playing three varsity sports.

Loved that thing.

I was the only kid in my circle of friends to have a semi-auto rifle that was center fire. (This was 2003, so we were still dealing with the effects of the '94 AWB)

Pops bought it a Town and Country Store, which has since closed, and reopened as a Tractor Supply.

The Mini-14 was a great, handi rifle to have around. Ammo was cheap and plentiful at the time.

He also got me two stainless steel 20 round mags from a gun show, and I was two steps below Faceman in the A-Team.

Earn the rifle, and do your best to keep your Dad's trust.
Old September 17, 2014, 11:58 AM   #12
the rifleer

Have fun with it, its a great rifle. I love mine. Unfortunately the 5 round mag is standard and that's all you get, but I actually really like the 5 round mag because its flush with the stock.
Old September 17, 2014, 12:46 PM   #13
2damnold4this

Congrats on your new rifle. .223/5.56 is a good choice. I'm a little surprised that you didn't go for an M&P Sport given your concern for shooting tight iron sighted groups but the mini will be loads of fun.
Old September 17, 2014, 12:51 PM   #14
Mosin-Marauder

I considered it, but not really fond of the AR Platform.
Old September 17, 2014, 01:19 PM   #15
2damnold4this

The Mini is, in my opinion, a better looking rifle with its wood stock than the M&P.
Old September 17, 2014, 01:27 PM   #16
Mosin-Marauder

I agree. How accurate is the M&P Sport?
Old September 17, 2014, 02:16 PM   #17
2damnold4this

My old eyes aren't great at shooting iron sights at 100 yds, so I shoot irons at 25. With one of my ARs (not an M&P), I can shoot dime sized groups with irons at 25 yds. With my buddies M&Ps, I get groups a little bigger than a quarter with irons at 25yds. With my Mini, I got two to three inch groups at 25 yds.

My Mini was an older model and it did shoot a bit better when I first got it but it never shot great. When new, I got one and one half to two inch groups at 25 yards with irons which was still much worse than the M&Ps or any of my ARs. It's easier to clean an AR from the rear than it is a Mini, so I may have damaged the rifling at the crown on the Mini or I may have just shot out the barrel for the groups to open up to two to three inches at 25yds.

My Mini was a lot of fun to carry and use for plinking but it never shot with great accuracy. The wood stock was appealing to me and it might be less intimidating to folks.