The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 6, 2013, 12:34 AM   #26
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-O
500 rounds through a Para is about right. After this many rounds....if you're lucky, it's probably broken and you should just throw it away.
And this gem of wisdom is based on ___?

Over the past fifteen years I have owned several Para pistols, both single stack and double stack. Both my primary competition pistol and my backup are Para double stacks. One of the pistols in my daily carry rotation is a Para. The only one of the various Para pistols that was not 100 percent reliable (over a lot more than 500 rounds) was a P13.45 that I bought used from a small gunshop near my home. The shop has a good reputation locally, so when the owner told me the gun was unfired I was willing to accept that as truth.

And it may (or may not) have been true. However, he did NOT tell me that the pistol had been modified. I didn't find that out until I discovered I had purchased a jam-o-matic. It was bad enough that I wasn't able to fix it myself, so I turned it over to a professional gunsmith who specializes in 1911s, and Para 1911s in particular. His report was that none of the internal fire control parts were factory Para parts. He replaced several parts, did some tuning, and gave it back. His efforts moved the gun from perhaps 20 percent reliable to maybe 80 percent. I then studied more closely exactly what was happening, and I was able to finally cure the problems with a bit of massaging of the slide stop (which was one of the non-Para parts).

IMHO there's nothing wrong with Para pistols. They make some very fine 1911s.
Old May 6, 2013, 07:29 AM   #27
Dan-O

Purchased a ParaCarry 9 a few years back that was good for about 500 rounds and then it became a jam-o-matic. It made two trips back to Para and could never get it to run properly.

I gave up on it as I didn't have time to deal with it anymore.