The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 4, 2013, 04:47 PM   #1
g.willikers

Neat depriming tool

Here's another reloading tool that I didn't know I needed.
The harvey deprimer, from harveydeprimer.com, is an easy way to deprime brass without needed a press.
It works like a hand priming tool, but instead of inserting primers in the case, it removes them.
Could be very handy for depriming before cleaning and tumbling, to get the primer pockets as clean as the rest of the case.
http://harveydeprimer.com/VIDEOS.html
Old May 4, 2013, 04:53 PM   #2
mehavey

You'll find that all the "smart" black-powder/RamBash shooters use this tool to deprime their cases at the range before throwing them in a soapy solution to wash out the powder residue. This tool is also useful with shooters that don't resize cases -- like BP cartridge types again.

They work well... but I don't know how useful they might be beyond that specialized need.
Old May 4, 2013, 05:05 PM   #3
thump_rrr

Watching him fumble with the cases is not inspiring.
I'll stick to my Hornady LnL AP Progressive with case feeder and a Lee Universal Decapping Die.
Old May 4, 2013, 05:13 PM   #4
JimDandy

I do that with my pistol and .223 brass, but for the bigger rifle brass, I got a Lee Hand Press with the universal decapping die. I didn't see the point in paying as much for the decapper only that the hand press with mulitple uses would have cost me.
Old May 4, 2013, 05:38 PM   #5
David Bachelder

Pretty good idea but not for me. I deprime and resize on the press like most everyone else.

I guess the spent primers fly off on the floor?
Old May 4, 2013, 05:43 PM   #6
JimDandy

If the one he's talking about is what I've seen, it's got a holder, and you dump them every so often... the hand press has a hollow ram, and again you just turn it over and dump them every 20ish.