The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 12, 2013, 08:35 PM   #1
JimDandy

Got a new issue now that I started pistols...

So I went, ran through some test loads... first a couple to make sure they were fine, then most of the rest of the hundred for fun.

I had about a half dozen fail to feeds.

They were JHP instead of FMJ like normal, but my SD JHP Factory usually feeds. Could it be the OAL was shorter than the factory JHP, or that the load was too light to cycle the action all the way? They would chaber on a slingshot usually. Sometimes, I had to index, and then use my thumb on the slide like a forward assist.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:10 PM   #2
arizona98tj

Have you sucsessfully hand loaded FMJ for that pistol before? If so, then you may have to adjust the bullet length a bit.

My co-worker discovered that his first batch of 9mm plated hollow point reloads would NOT feed worth diddly in his S&W but ran perfectly in his Springfield XD. It hand nothing to do with too light of a powder charge.

Quote:
They would chamber on a slingshot usually.
Does that mean sometimes they did not? If that were my gun, I would be looking at the ammo assuming previous ammo did NOT exhibit that problem.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:16 PM   #3
JimDandy

I was fine with 230 grain FMJ

This was 185 grain JHP

Yeah a couple didn't chamber even after a slingshot, one of them had the leading edge of the hollowpoint actually get a little mangled.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:30 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

Which brand of bullets are you using? Which powder and how much?

My first thought would be the bullet length. Different profiles of bullets sometimes need to have the OAL of the round adjusted to get them to feed properly. Some rather old pistols have trouble with HP bullets. Way back when, they were not common and some pistols were not always designed to properly to feed them.

Sometimes you can find a load that is giving you good accuracy but might be close to the minimum to cycle a pistol. You could change the slide spring to one a little less strong or possibly add a .1 or .2 of a grain more in powder.

I'm guessing here since I don't have any answers to the 2 questions or the pistol you are using.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:33 PM   #5
chris in va

Probably loaded too short.
Old May 13, 2013, 12:01 AM   #6
JimDandy

the Hornady freebies. They were loaded to just over the OAL in the book so they'd never go under the OAL in the book... over 6.8 grains of Power Pistol
Old May 13, 2013, 01:25 AM   #7
primerman

you might also check to see if the case/s are belled a little too much. I use a taper crimp on mine account when I do the "infamous" plunk test most will not plunk until I take the bell out of the case mouth. I'm too lazy to readjust my die and us less of a bell. If some of your cases are longer than others and you have set your expander die to the short/est case then the bell on the longer case is going to be a little more.

Anyway just a thought.
Old May 13, 2013, 04:27 AM   #8
Nathan

So you say your factory ammo usually feeds? Whst is usually? 1/50 FTF?

If more than 1/200 FTF, you likely have a gun issue which a gunsmith needs to work on.

Otherwise, you should be able to get the HDY XTP's to feed. Sounds like they are stopping right at the last .1" of slide travel. What is the OD of your cartridge in the middle of the bullet and at the case mouth after loading? Use the knife edge part of the caliper to measure the mouth.

Also, is there any perceivable bludge about 0.03" back?
Old May 13, 2013, 07:00 AM   #9
Misssissippi Dave

Some possible things you might do are is to make certain the sizing die is down as low as possible. The Dillon and Hornady sizing dies have more flair then some other dies have. This makes them work better on progressive presses. I generally load this bullet at 1.220" OAL but not shorter than 1.200". Below 1.200 will cause lots of feed problems. 1.220 seems to be better.

As mentioned too much expansion to seat the bullet can cause problems too.

The cases you are using might be range pick ups. Some of those cases may have been shot in guns with larger chambers than yours has. This is the reason to make certain the sizing die is all the way down to remove as much of the expanded portion of the case as possible. A way to check if you have removed enough of the expansion is to remove the barrel of your pistol and drop the ammo you loaded into the barrel. It should drop in easily with its own weight and go in fully. You could press on the end of the case to see if it goes in more or not. Tipping up the barrel and it should fall out. This is often called the plunk test. Any ammo that needs a push to go all the way in or doesn't fall out is going to cause you feed issues.

You might find this is more of a concern with pistols having match grade barrels and cases shot before out of guns without match grade barrels. When all the cases you are using were fired out of the same pistol you are reloading for, (starting out as factory ammo) it doesn't seem to be something that causes as much of a problem.