The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 18, 2013, 02:17 AM   #1
Rey de Copas

Ruger Speed Six fair price?

Hello to all,

I have a question: how much should I pay for a Ruger Speed Six SS 2.75", 90-95% aesthetic, 100% mechanic, 500-600 rounds fired (No box).

Im outside the USA, but here in Argentina we usually take the american market price as reference.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english.
Old May 18, 2013, 10:28 AM   #2
skidder

I would guess anywhere from $450 to $650. They are the hardest of the Six Series to find so they usually command a higher price.

Welcome to the forum from Montana.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old May 18, 2013, 10:31 AM   #3
Revolver1

You're gonna' pay for a Ruger?
Old May 18, 2013, 12:06 PM   #4
Wishoot

Quote:
Why not?

Something wrong with Rugers?
Old May 18, 2013, 02:25 PM   #5
Charles S

Quote:
I would guess anywhere from $450 to $650. They are the hardest of the Six Series to find so they usually command a higher price.
That is a very accurate assessment. The differences in prices vary by region, barrel length, butt configuration, stainless vs. blued, and fixed sights vs adjustable (Security Six vs. Speed Six). My last purchase for a Ruger of that line was $450 and I jumped on that... I did not even negotiate!

Quote:
While Rugers do not have the prestige of Colt, nor the prolifience of S&W... The Ruger Speed Six is one of finest revolver's produced.

I will be happy to compare any of mine at any range (to 100 yards) with the make of any other manufacturer.

Charles
Old May 18, 2013, 05:58 PM   #6
Deaf Smith

BUY IT!

Great gun that will last forever.

Deaf
Old May 18, 2013, 07:27 PM   #7
shouldazagged

Grab it. I still miss the well-worn Security Six I sold years ago. I'm a Smith & Wesson man, but that was a fine revolver.
Old May 18, 2013, 07:41 PM   #8
Workhorse

Hello
I have to agree with Skidder, I would gladly pay $450 to $650 and not hesitate especially in the condition you say, I have a Security Six in SS in both a 4 in. and 2/34 in. barrel and would love to find a Speed Six to keep them company...by the way I see nothing wrong with your English.
Old May 19, 2013, 09:43 AM   #9
Pointshoot

Like with everything - especially gun related - looks like the price has gone up quite a bit. (Well actually the 'value' of the US dollar has gone down. ) It didn't seem all that long ago that market price was $350. Oh well, time marches on.
Old May 19, 2013, 05:26 PM   #10
Rey de Copas

Thanks for the replies, finally I bought it for the equivalent of U$S 400.
Old May 19, 2013, 05:31 PM   #11
Kev

Nice and a good buy!
Congrats!
Old May 19, 2013, 05:41 PM   #12
Pointshoot

congratulations
Old May 19, 2013, 05:47 PM   #13
skidder

Congrats! Great deal on a great gun.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old May 19, 2013, 05:53 PM   #14
smee78

$400 is a good pirce and you cant go wrong with that. Congrats on the new addition.
Old May 19, 2013, 07:27 PM   #15
Elmer

Quote:
While Rugers do not have the prestige of Colt, nor the prolifience of S&W... The Ruger Speed Six is one of finest revolver's produced.

I will be happy to compare any of mine at any range (to 100 yards) with the make of any other manufacturer.

Charles
As a S&W Collector and shooter of over 40 years, I can unhesitatingly say I agree with you. While the actions on them weren't usually quite as smooth as a K frame of the same time period, they were stronger and simpler. My department bought quite a few of them, and I was an armorer at the time. The Ruger's simply never broke. The only guns we had to do anything with were operator error, ie: took apart and lost parts, tried to do a home "trigger job", etc. When we bought Smiths, they sometimes had to be fixed before they were even issued for the first time.

One of my biggest regrets was selling off my small collection of odd variations, back when the interest in them wasn't as high as today. I got about 1/5th of what they'd bring today.

But I still have a couple of shooters, that won't be for sale in my lifetime, or likely my kid's lifetimes.
Old May 20, 2013, 05:25 AM   #16
foghorn25

Congrats!!

I love my Speed-Six and will never sell it. It's one tough wheel gun.