The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 25, 2013, 03:29 PM   #1
arch308

Remington R1 Feed Problems

I recently aquired a used R1 and was really impressed until I took it to the range. What a jammomatic! Granted, I was shooting reloads but they run flawlessly in my other 45s.
First trip to range: very frequent failure to return to battery fully, lacking from 1/8th to 1/4 inch from completion. I had cleaned & lubed prior to going to the range. The gun is fairly new, under 1000rnds thru it. When the jam occurs sometimes I can tap it into lockup, others I can't and the slide is kind of stuck requiring excessive force to clear. The tip of the bullet is marked up a little. I can then manually insert the round and close the slide normally.
I tried replacing the recoil spring with a Wolff 18.5lb, grabbed a Colt magazine and with the gun re-cleaned and oiled it was back to the range today.
Second trip to range: same problem but not as often with a different mag. But still completely unacceptable. This is very dissapointing as the gun shoots accurately and very comfortable.
Has anybody out there expierenced this with their R1? I am real close to just selling it off but am willing to try any reasonable fix. Any suggestions?
Old April 25, 2013, 03:31 PM   #2
Skadoosh

Silly question...have you tried shooting factory ammo?
Old April 25, 2013, 03:33 PM   #3
mlcompound

Re: Remington R1 Feed Problems

I recently got a r1. It only has 100 rounds of factory ammo through it. I will be loading some for it soon. I hope your problem is resolved easily.
Old April 25, 2013, 03:36 PM   #4
arch308

The first trip I actually bought a box of American Eagle ball. It did run better but still jammed twice in 50 rnds.
Old April 25, 2013, 03:55 PM   #5
ac700wildcat

I'd definitely try some different mags along with factory ammo and see what happens. I know you said you tried a Colt mag, but it could be that the gun doesn't like them either. Its very possible that it doesn't like the mags and then your reloads are making the problem worse.
Old April 25, 2013, 04:03 PM   #6
James K
Staff

The description sounds like a tight chamber, probably combined with reloads that are a bit oversize (not resized quite enough). You could 1) find a gunsmith with a .45 ACP reamer, 2) replace the barrel, 3) buy a new sizing die or, 4) return the gun to Remington. If they will fix it for free, the last might be the best choice, at least because it fails with factory ammo. (If the only problem was with reloads, the factory wouldn't really care.)

Jim
Old April 25, 2013, 04:03 PM   #7
Skadoosh

Get a quality magazine and shoot factory ammo...and I bet it will run 100%.
Old April 25, 2013, 04:08 PM   #8
PetahW

After trying factory ammo in it, if it still acts up, I would want to speak with Remington's Customer Service Dept, before selling it.
(It's legal under Federal Law for anyone to ship/receive their own firearm to/from a repair)

FWIW, I have a 1911R1 Standard, I bought a year ago, that now has had about 2K rounds downrange, w/o an isssue - about 85% hardball.

Old April 25, 2013, 04:27 PM   #9
Skadoosh

Quote:
(It's legal under Federal Law for anyone to ship/receive their own firearm to/from a repair)
Really? I did not know that...
Old April 25, 2013, 04:32 PM   #10
arch308

I really don't think it's my reloads because all my other 45s (Kimber, G21, Colt Combat Commander, Ruger SR1911. Ruger P95) run them without a hitch. I also have a hard time believing that the mags are the problem as they are both fairly new factory mags, but I will try with a Wilson Combat and Ruger mag soon.
The tight chamber suggestion sounds very reasonable. I have expierenced that with my Ruger BH cylinder. But why would the tip of the bullet be marked up? Also I neglected to mention that one of the rounds that I cleared had an obvious nick in the base that I assumed was caused by the extractor. Hmmmmmm...
Old April 25, 2013, 05:10 PM   #11
Technosavant

It very likely is your reloads. What's your OAL?

My R1 has a tight chamber, and it fails the plunk test with the same rounds that feed great in three other 1911s. Those rounds has an OAL of 1.25". It feeds just fine if I seat the bullet a bit deeper for a 1.22" OAL.

I found the same thing with my father's RIA 1911. Some guns just prefer shorter cartridges.

Still, I highly doubt Remington will do anything for a gun that won't feed reloads. If factory runs great but reloads don't, it's the reloads. If you haven't tried factory yet, that is a major variable you have yet to isolate.
Old April 25, 2013, 06:03 PM   #12
arch308

Technosavant, you may have a point. The OAL is 1.255. I will load up a hundred at 1.22 and see what happens. I just tried the plunk test and they do but its possible the length is the problem.
I did state earlier that it did jam with factory rounds also, but not near as bad.
Old April 25, 2013, 07:49 PM   #13
RCL

With factory loads (American Eagle hardball) and factory mags I've had zero malfs in my R1 in the short time I've had it. I did have a few malf problems with 2 new Kimber GI mags, until we tweaked the followers, then it was back to business.
Old April 25, 2013, 08:04 PM   #14
ScottRiqui

My R1 had problems as well - the leading edge of the barrel ramp would nick the bullet noses, and sometimes the slide wouldn't go all the way back into battery in the manner you described. At 1.25" OAL, the nick in the nose is right on the tip, and that's when they were most likely to jam. If I shortened the OAL, the nick would move down the shoulder and the feeding would get better.

With 230gn lead round nose, they'd usually chamber, but 185gn SWC don't feed well at all.

I sent it back to Remington, and they polished up the feed ramp a bit, and replaced the slide stop for some reason. It's reliable with 230gn RN now, so I'm calling it good; I'll just save the 185 bullets for another gun.
Old April 25, 2013, 09:13 PM   #15
Technosavant

Quote:
I did state earlier that it did jam with factory rounds also, but not near as bad.
OK, I missed that. My bad.

It's kinda weird how so many 1911s now seem to have tight chambers. Some could have to do with the bullets; the ones I have used have a bit more shoulder than some others, but even Hornady XTPs (no shoulder at all) aren't immune to this.

The thing I was going for with mine was to get the OAL down to where the case head was even with the barrel hood. The 1.25" OAL rounds just stuck up way too much and would cause the symptoms you spoke about. Jammed it up but good in the RIA- even needed to force the slide open by pushing it against a table. The R1 I didn't even try with those rounds; the way they looked when plunked into the chamber just didn't look like it would be successful at all.
Old April 25, 2013, 09:32 PM   #16
TunnelRat

Sometimes there's a reason is gun is being traded/sold. Not always, but it happens.
Old April 26, 2013, 12:21 AM   #17
James K
Staff

There is a reason for tight chambers. When a gun maker buys/makes a chambering reamer, he gets one on the outer edge of the specs for that cartridge. When the reamer gets dull, the tool room sharpens it, removing some metal. That goes on until the reamer is cutting chambers on the small edge of the spec. But a maker who wants to save a buck might go down a bit more before tossing that expensive reamer.

The chamber throat is cut with the same reamer as the body of the chamber, so the above applies to that also.

Meanwhile, the ammo maker and makers of loading dies are also using reamers on their dies, and buying large ones to turn into small ones the same way as the gun or barrel maker. So if the ammo maker uses a large reamer for his case forming die, his brass is a tad large, though in spec. But we are talking thousandths of an inch and mass production. So if a cartridge case that is a bit larger than it should be meets a chamber that is a bit smaller than it should be, there might be a seating problem.

Jim
Old April 26, 2013, 05:36 AM   #18
thedudeabides

Quote:
There is a reason for tight chambers. When a gun maker buys/makes a chambering reamer, he gets one on the outer edge of the specs for that cartridge. When the reamer gets dull, the tool room sharpens it, removing some metal. That goes on until the reamer is cutting chambers on the small edge of the spec. But a maker who wants to save a buck might go down a bit more before tossing that expensive reamer.
I had this happen with a Sig 1911 of all guns. I think it's crappy and cheap way to conduct business. I wonder how much money saved on the reamer is lost by customers sending their guns back to the manufacturer for fixing of the tight chamber.

...mercifully the tight chamber is usually because there's a bigger than usual "shelf" at the end of the feed ramp that makes it hard for the cartridge to slide into the tight chamber. Minimal polishing or working the gun out with snap caps will fix 90% of the problems. Rarely do you need to ream out the firing chamber. Ironically those really tight fitting guns usually translate into good range guns once they stop malfunctioning.

I wonder if "higher end" 1911s are made towards the early to mid life cycle of the reamer?
Old April 26, 2013, 06:29 AM   #19
745SW

If you want to know whether your chamber is tight compared to the all metal S&W pistols that have the reputation of eating virtually anything use the Traditions 45ACP snap cap. I think the part number on the package of six pieces is ASA45. Many will complain because it will jam in their pistols but not in the S&W.

Last edited by 745SW; April 26, 2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old April 26, 2013, 09:43 AM   #20
Constantine

I'm sorry Arch, it has to be you. The Glock 30 was a jamm-o-matic with you and now the R1? ::joke, kinda::

(I love the bike.. Yamaha R1. Had the R6.)

I hate telling people this, but it always yields the best results. I'd give Remington a call and explain the whole story to them. Send pics, detailed explanation, etc.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old April 26, 2013, 07:52 PM   #21
arch308

Now Constatine, be nice. The G30 was me, no doubt. And this may also be my fault as in my reloads. But I swear, they run perfectly in my other 45s. Honest! I haven't given up on the R1 yet. I'm going to try some slightly shorter COL reloads and some of my stash of UMC ammo. If the problem persists I will take your advice and give the folks at Remington a call. This problem may be why I got a good deal on the gun. Time will tell.
Thanks all for the words of wisdom.
Old April 26, 2013, 08:50 PM   #22
orionengnr

Quote:
I can then manually insert the round and close the slide normally.
If you are talking about putting the round into the chamber, then dropping the slide...you might want to read up on that. Generally considered "not a good idea" on a 1911 with a conventional (internal) extractor.
Old April 26, 2013, 09:20 PM   #23
arch308

It's not something I normally do. At the time I was just curious if the cartridge would fit the chamber. I have heard it's not a good practice.
Thanks for the warning.
Old April 26, 2013, 09:40 PM   #24
Constantine

Remington R1 Feed Problems

Just messing with you for the most part. I hope your guns NEVER fail on you in any way, shape, or form. I really hope you get it all sorted out asap. Could be ammo. After all, it is a 1911.

I'd try Wilson Combat magazines and some good range ammo. Should run top notch. That's what I would honestly do. Along with a recoil spring just to be safe. Maybe even take the extractor to get checked out.

Sending good juju your way brother. Sorry about the comment. It's not your fault, I was really just messing with the coincidence.
Old April 26, 2013, 09:52 PM   #25
arch308

No offense taken brother. Just messin back at 'cha.