The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2013, 03:45 PM   #1
ronz

anyone have a good source for isotope containers?

the person I was getting it from on castboolits isn't selling anymore
Old April 5, 2013, 09:45 PM   #2
Miata Mike

I would like to know the same thing ronz. Maybe we can find a source somewhere between us.
Old April 5, 2013, 10:24 PM   #3
Miata Mike

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ullets+isotope
Old April 6, 2013, 06:55 AM   #4
Beagle333

Different size isotope containers have different mixes of lead in them, so ask Jerry which kind that is, and if it needs anything in it before casting. In that ad, he says it is the "soft" isotope lead. 'Dunno what that means, but I'm shooting some isotope lead that is 95-2.5-2.5 and it is great just as is.
But I do know they make more than one kind of isotope container.
Old April 6, 2013, 03:59 PM   #5
Mike / Tx

Yep unfortunately our good buddy Muddy Creek Sam passed away early this year. He was a stand up fellow and great to do business with. I don't even know how many pounds of the Iso lead I picked up from him but it was a bunch.

Jerry has what is referred to as Grey Cube if you look at the listing of different types here, Isotope Lead

I have around 6-8 of them they weigh around 23-24# per container, and come in to halves a top and bottom. They are for the most part dead soft, and I use them for pure when I need change up the straight LG Core or soften up WW alloy. He is charging a bit more than what Sam used to charge but he is also traveling a LOT further to get it than Sam had to as well. For him to go pick up a load it is an over night trip.

Not sure if or when he might get some of the LG cores in hand but if he does those are great for just about any general SWC or WFP, not so good for the HP's though.
Old April 7, 2013, 12:59 AM   #6
ronz

I was getting the 95/2.5/2.5 worked real nice wish I had bought more when I had the chance

a friend of mine gave me 75lb of so of almost pure lead today
was avoiding alloying or even making my own ingots until now
but looks like I need to get some Linotype and start
Old April 7, 2013, 02:05 PM   #7
Boomer58cal

I got lucky and my friend gave me a 60 lbs chunk of lead that looked like a meteor. I also found 250 lbs of plumbers lead in long strings at a yard sale($20 ) , but I'd like to get a stable source for casting materials. Between those and the 400ish lbs of bars I have it's not a bigy now, but lead and other materials are getting harder to find.
Old May 18, 2013, 11:35 PM   #8
TXGunNut

They may be getting even harder to find. Had a PET scan recently and the local facility uses tungsten cylinders to transport isotopes.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 19, 2013, 09:23 PM   #9
GP100man

Iso lead

Here`s as good a link to isotope containers as you`ll find .

http://www.fellingfamily.net/isolead/index.html

Unfortunatly all my sources are "sending em back" & availability is scarce for em in my neck of the woods.

I`m thinkin Boolit Trap !!!
Old May 20, 2013, 11:09 AM   #10
FrankenMauser

If I find a source, I'll share it, but I don't know of anything at the moment. Both of my previous sources are no longer selling containers (because they can't get them).

I've been trying to find a clinic, hospital, or scrap yard from which to buy directly, but all of them claim they're now legally required to send them only to an authorized handler (foundry, etc). I have not, however, been able to find any applicable law or regulation stating the same.
Old May 20, 2013, 07:50 PM   #11
GP100man

Truth be told the suppliers are probably back charging the companys that do the handling of the isotopes for missing cores now ??!!
Old May 21, 2013, 04:18 AM   #12
Mike / Tx

My understanding on the large cores anyway, is they are only produced from one plant in Canada. It was supposed to go down for an overhaul sometime either late last year or early this year, can't remember exactly.

Either way once they shut down there would be no new cores available until they came back up IF they come back up. If memory serves the factory was pretty darned old, so who knows.

I know I am sure working hard to recover and reuse what I have. Come to think of it I have tired to do that with most of my other lead as well. Could it be I just like pouring them up more than I like shooting them? Naaa, I just haven't been finding the hogs lately like I used to, that's all.