The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 30, 2013, 04:45 PM   #26
Constantine

Poor Bubba'd 1911 Colt Series 70

Removing this is mission 9. Taking the gun apart like a 1911 is impossible. Bent the damn recoil spring doing so. So put the collet bushing back.

Also, the cut for the beaver tail on the frame was done with a jig and it was (from what I see) done well.

The internal fitting was an utter failure.

Old April 30, 2013, 06:59 PM   #27
RickB

OK, the follow-up pics of the beavertail cuts look better, but still, there's blending and polishing on the frame, but none on the beavertail itself (assuming the Ed Brown beavertail in the pics is what you wanted installed)? I'd think that bushing would have come with its own wrench, since a standard bushing wrench won't fit. I've seen some nice installations of that bushing, but it requires doing some real detail work to get the contours of the bushing and slide to perfectly match.
Old May 1, 2013, 09:54 AM   #28
Constantine

Quote:
OK, the follow-up pics of the beavertail cuts look better, but still, there's blending and polishing on the frame, but none on the beavertail itself (assuming the Ed Brown beavertail in the pics is what you wanted installed)?

Yeah...I don't know what the heck went on with that. The frame looks like it was done well. But the actual beaver tail like you mentioned..Not so much.

Quote:
I'd think that bushing would have come with its own wrench, since a standard bushing wrench won't fit. I've seen some nice installations of that bushing, but it requires doing some real detail work to get the contours of the bushing and slide to perfectly match.
It's perfectly matched to the slide. But it's a pain to remove. Even worse, it doesn't let the (brain fart on the name, at work now.) the part that holds the spring in..On the front..What it holds down darnit. It doesn't let that come out from where it's supposed to. Even when it's moved all the way to the side like it should be for a take down. Which really grinds my gears.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old May 1, 2013, 12:35 PM   #29
NJgunowner

honestly I'd contact Colts custom shop and see what they can do for you. They've been known to cut guys a break on occasion. It's good PR. Then again sometimes they don't. There's a Colt rep that hangs out over on the 1911forums, maybe shoot him an email and see what he thinks?
Old May 1, 2013, 01:19 PM   #30
Constantine

Just called Colt's custom shop.

They aren't doing any work on guns till the end of summer. So to send it now and have it just sit there, he said would be a waste.

I asked if they work on Bubba'd guns. They said yes, but they don't touch aftermarket parts. Which is what it already has on it.

I just want them to install the proper beaver tail (they have the Ed Brown with the memory groove and all available) and refinish the gun for me. So I don't think it would be a problem. But they want me to call back at the end of summer. Yay..... -.-
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old May 1, 2013, 01:27 PM   #31
TunnelRat

Quote:
They aren't doing any work on guns till the end of summer.
I'm gonna try that at my work. I could use the spring off.
Old May 1, 2013, 02:10 PM   #32
Constantine

Seriously...I was seeing the end game. I didn't even ask "why?".
Old May 1, 2013, 02:29 PM   #33
TunnelRat

I know S&W shuts down for a few weeks in the fall but it's not that long.
Old May 1, 2013, 02:41 PM   #34
JimDandy

Maybe he just meant NEW old returned whatever guns... maybe they have a big special order for the PD's & retiring officers etc.
Old May 1, 2013, 03:11 PM   #35
Constantine

Hmmmm...No, he said they aren't taking anything for customization till the end of summer. Blah...

Guess I'm stuck with Bubba, unless I find another local person..

ha...ha.....
Old May 1, 2013, 03:13 PM   #36
TunnelRat

I have to believe that there is someone worth a darn that you can send that off to or drop it off to. Maybe ask folks if they know of a good smith in the FL area?
Old May 1, 2013, 03:13 PM   #37
JimDandy

Right, as if they already have a big custom order maybe. I dunno, I'm trying to make you feel better here, and not so picked on that they won't take your mangled 1911.
Old May 1, 2013, 03:15 PM   #38
Constantine

I don't know...I called another local gun shop that has worked on my gun a long time ago. They didn't too bad at all. This one is just a few miles from home.

haha! thanks Jim I appreciate that. Really..I hope they do take my mangled 1911. I just think they should have been the ones to make me feel better. -_-
Old May 1, 2013, 04:45 PM   #39
sidewindr

That bushing is an EGW "melt" bushing, they are bigger than standard bushings to give a different look to the end of the slide. They look good on some 1911's but not many. It sounds like the od needs to be turned down a thou to allow it to be turned completely and removed like normal, otherwise is should work fine, unless somethings amiss internally that I can't see.
The BT just needs the little ear welded back up. He over ground it so it doesn't hit the trigger bow to stop it from releasing the sear unless it is depressed. It isn't hard to fix, just need someone to tig weld a bit to lengthen the ear and then re-fit it to correct length. I'd get a new TS also to fix the grind marks on the old one. Take out the working one and stand them up together, you'll see where the material needs to be put. Pretty simple job really.

Last edited by sidewindr; May 1, 2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old May 1, 2013, 05:04 PM   #40
Constantine

I believe everything you just said. The scariest thing, is even something that someone is so knowledgable about..can be ruined by someone pretending to be. Trying to find someone who can really finish this gun for me is a real pain.
Old May 1, 2013, 07:45 PM   #41
Constantine

Can't seem to catch a break -.- I'm seeing red right now I'm so upset.

Who the blue hell tightens grips so hard they do this?!?!?!

Old May 2, 2013, 09:13 AM   #42
745SW

“I'm seeing red right now I'm so upset.”

I assume the threads on the bushing/frame are stripped.
Old May 2, 2013, 09:18 AM   #43
Constantine

Yeah...they seem so. -__- I don't understand why butchers feel the need to call themselves "gunsmiths". I think because butchers jobs are being taken over by machines. Personal vendetta maybe?

-____- this is really aggravating. I blame myself.

Calling up shops and what not as I type this.
Old May 2, 2013, 11:28 AM   #44
RickB

Brownells sells oversized bushings and the appropriate tap, if the threads are stripped. If not, then degrease the threads, apply some loctite and reinstall the grips. Put a small drop of penetrating oil on the grip screws themselves, and when the loctite sets you should be able to turn out the screws.
I've sometimes been able to grab the bushings with padded pliers and get the screws out, but you're likely to bugger the bushing threads that way.
Old May 2, 2013, 11:57 AM   #45
Constantine

I keep getting more and more disappointed.

Did the pliers with the padding and screwdriver thing. Impossible. This POS "gunsmith" even ruined my grips.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:12 PM   #46
745SW

My satisfaction overall from gunsmith work has only been fair overall. King’s Gunworks in Glendale, CA (long gone) did an excellent job of reducing the trigger reach (shorting the stock) of my Winchester o/u shotgun and installing the Pachmayr recoil pad. Pachmayr like King’s did custom work and they are gone as well. King’s work on my Colt Gold Cup series 70 is IMO only fair. The actual work is good but they will only do work that fits their pattern like a semi production process. I would assume this unless I know better of any smith.

Gunsmith work I’ve had done was about two decades ago and since then most shops, stores and ranges in my area have vanished. I would imagine getting good/acceptable work done today will be much more difficult. From what I’ve gathered here under TFL and elsewhere the gunsmithing occupation is dismal. The only probable way of making a living for most would be to do machining for other entities with gunsmithing as a sideline.

First pic is a side view of my Colt GC. King’s squared & checkered the trigger guard, additional checkering on the front & back straps of the grip and hard chromed the receiver. There’s a tinny area at the very tip sharp corner of the frame near the grip safety that has no chrome. Fairly minor but I notice because I had the work done. King’s drop in parts that I installed are the short aluminum trigger, enlarge mag (magazine) release and stainless grip safety. Stainless grip screws are King’s, I think, and polished with a Dremel. King’s parts entity was probably closed, not sold to any entity. IMO they were excellent parts.

Second pic is of the front grip strap area, top view, of the frame. Uneven vertical grooves are original on the Colt GC. I specifically said to make these vertical grooves symmetrical but they never did and just added their touch of horizontal grooves. This is what I mean by “semi production”, they only do things their way. I would have made the vertical grooves symmetrical myself had I known they wouldn’t do it.

Third pic is of the mag well with mag installed. The well was beveled using various files and a Dremel. I think many here on TFL are Dremel fans. Mag is, I think, a LAKA stainless with a long anti-tilt follower. Most likely not made anymore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SideViewClose.jpg (52.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg FrontGripFrame.jpg (221.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg MagWellView.jpg (174.3 KB, 50 views)
Old May 3, 2013, 08:25 AM   #47
Constantine

^^^ Must be nice to find a real gunsmith locally. If only I could.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:45 AM   #48
RickB

If there is any amount of USPSA competition in the area, there will be a 1911 'smith serving them. I just googled "1911 gunsmith in miami area", and this came up: http://www.absolutetacticalsolutions...-Services.html
No experience with them, but it might be a place to start.
Old May 3, 2013, 11:01 AM   #49
Constantine

Thank you Rick, I just got off the phone with Robert now. I'm going to text him pictures per his request for an estimate. To fix the beaver tail and refinish the gun. We'll see how this goes!
Old May 3, 2013, 01:08 PM   #50
Constantine

We just spoke about everything we needed to discuss on the Colt. He's willing to take the job. In fixing the beaver tail, grip screws, and cerakote 2 tone for a very fair price. Which is a ball park estimate, so I won't say just yet. I will most likely be taking the Colt to him Monday after work. Best part..Because he's in Texas right now.

Thanks again Rick!!!