The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 3, 2012, 09:31 AM   #1
GFGear

PX4 Storm 9mm VS HK P2000 9mm

As the forum title says above. What's your guys's thoughts between the two firearms and opinions? I'm looking to buy one of the above and I know that the PX4 Storm is a good $200-$300 cheaper then the P2000 but then again HK has never done me wrong... I love my USP45.
Old September 3, 2012, 09:41 AM   #2
TunnelRat

Well they're rather different to be honest.

I owned a PX4 Storm for a while and it was a solid pistol. What I didn't like was the slide mounted safety/decocker. First off I don't want the safety. There are replacement levers you can use to make it a decocker only but they're always sold out. I also found the levers to protrude quite a bit which could be uncomfortable depending on how you carry. The gun shot well regardless. I really didn't find it to have noticeably less recoil as the marketing would have you believe, but I never had an issue of any kind with it. I got the Inox version and wasn't impressed with the finish.

I own two HK P2000s in 9mm, both DA/SA and I have owned one in 40SW and one in LEM. I bought my first one used, loved it so much I bought a second for carry as I shoot the heck out of the first one. It's going to have a shorter barrel and less magazine capacity. That said with the flat baseplates it's the size of a Glock 19 and with the tapered slide and low profile controls it carries beautifully. I've found the accuracy out of it to be surprisingly good, for me better than the PX4 but that might not be true for you. It's been around for a bit so there is a lot of support out there, both online and parts wise (hkparts.net). Like the PX4 I have never had a malfunction of any kind. You also get a lifetime warranty from HK.

Again they're different pistols. If you're talking the fullsize PX4 I'd say that's more of a service/range pistol. The P2000 is much better for carry, IMO, but is impressive on the range too. Your call.
Old September 3, 2012, 10:05 AM   #3
hellomcfly

Opted for the 2022

I rented the full size PX4 and the Sig 2022 at the range last week and walked away with the Sig. That being said, it wasn't an easy decision.

I was happy with the trigger and accuracy of both guns. I felt like the double action took a little longer for me to learn on the SIG, but the SIG had a slightly nicer single action pull. I do feel like the rotating barrel lockup on the Beretta actually reduced recoil a bit. It was the softest shooting 9 I've ever shot. I love the controls of the sig, the decocker is in a natural spot for me. I hated the controls on the PX4. I don't care for the location (on the slide) or that they stick up in your sight picture while aiming. I also thought the safety was unnecessary given the double action pull weight and found it hard to manipulate. Between the controls and the price tag I opted for the Sig.

My friend has a P2000 and its a well made and well shooting gun but his is DAO and I don't care for the trigger. I also can't justify the price of the gun. I don't think you'd go wrong with either, but if you don't mind the slide mounted safety/decocker, you'd save yourself some $$$ with the Storm. The compact is what I would go with.
Old September 3, 2012, 12:37 PM   #4
tulsamal

I have to say up front.... I've grown to really like the LEM. If you try that out and grow to like it, the HK is the easy choice. They are great guns in other ways as well but I really do like my carry gun to be an HK LEM. So I've been carrying an HK P2000 LEM in .357 SIG. And shooting an HK45 LEM in IDPA.

Gregg
Old September 4, 2012, 02:37 PM   #5
ScotchMan

I agree with Tunnelrat's comments.

I too owned a PX4 Storm, owned a USPc and currently own a P2000sk. The P2000 will be very similar to your USP, but the ergonomics are improved. The size and capacity differences aside, I like the P2000 better. I had the same complaints about the safety on the PX4, but otherwise didn't have any major issues with it. But the HK is in another class.

I also echo tulsamal's comments about LEM. I think it is the best trigger system out there, and if you agree the P2000 is a no-brainer.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old September 4, 2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Coltman 77

You might also look at an HK P30. With its configurable backstraps and side panels it can be made to fit almost any hand very nicely.

During a recent (2009-2010) endurance test, a P30 test pistol fired more than 91,000 rounds without any major component failures.

A very fine handgun by any measure. Good luck.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old September 4, 2012, 03:59 PM   #7
LockedBreech

My PX4 is a wonderful pistol and well-built. It has 4,000 rounds without a hiccup and I trust it completely.

That said, the HK is an HK, and is in a different class of autopistols.

Not a burn on the Beretta I love, but I'd put my money on the HK to run harder, better, and longer. As it should, for almost twice the price.
Beretta PX4; 92FS; 92S; 8040G | RIA GI 1911 | Sig Sauer SP2022; P6 | Colt Python 4"; 1968 Detective Special 2"| Smith & Wesson M642 No-Lock | Ruger LCP | Daniel Defense M4V1 | Alpine M1 Carbine | Steyr M1895 | Ruger 10/22 |1943 Mosin M91/30 | Remington 870
Old September 4, 2012, 04:34 PM   #8
ShipWreck

I have previously owned both a 9mm and 40 cal PX4. Also, I have prev owned many different HK models. Out of all the seven HKs I've prev owned, the P2000 was hands down my favorite model. I sometimes wish I still had it.

They bother are great guns. PX4 is cheaper and bigger. The P2000 has only 13 round mags.

If money is an issue - the PX4 is a great gun. Neither is really "better." - see if there is one of the two that you prefer. I've owned both, and only sold either to help pay for some other gun I really wanted.

Old September 4, 2012, 08:44 PM   #9
sgms

Haven't shot a PX4 but do own a P2000 and love it. If one fits you it is a darned good pistol.
Old September 4, 2012, 09:28 PM   #10
barnbwt

The Beretta is possibly the most easily cleaned pistol, ever. I can't speak for the HK, but I simply can't imagine anything being easier (pull tab, slide off, pull out barrel, done!)

FWIW, the .40 PX4 I've shot was very controllable, accurate, and most importantly, comfortable. Far more comfortable than any similar poly-gun I've held (which doesn't include a P2000).

TCB
Old September 4, 2012, 10:03 PM   #11
armoredman

I have the opposite experience with the PX-4 Storm 40SW I have - reliable and controllable, but mot very accurate with factory ammo, probably due to the .402 sized factory barrel. I run cast bullets through it sized to .404 and get groups like this,

Factory ammo sized at .400 doesn't work quite as well...

Couple in Beretta's horrible customer service, and I'd say go with the HK.
Old September 7, 2012, 12:15 AM   #12
Gats Italian

I'd take a 9mm Beretta PX4 Constant over any H&K handgun on the market. In fact, I did choose one over an HK P30L.
Old September 7, 2012, 06:57 PM   #13
BigMike

To the OP:

I've no experience shooting the HK but i did dry fire a LEM version once. It was a smooth consistent trigger. The PX4(.40) I shot was very soft and smooth. The rotating barrel works well soaking up the recoil.

Gats:

How does the PX4-C compare to other DAO autos you've shot? I've been thinking of this model to replace my current S&W 4043 for carry.

BM
TFL Alumni #2636
Old September 8, 2012, 10:45 AM   #14
Gats Italian

It's really nice. I don't have a trigger pull scale but it feels like about six pounds compared to a D model's 10 or so. The hammer is partially precocked, so the Constant is not a true DAO as it has no second strike capability.
Old September 9, 2012, 11:46 AM   #15
GFGear

I really appreciate all of your thoughts and opinions on this. I think as far as a range pistol goes I will probably go with the PX4 but I've been wanting one for conceal carry so I'll probably save up at some point and bite the bullet on the P2000. Plus HK guns are great, I love my USP45
Old September 9, 2012, 01:16 PM   #16
Crankgrinder

I do not own an HK due mostly to price/availability of other options. I do own a px4 in 9mm. The only knock on the px4 is that slide safety. It has a long da trigger on the first shot so if you dont like it you can leave it off. Im accustomed to safetys have been all my life I can reach it just fine. Ive never experienced, and only heard of very few reliability complaints the gun is solid. Ive also heard of police depts having frames cracking on HKs too but havent seen that. That said I do believe and HK will hold its value better for the secondary market should you get in a bind or decide on something you want to trade for. The px4s a great gun but its almost like a used one doesnt have the value left.
Old September 9, 2012, 01:45 PM   #17
Don P

Go with the HK. I had 2 PX4's 9mm and 40S&W both are gone now. 9mm with only 4-500 rounds through it developed the issue of not decocking from the right side of the slide with a loaded magazine in it. Drop the mag and the decocker worked as it should, put the mag in and no decock from the right side. Also with the mag in you could grip the rear of the frame wrap your fingers around the slide and pull down 1/8 of an inch. The 40 had a really bad trigger sting. Tried grease on the barrel and the sting would reappear after 2-3 magazines of shooting.
Old August 8, 2013, 02:44 PM   #18
dorjbrun

Hk 9mm vp 70z

I have two HK 9MM VP 70Z, New In The Factory Boxes.

Original boxes, with original owners manuals, inspectors certificate of the test fireing at the factory with his certification, signature and the targets for both pistols.

These are consecutivve serial numbers.

Guns are in 100 % condition, never even handled except a few times to look at the serial numbers.

How much are they worth????

dorjbrun@gmail.com
Old August 8, 2013, 03:04 PM   #19
ShipWreck

Why are you putting this on a year old thread about 2 different guns?