The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 23, 2013, 05:34 PM   #1
simonrichter

Suppressed FiveSeven

There's a lot of footage of suppressed FiveSevens on youtube, and since that gun has fascinated me ever since (no chance to get one here in Europe), and the same is true for suppressed weapons as well, I took a closer look.

On the first thought, the 5,7 x 28 must be great for suppressed use, given the small bore diameter. Yet, likewise this ammo gains its energy mainly from the velocity of the bullet, so a subsonic round must have hardly more energy than a .22lr, and that seems a little disappointing for such expensive gun & ammo...

Did I overlook something or is it simply that way?
. Taurus PT22 PLY (.22lr)
Old April 23, 2013, 08:54 PM   #2
HKFan9

I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but even so, running none sub sonic ammo will still be effective on target as well as much quieter. Sure you will get the sonic crack, but will be plenty safe for shooting with no hearing protection.

You might get someone with more knowledge than me however in the NFA items section.
Old April 24, 2013, 10:28 AM   #3
ScotchMan

The issue with shooting 5.7x28mm ammo suppressed is in finding 5.7x28mm ammo.
4. Equipment
Old April 25, 2013, 05:29 PM   #4
Venom1956

seems running subsonic 5.7 ammo would kinda defeat the purpose of the round... small light and fast.

You'd make it what have the punch of a Standard Velocity .22LR round to keep it subsonic? Maybe a bit more mass?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old April 27, 2013, 10:00 AM   #5
Theohazard

I highly doubt subsonic ammo would cycle the action in a Five seveN pistol. If you kept the bullet weight the same and just lowered the pressure, it definitely wouldn't cycle. And even if you increased the bullet weight drastically to make up for the lower velocity, the locking system on the pistol is specifically designed for fast, high-pressure rounds, so I doubt that would work either. Not to mention a significanlty heavier bullet wouldn't be stabilized by the rifling and would start to tumble pretty quickly, maybe even while still inside the suppressor.

So you'd most likely have to stick with regular supersonic rounds. And while a suppressor certainly takes the Five seveN's volume down quite a bit, it's still pretty loud due to the supersonic crack of the bullet.
Old April 27, 2013, 10:02 AM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Suppressed doesn't mean subsonic. Subsonic is "more" suppressed but there's no reason you can't shoot full-power ammo in a suppressed gun and its still a lot quieter than no suppressor.
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old April 27, 2013, 10:32 AM   #7
tmorone

^ What Brian said.

Silencer+ SUBsonic ammo= really, really quiet. No crack, no boom.
Silencer+ SUPERsonic ammo= pretty quiet, sonic crack but no boom.
No silencer + any ammo= loud.

I shoot supersonic .223/5.56 and .308/7.62 all the time suppressed and it's still night and day different than a non-suppressed AR or anything else.

Personally, I think the FiveSeven would be a pretty neat suppressor host. Plus, if you get something like an SWR Spectre II you have a .22lr can that's rated for FN 5.7
Old April 27, 2013, 11:47 AM   #8
Venom1956

We'll he mentioned subsonic is all. Idk if i ran suppressed stuff I think i'd prefer no sonic boom. But thats JMO.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old April 28, 2013, 05:09 AM   #9
simonrichter

I'm well aware that actually there IS a subsonic version of the 5,7. It's just that, given the bullet weight, such a load can't yield more than 100 - 120 ft/lbs, due to physics.
That is hardly more than a .22lr, a somewhat poor performance for such expensive gun and ammo.
Comparably, 9mm subsonic will perform somewhere around 300 and 350 ft/Ibs, not to speak of .45 acp which is subsonic by its nature in most cases (however the latter is harder to suppress due to its higher bore diameter)
Old April 28, 2013, 09:59 PM   #10
HKGuns

Suppressed FiveSeven

They aren't shot subsonic.
Old April 28, 2013, 10:07 PM   #11
Theohazard

Quote:
simonrichter posted
I'm well aware that actually there IS a subsonic version of the 5,7. It's just that, given the bullet weight, such a load can't yield more than 100 - 120 ft/lbs, due to physics.
That is hardly more than a .22lr, a somewhat poor performance for such expensive gun and ammo.
I find it hard to imagine how a load like that could cycle the action of a Five seveN pistol.
Old April 29, 2013, 04:12 PM   #12
simonrichter

Quote:
I find it hard to imagine how a load like that could cycle the action of a Five seveN pistol
Didn't consider that, good point. Since the FiveSeven has kind of an unlocked delayed blowback system, maybe the system can cope with the lighter impulse of SS rounds...? Just a guess.
Old April 30, 2013, 02:11 AM   #13
Theohazard

Quote:
Quote:
I find it hard to imagine how a load like that could cycle the action of a Five seveN pistol
Didn't consider that, good point. Since the FiveSeven has kind of an unlocked delayed blowback system, maybe the system can cope with the lighter impulse of SS rounds...? Just a guess.
But from what I understand of the Five seveN's delayed blowback system, it uses the high-pressure impulse of the bullet going down the barrel to hold the breech shut until the bullet leaves the barrel.

The gun is specifically designed to work with high pressure loads, so I'd be very surprised if subsonic ammo worked in it. But if anyone has any experience with subsonic ammo in a Five seveN I'd be very interested to hear more about it.

Tags
5.7x28 , muzzle energy , suppressor