The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 20, 2010, 09:19 PM   #1
NJMnP

M&P .40s&w to 9mm conversion?

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I going to be purchasing the Smith & Wesson M&P. Im not sure if I want to purchase in a 9mm or .40s&w. I will be using it for mostly range shooting, but will also be for HD. I don't mind firing a 40 but I like the low recoil of the 9mm. I found endless wars between calibers to use. Simply put, I like the 9mm for target practice but would prefer the 40 for HD. I found a conversion kit from Storm Lake to convert the M&P40 to a 9mm. Now my question is; is this conversion kit worth while? Does anyone have any experience with the Storm Lake .40 to 9mm conversion kit.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by NJMnP; December 22, 2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old December 21, 2010, 11:37 PM   #2
Justice06RR

Honestly the difference btw 9mm vs .40 is negligible IMHO. Modern SD/HD loads today in 9mm are virtually on par with 40cal ammunition. If you really wanted something "better" than the 9mm then go with .45cal instead.

Plus 9mm is cheaper to buy for range use. For example, I own a Smith and Wesson M&P9 and my friend who goes to the range with me has the M&P40. The price difference on a box of 50rd Federal target ammo from Walmart is $5 ($10 vs $15). In the long run you'll save more with the 9mm.

I don't really recommend the barrel conversion from 40 to 9mm. My friend wanted to do this but he hasn't yet, and I don't think he will. Its your decision whether you go with the 9mm vs .40cal. When I started shooting, the very first gun I shot was a friend's Glock 23 (40cal); I did just fine but when it was time to buy my own gun I went with the 9mm. Hope that helps.
Old December 22, 2010, 07:10 AM   #3
GaryM&P

I've never owned a Storm Lake. Personally I prefer KKM if I were going the conversion route.
http://www.kkmprecision.com/custom_p...&cat=38&page=1

What I did was buy two M&P's, identical except for caliber. A 9mm for the range and a 40cal for HD.

ETA: The recoil on the 40cal M&P is a lot lower than any other 40 I've owned. You might want to wait and see for yourself before you buy the conversion kit.
Old May 22, 2013, 06:19 AM   #4
Jeff22

Storm Lake conversion barrel for the S&W M&P

KKM does not make a conversion barrel for the Smith & Wesson M&P.

On new years eve day I bought two S&W M&Ps -- one in .40 cal and another in .22.

I received a 9mm Storm Lake conversion barrel from Midway USA in February.

It wasn't until mid-April that I was able to find any 9mm magazines.

Since that time I've fired 250 rounds of 9mm commercial reloads through my M&P pistol with the 9mm conversion barrel. I have experienced no malfunctions. It was quite pleasant to shoot, and accurate as well.

Some users have reported that you can use .40 cal magazines with the 9mm conversion barrel and the gun will function. I was about to try that when I found the 9mm magazines.

(Last year I bought a Glock 35 and then then later on a 9mm conversion barrel from Lone Wolf. That has worked out very well also)
Old May 23, 2013, 12:05 AM   #5

Just make sure you buy the Specific "Conversion barrel" and you will be fine. Don't just slide a standard 9mm barrel in their. Its a little risky.