The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 14, 2013, 09:37 PM   #51
j3hill

I have an unfired Python with box and papers I will let you make me an offer on.

Or if it's not in your budget I have a 19-1 that is a little cheaper. ( the top one in the rosewood ass)

Last edited by j3hill; May 14, 2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old May 14, 2013, 10:54 PM   #52
Cosmodragoon

I don't care if it's blue but I feel BoogieMan on the 4"-6" for .357 magnum. I know .357 is popular in snubs and all sorts of lightweight concealment models but it just doesn't feel right to me. When you've got big power in a small package, including small grips and low weight, what purpose will it really serve?

We've all seen a few sharpshooters who can hit a mouse's eye with hot loads from a Derringer. (Forget checking the skid-mark of a target.) We've all seen guys who like the feel of .357 magnum force blasting off from a tiny piece of aluminum cradled in their beefy mitt. Chances are, you're not that guy. I know I'm not.

So the place where this might really matter is the tightest of emergencies. It is when you might be pinned up against a wall, on the ground, or you've got a charging beast--human or otherwise--just inches from impact. It is the situation when you needed concealment and you just manage to get the gun out. Here, if you've got a revolver with a smooth profile or shrouded hammer, it could very well save your life. These are situations when you've got point-blank discharge and most of the normal shooting considerations, from accuracy to follow-up, are not necessarily crucial. Here, an anti-personnel mine on a slightly concave steel plate would do the trick.

The question is, how many defensive situations are definitely that? What about the 3-30ft range? Do you really want the minimalist hand-cannon there or would you prefer a much more manageably shootable caliber? Restricted to ultra-concealment at those ranges, I would greatly prefer a .38, .380, or .32 magnum. As per the trade-off in one of those super-tight emergencies, I'm not going to worry about a little less power and I might wonder if the extra was really necessary. (Besides, how many guys with those tiny .357 revolvers are just packing them with .38+ in the first place?)

So when I want to carry .357 or up, I'm going to do it on a decently shootable frame with at least 4" of power-preserving barrel in situations with less need for concealment.

(I've been toying with the medium-carry option of our magnum middle-child, the .327 Federal. We'll see where that project ends up...)
Old May 16, 2013, 08:47 AM   #53
BoogieMan

@J3Hill- Thanks for the offer. Love the Colt, but with the number of guns I have purchased in the last couple of months its just not in the budget. I am in the under $800 range unless its something really special I would go up to the $1000 or so mark. What I have my eye on in recent days is the TALO edition S&W's with unfluted cylinder. I will likely plate it in black chrome and leave the cylinder SS or something along those lines. Other than that for a plane S&W or Ruger I would probably be looking to spend under $500. Also depends on what I have to spend to put it in my hand. Guns at the LGS I am willing to go slightly higher as there are no s&h or transfer fees. Looks like I will be staying in at least a 4" model maybe going as high as a 7or 8.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:48 PM   #54
CSG

If you want a used gun with a beefy frame that will fall within your budget, consider investigating the famous S&W Model 28 "Highway Patrolman". N frame, most commonly found with a 4" barrel. The bluing varies. I've got two and one is almost a polished look and the other is pretty much a matte black. Both are the 28-2 models. They have adjustable sights and are very accurate. These are the workingman's Model 27.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_28

You can thank me after you get one.
Old May 31, 2013, 07:00 AM   #55
BoogieMan

Well I finally bought one. I wanted something that was a little less mainstream and yesterday my LGS (fellow machinist) stopped in to my shop with a 5" S&W Talo edition 686-6. SS unfluted, 7 shot. I just have to wait my 20 or so days for the INSTANT background check and I will be able to take it out for a spin. I have been shopping all the LGS's and also gunbroker. Everyone I bid on ended up going high 9's or more. Ended up with this for $7. IMO I made a fair purchase

Stock photo from Talo
Old May 31, 2013, 10:12 AM   #56
2rott

Nice revolver BoogieMan. I always wanted a 5". The price sounds good for a shot 5" & 7 round. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Is it a round butt?
Old May 31, 2013, 10:36 AM   #57
BoogieMan

@2Rott- Im new to the revolver world. I only own one other revolver (460xvr) and a bunch of SA's. Judging by the grip (I dont know if there is another way to tell) it is a round but. Feels good in the hand and nice balance. I just dont know about these little plinker magnums.
Old May 31, 2013, 01:07 PM   #58
2rott

BoggieMan....It doesn't really matter much but I like the round butt. I own a 4" 686 sq. butt & in the past year it has become my most fired & favorite handgun. I shoot it in several different types of matches.
From the research I've done I found out TALO does sell some of the round butt 686's but not sure of yours. It doesn't matter unless you want to put on after market grips. It's probably easy enough to find out with a phone call or try someone's square butt grips. Enjoy what I think is one of the best & most versatile revolvers out there.
PS...I'm keeping my eye out there for one.
Old May 31, 2013, 01:47 PM   #59
AID_Admin

There is a bunch of grips out there that called "conversion" that will give a "square grips look and feel" to a round butt. But your originals look great. Heck the entire gun looks great! :-)))
Old May 31, 2013, 01:52 PM   #60
BoogieMan

Is it a round but? Do you distinguish by the radius on the back of the grip or would I need to pull the grip and look for a similar radius on the frame?
Old May 31, 2013, 02:10 PM   #61
AID_Admin

It looks like a round butt, but once you remove grips, you'll see immidiately, here, this is from S&W site:

Old May 31, 2013, 09:09 PM   #62
Broly

It's a round butt. Here's mine next to my Model 19. They're very nice guns.

Old May 31, 2013, 09:11 PM   #63
BoogieMan

Thanks for the clarification on buts. I figured it had to be more than the grip, otherwise why would there be any question?
Old June 1, 2013, 12:13 AM   #64
Cosmodragoon

Nice choice, Boogieman. I've always liked the 686 series. The 7-shot variant was a brilliant idea and the 5" barrel makes it perfect. I ordered the similar 686 Plus Pro a few months ago and now I'm just waiting...
Old June 1, 2013, 05:15 PM   #65
Broly

I actually like the round butt grip frame better because it gives you more choices of grips. You can get either a round butt grip or a round butt to square butt conversion grip. I liked the looks of the original 3 5 7 wood grips that came with it but they didn't feel good in MY hands. After trying a set of Uncle Mikes (the grips in my previous post), I ended up with the Hogue conversion grips below. They even have the S&W logo on them.

Good luck with your new Talo and post some pics of it when you get it!

Old June 4, 2013, 12:07 PM   #66
FM12

Smith & Wesson m 586 blued 6" bbl. Everything u need and nothing u dont.
Old June 4, 2013, 08:22 PM   #67
tomrkba

Quote:
Smith & Wesson m 586 blued 6" bbl. Everything u need and nothing u dont.
Except a five inch or shorter barrel so one can carry it!
Old June 7, 2013, 06:45 PM   #68
fshfindr

Bogieman, I went thru Bob's for the instant check. It took exactly 2 weeks. Jeanine at Bobs made it a pleasure. Glad you got a good gun. I was looking for a 686 when I found my Trooper.
Old June 8, 2013, 01:11 AM   #69
TRex99

Smith 586
Old June 8, 2013, 01:15 AM   #70
AID_Admin

It is my understanding that a current battle for the best 357 is over, as OP already made a purchase Now this tread is only missing one thing: a bunch of pictures of the gun selected!