The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 26, 2013, 09:54 AM   #1
sirdiealot

lee safety prime problem

ive got a lee safety prime that im having a problem with. my 45acp shell holder wont fit in it. no idea what the hell is going on. its a lee 45acp die set. its the only thing I reload at the time. with my large pistol primer shells I use my loader to prime them but I don't have the set up to switch it to small pistol primer and dumb me bought 200rds of blazer ammo not thinking that it was small pistol primer brass and hate to not be able to use the brass. waste not want not as dad always said.

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.
Old April 26, 2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Sport45

You mean Auto Prime, right? They don't use standard shell holders. At least mine doesn't. I'm not sure about the new version.

The Safety Prime doesn't use a shell holder. It just delivers a primer to the priming arm.
Old April 26, 2013, 05:29 PM   #3
lee n. field

You are using the priming tool shellholders, right? The shellholder that Lee packs with their die sets is for using on the press.

(The best way to get them is to buy the set of 11 common ones. Good luck -- they're out of stock every place I checked when someone was looking for it a few weeks ago.)
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 26, 2013, 07:40 PM   #4
sirdiealot

holy crap I feel stupid....I read the manual that came with the primer press(aka a sheet of paper with pics) seemed pretty self explanatory other then the fact I was using the shell holder from the die set. god im sorry for the stupid question. thanks for the help lee enfield. guess I will start the hunt for the shell holder for my hand primer and while im at it will get the small primer set up for the progressive. gonna need both I guess since I wanted to load 223 on my single stage press but was waiting till after at least loading 1000 rds flawlessly of the 45acp cause there is more to loading rifle rds and want to be comfortable loading the easiest rounds first. thanks again love all the help you guys are giving me with reloading. have been shooting for 40 yrs but this is my first yr reloading.

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.
Old April 26, 2013, 09:01 PM   #5
Fire_Moose

Re: lee safety prime problem

What number do you need?

I have a #2 I got when I started .308

In the excitement to get started i didn't realize it was for the auto prime, needed the press version.

Its yours if its the right size.
Old April 27, 2013, 09:09 AM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
guess I will start the hunt for the shell holder for my hand primer
For what it's worth, when I looked a few weeks ago, single shell holders could be found at various online vendors like Midway. The set in its red box (which is the best way to get them) was out of stock everywhere. Or you can probably find an overpriced set on ebay.

Quote:
gonna need both I guess since I wanted to load 223 on my single stage press but was waiting till after at least loading 1000 rds flawlessly of the 45acp cause there is more to loading rifle rds and want to be comfortable loading the easiest rounds first.
Good plan. .45 ACP is a forgiving round to reload, but there are subtleties. Cranking out hundreds of rounds on a progressive without having that debugged out is a good way to waste a bunch of time.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "