The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 23, 2013, 12:37 PM   #1
Kimio

West Virginia teen arrested for wearing NRA shirt to school

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/22...est=latestnews

Thus the brain washing continues, it's really sad that the modern school system appears to be trying it's absolute hardest to demonize firearms owners or supporters of the 2A.

I mean, in some ways I can understand the paranoia, but crap like this doesn't solve anything. Violation of rights seems to be becoming the norm these days, the 1A being the victim in this case. (Just an observation)

What's shocking is that this happened in West Virginia, I thought West Virginia was relatively friendly to firearms enthusiasts, maybe this was one of those bad apples that land in the bunch every so often.

Ridiculous that this happened to begin with IMHO. Almost as bad as the suspension of elementary school kids for having food, toys or imaginative playtime that involves the infamous/taboo "G" word.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; April 23, 2013 at 08:55 PM. Reason: fixed typo in title
Old April 23, 2013, 12:58 PM   #2
lcpiper

We do still have a process for this. Let the DA figure out if this kid is actually going to be charged or not. Then we'll see if someone decides to suit the school which I would hope and expect since the parents were more then willing to have their names in the paper.

On the surface, this looks like Mom and Dad were angry about the first time they harassed him over the shirt, they must have told him to put it back on, go back to school, and they are going to back him all the way. I smell a fight coming and good on'em.
Old April 23, 2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Let the DA figure out if this kid is actually going to be charged or not.
That can be a subjective process, and the DA will be under no small amount of pressure from the community not to press charges. As it is, it's one heck of a stretch to justify the kid's arrest.

The real question is whether the school board will relent.
Old April 23, 2013, 02:04 PM   #4
Beepy

Quote:
Logan County Schools' dress code, which is posted on the school system's website, prohibits clothing and accessories that display profanity, violence, discriminatory messages or sexually suggestive phrases. Clothing displaying advertisements for any alcohol, tobacco, or drug product also is prohibited.
So someone please tell me how anybody makes the jump to an NRA t-shirt supporting the Second Amendment as a part of their written dress code? Also, I am not sure how refusal to compromise one's First Amendment right to free speech is cause for arrest "...on charges of disrupting an educational process and obstructing an officer...".[/QUOTE]

With the information presented in the story, regardless of whether the DA relents or not, it appears there may be justification for a lawsuit.

The final outcome will be interesting, indeed.

BP
Old April 23, 2013, 02:28 PM   #5
twp5253

This is one of the rare times in life when I find myself wondering if I should start practicing law. There is nothing like a $million dollar judgement/case that can change the behavior of a local government. But for now, I am sticking to IT, my other career and next week I will oversee the installation of my new gun safe(Amsec BF6030) that arrived yesterday.
Old April 23, 2013, 03:07 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Virginia is fairly friendly to firearms rights.

This happened in WEST Virginia, not Virginia.

I don't know how they are. I don't live there.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 23, 2013, 03:14 PM   #7

I live on the Ohio/West Virginia border, so this has gotten some coverage here on the "news".

The thing that I found most interesting is the part about his being "disruptive". From what they said on the local "news", this confrontation between him and the teacher occured in the chow line at lunch time.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old April 23, 2013, 03:24 PM   #8
lcpiper

Quote:
The thing that I found most interesting is the part about his being "disruptive". From what they said on the local "news", this confrontation between him and the teacher occured in the chow line at lunch time.
I see where your going I think. How disruptive to the learning process could it have been in the chow line?
Old April 23, 2013, 03:31 PM   #9
Kimio

Perplexing isn't it? I sure hope the parents take this to court, enough is enough IMO. It's bad enough that the mainstream media demonizes gun owners (well Fox being the once exception from what I can tell) but to do this kind of thing in our schools is ridiculous.

There used to be a time where bringing your hunting rifle to school wasn't a big deal, not anymore sadly.

There is a difference between erring on the side of caution and simply overreacting IMO. I get the feeling this may fall in line with the whole "Zero tolerance" rules that school staff love throwing out there. The thing is, nothing was violated in this case, so they really had no grounds to arrest/suspend this kid.

I applaud the kid for being brave enough to stand up for his rights and supporting the 2A openly and proudly, he could have easily just caved and done what he was told to do, but he didn't. What was the saying from that MSgt in the army? Doing the hard right instead of the easy wrong? I feel that this falls in line with that.
Old April 23, 2013, 03:51 PM   #10
lcpiper

Well, returning to the school on Monday after being arrested and suspended for the previous Friday is an obvious challenge and it looks like the school is going to back down. Perhaps the family will let them off the hook but it looks like they are setting the stage for a court battle.

And if the school is backing down I would put money that the DA must have told them they were wrong, they have no grounds to prosecute, and they would be wise to back off. Or maybe the Mayor called and explained it to them. Law suits can be expensive, the family did get a lawyer, Mr. White.

Checking out Mr. White's FB page. He's a local attorney who was or is running for the Logan Board of Education, the same school system. Either he has decided to take a more personal interest in the education system of logan WV. or he is after the folks who beat him and out to make a better case the next time around.

Either way, I almost like this one, even if he is a lawyer

Last edited by lcpiper; April 23, 2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old April 23, 2013, 03:59 PM   #11
22-rimfire

Just about everyone has guns in Logan County. I was really surprised that this happened at all. I think the school is in error. But they will just make a policy change after this.... no guns or distructive devices displayed on shirts.

As yes, the school system is brain washing the children at a young age to be anti-gun.
Old April 23, 2013, 09:49 PM   #12
Nickel Plated

Quote:
Marcum has said that he was arrested on charges of disrupting an educational process....
What the heck kinda charge is that? Did they just make that up?
Old April 23, 2013, 10:01 PM   #13
Mr. James

Given the state of public "education," I'd have to venture a "yes."

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old April 23, 2013, 10:02 PM   #14
NWPilgrim

West Virginia teen arrested for wearing NRA shirt to school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Plated View Post
What the heck kinda charge is that? Did they just make that up?
Exactly. Is that an actual criminal offense or just a school regulation. The arrest sounds way out of bounds. I foresee a very well-to-do young man graduating who will have a very nice nest egg with which to bark into life, and a new school superintendent.
Old April 23, 2013, 10:57 PM   #15
dakota.potts

So because this student is supposedly interrupting the the education of other systems, they're going to further disrupt it by arresting the kid in front of his peers?
Old April 24, 2013, 12:58 AM   #16
BlueEyeVisage

That's nothing, how about this. :P

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...224740937.html

Play time hero, or menace to society?

If I was the OT's kid, I'd be more upset about being interrupted in the lunch line. It's bad enough figuring out what cafeteria food won't kill you to also have to deal with someone taking offense when none is meant and distracting me from that.
Old April 24, 2013, 01:12 AM   #17
zxcvbob

So let's say they are smart and drop the charges. Does the kid still need to get the arrest record expunged so it doesn't haunt him later in life if he needs a security clearance or something? (whatever happened to the presumption of innocence?) Or since he's a minor does all that not matter?
Old April 24, 2013, 01:42 AM   #18
scrubcedar

He was definitely obstructing a standard "education process" in our school systems. Namely, the indoctrination of our children to the political views of most of the people in charge of, and teaching in, our public school system.

How are they supposed to properly suppress the support for most of the Bill of Rights, and the second amendment in particular with this sort of disruptive influence around?

If they want him charged with "disrupting the education process." haven't they then admitted that deliberate erosion of our second amendment through indoctrination of our children is an essential part of their "education process"?

It's pretty clear that this particular t-shirt can't be said to damage anything but that specific thing in this instance. No cussing, no threats, endorsing nothing but the defense of second amendment rights. Exercising his first amendment right to say it. Only if you willfully and with forethought want to erode those rights is this t-shirt a problem to your education process.

If it were my kid I might even call a press conference saying that I would even be willing to drop a lawsuit if the School District would publicly acknowledge this fact. We all know the district wouldn't take the offer, but it would certainly put them in an interesting situation PR wise. "Money or truth I want one of the two, which one is up to you."
Old April 24, 2013, 07:27 AM   #19
Dashunde

I'm trying to figure out how all of these antis ended up in our schools in the first place...I mean, dont they also remember when pocket knives and gun racks were ok, during which time there were few school rampages or similar carnage?
Ah, maybe I'm just getting too old and todays teachers were in high school during Columbine...

I'm proud of this NRA kid and his parents.
We need a few million more of them, and a good percentage should become teachers.

The NRA should start a massive scholarship fund for those seeking K-12 teaching degrees.
Old April 24, 2013, 08:19 AM   #20
Strafer Gott

Sounds like a teacher with an agenda. I'd settle for their job. If not, let slip the dogs of law!
Old April 24, 2013, 08:36 AM   #21
tomrkba

Quote:
Virginia is extremely friendly to firearms rights.
But not all is well in the Commonwealth. We have the same stupidity in school as exists just about everywhere else.

What has been lost is the notion that exercising a right such that another's rights are not violated can never be a crime. Yet, that is exactly what these people are saying. They are working hard to turn gun owners into pariahs.

Frankly, it's time to get the pitchforks and torches out.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; April 24, 2013 at 09:57 AM. Reason: religious/holocaust reference.
Old April 24, 2013, 10:37 AM   #22
gaseousclay

I would assume that an NRA shirt would fall under freedom of expression. But, not knowing a school's policies on the matter makes me sit on the fence with this one. Were faculty and students offended by his shirt? If so, where do you draw the line with t-shirt graphics? It's one thing if someone wore something that was blatantly offensive, such as a design that was homophobic, racist or laced with profanity, but i'm not sure an NRA shirt falls into this territory
Old April 24, 2013, 10:38 AM   #23
gaseousclay

Quote:
Frankly, it's time to get the pitchforks and torches out.
you're not helping with statements like this
Old April 24, 2013, 10:40 AM   #24
lcpiper

A child calmly absorbing their training is the goal.

A child who can't pay attention, is drugged into submission.

A child that disrupts the process is arrested and removed from the process.

So who is that Pink Floyd dude anyway?
Old April 24, 2013, 10:43 AM   #25
MLeake

gaseousclay, in high school I often wore an Amnesty International t-shirt. What if that had offended somebody?

In the early 1990s, what if a kid had worn a Mandela or "End Apartheid" shirt?

Today, some kids wear Che Guevara shirts.

So why would you try to justify, in the slightest, the idiotic position taken by this school and its resource officer?
Closed Thread