The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 21, 2013, 05:37 AM   #1
kcub

Browning model 1910/1955 .380

LGS has one in mint condition. It's beautiful. Price tag is $600.

Info? Per wikipedia the FN version was the gun used to assassinate Archduke Ferdinand of the Austro-Hungarian Empire thereby touching off WW1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Model_1910

I assume this is a fmj only gun. Maybe Remington or Corbon Powrball as they seem to feed fine even in old school picky guns. And then again with a wimpy-ass .380 maybe fmj is the way to go anyway.
Old November 21, 2013, 05:50 AM   #2
kcub

I wonder what could possibly be the story behind these 1910 grips?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=376778080
Old November 21, 2013, 07:31 PM   #3
carguychris

IMHO the price is on the high side, but is not unreasonable for a postwar gun in pristine condition. The 1955 is one of the less common variants of the 1920/1922 family.

AFAIK all 1910-series guns have the serial number repeated under the aft end of the slide- it should be visible with the slide pulled back- and most also have the serial on the barrel hood. For this price, I would expect matching numbers. IIRC a 1955 should have slide markings that refer to Montreal, Quebec, Canada (abbreviated "P.Q." for Province Quebec), and black Bakelite grips with a "BROWNING" logo rather than an FN logo. IIRC some later 1955's have a tactile striker cocking indicator on the aft end of the slide; this feature is not found on earlier 1910's and 1922's.

As I've warned folks on this forum before... IMHO the thumb safety on the 1910 series should NOT be relied upon as a slide hold-open device! The notch in the slide is VERY easy to round off, and the typically loose slide-to-frame fit does not help matters. If you need to show it's clear, use a chamber flag, or wedge an empty shell case in the ejection port- don't use the safety.

All 1910-series guns have a magazine disconnect, although it is fairly easy to remove.
Quote:
I assume this is a fmj only gun. Maybe Remington or Corbon Powrball as they seem to feed fine even in old school picky guns.
I would NOT characterize the 1910 series as picky guns. One of the main reasons for these guns' successful and lengthy production run is that they're very rugged and reliable compared to most other prewar "coat pocket"-sized blowbacks.

However, one of the main reasons for their reliability is that the frame-to-slide and barrel-to-frame clearances are usually generous, so you should NOT expect it to be a tack-driver. (Not that you would necessarily expect this anyway, given the tiny sights. ) The barrel is fixed in a fore-aft direction by lateral underlugs that fit into slots in the frame- similar to the Colt Pocket Hammerless / Model M series- and there's usually quite a bit of play within the slots.

Last edited by carguychris; November 21, 2013 at 07:40 PM. Reason: minor reword...
Old November 21, 2013, 08:30 PM   #4
ricko

I got a 1910 a few months back & I like it a lot. It does not seem fussy but it hates tulammo steel. Mine is from 1965 & the finish is more brown than blue. I did have to file the safety slightly to make it hold the slide back, but it's good now. I only paid $300 for it though.... $600 seems high.
Old November 21, 2013, 08:43 PM   #5
kcub

Checked it out with a snap cap today. Hate the grip safety. You really have to squeeze this little sucker hard to disengage it.

Good looking little gun though.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=377150274

Here it is if anyone wants it. I can vouch for its cherry condition.
Old November 21, 2013, 10:33 PM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
I wonder what could possibly be the story behind these 1910 grips?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=376778080
Kind of sad, actually, that something like that ends up in an auction.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 21, 2013, 11:12 PM   #7
ricko

Quote:
Checked it out with a snap cap today. Hate the grip safety. You really have to squeeze this little sucker hard to disengage it.
Yes, the grip is on the small side and you have to grasp it pretty firmly and high up to release the safety. And unless you have very small hands, your trigger finger goes a long way through the guard, the trigger almost ends up behind your knuckle. The ergonomics aren't as good as they might have been. But in fairness, it WAS 1910, this was a pretty new configuration when it was designed.... and apparently the design was good enough to keep it in production for 3/4 of a century.

Another thing I noticed is that the bottom of the trigger rides in a groove in the trigger guard, and a couple of little burrs had built up on the edges of the groove which pinched my finger as the gun recoiled. I've smoothed those out, but I haven't had it back to the range to see if it's more comfortable.
Old November 25, 2013, 10:50 AM   #8
joe-lumber

It is a nice and beautiful pistol but I could never hit anything with it. The little sights and the long trigger pull probably cause it.
J