The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 28, 2013, 02:52 AM   #1
jp_over

help with new PCP air rifle selection

I need a little help with selecting a new PCP air rifle (previous air rifles were Sheridan blue streak & Beeman R9 gold finger both in .20 caliber).

Priorities are:
1) Quiet / back yard friendly
2) Capable of easily killing squirrels, crows, and occasionally rabbits at up to 50 yards
3) Hunting accurate (1/2" groups at 5-35 yards)
4) Reliable / not prone to needing repairs or adjustment once sighted in
5) $2,000 budget for rifle and all accessories (optics, pump, etc.)

Rifle choices are narrowed down to (to be used with a brand new Hill pump):
1) Daystate Huntsman XL with Permanently Bonded Airstream Reflex Mod (seems like the best choice)
2) Daystate Air Ranger (I would have to buy used as the new price is a bit higher than I'd like. I do like the flexibility of a non-permanently affixed silencer.)
3) Air Arms S510 (I don't like the adjustable power as it seems the wheel would need to be checked prior to each shot while hunting in brush or cover. This is also why I don't use target turrets on my hunting scopes. I have heard this brand and rifle are highly regarded, powerful, and very quiet.)

Caliber selections:
1) .22 capable, easy to find in a variety of configurations, fair trajectory/ballistics
2) .20 capable, difficult to find in a variety of weights, excellent trajectory/ballistics
3) .25 overly capable, fairly easy to find in a variety of weights, poor trajectory/ballistics. Sound of pellet smacking target is very loud.

Optics choices, in order, are (with BKL double strap rings/mounts):

$400 Leupold VX-2 3-9x33mm Rimfire Rifle Scope, EFR, Matte, Fine Duplex (looks to meet all my needs - priced a bit high)

$190 Nikon Prostaff Target EFR 3-9x40 AO Matte Precision Reticle, Black (a new contender, not sure if it's as solid as Leupold offerings which I've successfully used in all sorts of cold, wet, and nasty conditions (Alaska cold and Louisiana hot / humid / wet)

$800 Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm EFR Target (more than I need to spend and won't allow for close, fast targets)

Anything I'm forgetting / missing in my assessment? Comments and suggestions are welcome; thanks!

“God grant that men of principle shall be our principal men.” – Thomas Jefferson
Old April 28, 2013, 09:23 PM   #2
johnwilliamson062

I can't help much at all as I have never looked at PCP rifles in that price range, but I did just realize from reading your post one can put a normal scope on them as they do not have the "double recoil" of springers.
Old April 28, 2013, 09:54 PM   #3
mehavey

Not on your list, but I recommend the FX-Cyclone

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/FX%20Cyclone.htm

Here's why:

Scope is a Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical 5x15x40
http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Tacti.../dp/B004OEI4EC
(I've got the long-tube sunshade on it because of the (postscript)** sun angle.)

...with just enough $$ left over for a scuba tank (which I heartily recommend)

** postscript:
It's hell on squirrels (head shots only) which like to try and get into my attic through a vent hole.
Old April 30, 2013, 01:26 PM   #4
budd

PCP RIFLE

Have you looked at "AIRFORCE" AND THEIR LINE OF PCP RIFLES. They are abit excotic looking but are accurate and releable and you can change calibers and change from PCP to CO2 gas guns in a matter of minutes. I believe they start at 695 and go up from there. Just a recommadation

V/R
J.budd
Old April 30, 2013, 02:41 PM   #5
andyjr11

If you like to tinker with guns or do some outrages modding, Airforce is the only why to go. They are very accurate and can be very powerful, and they come in many calibers.
Old May 4, 2013, 07:24 AM   #6
jp_over

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the recommendations - the FX line has many fans as does the Airforce line of air rifles.

After quite a bit of research, I've just about decided on the Daystate Huntsman XL - however, I'm keeping my eyes open for the right used FX.

The Airforce rifles are excellent power houses but do require a bit of attention and tuning. For me, this doesn't meet my needs as I like to shoot / hunt and spend as little time maintaining or tuning the weapon as possible.

Thanks again!

“God grant that men of principle shall be our principal men.” – Thomas Jefferson