The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 20, 2013, 11:56 AM   #1
weblance

SBR Question

I have a Beretta Neos pistol, and the Carbine kit. I want to assemble the pistol barrel on the shoulder stocked action. I know it needs BATFE approval and the $200 Tax. Does this need Local Law Enforcement approval, on the forms, like a suppressor does? I dont want to start a trust, and my CLEO will sign my forms, but I dont know how a Form 1 is different from a Form 4. Also, does the receiver need any special engravings, or is the original receiver serial number sufficient?
Old April 20, 2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Sasquatch in MN

I am not the ATF, but what it sounds like is the typical SBR AR15 proposition.

Form 1 requires local CLEO sign-off and engraving of the receiver. It's different than the Form 4 because you are registering a new NFA firearm (the resultant SBR), and not simply a transferee of one already made and registered by someone else.

Engraving is simply your name, city, and state. I've used Orion Arms in the past on my SBR's.

Sounds like a nice project and a fun little shooter.

Don
Old April 20, 2013, 03:42 PM   #3
weblance

If the receiver has to be engraved, I wonder how I would do this because I believe the receiver is polymer on the Neos. It has a metal plate that shows thru a "window" with the serial number... It might not be possible then...
Old April 25, 2013, 08:27 AM   #4
tmorone

Google "beretta neos sbr" - it's been done before, so it's possible. Looks pretty cool too.
Old April 25, 2013, 12:17 PM   #5
eodinert

Why don't you want to do a trust? It's easier, and generally cheaper than an individual transfer, and has other advantages...

You can laser engrave the plastic, it looks good and will work fine (and be legal). If you don't like that idea, you can engrave the barrel.
Old April 25, 2013, 07:51 PM   #6
weblance

How would engraving the barrel be legal? The barrel is easily removable. I would think the receiver needs to be engraved, because it is the "firearm"
Old April 25, 2013, 10:41 PM   #7
David Hineline

You thought wrong, Only the serial number needs be on the receiver. Other marking can be on the barrel.
Old April 26, 2013, 08:04 PM   #8
tmorone

That's good info David, never knew that!
Old April 27, 2013, 01:42 PM   #9
weblance

Actually Yes, that is good to know. Maybe it is possible then. I sure would like to do it. It would be a fun little plinker.
Old April 28, 2013, 11:29 AM   #10
eodinert

Quote:
How would engraving the barrel be legal? The barrel is easily removable. I would think the receiver needs to be engraved, because it is the "firearm"
Because if you read the law, it says you can engrave the barrel...spells it out real clear.