The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 8, 2009, 02:23 PM   #1
therealtwitch

ranger T vs. PDX1

well I know how well the ranger T does. But to day I picked up a box of winchester PDX1 bonded rounds. I am wondering how well the do. they shoot just as good as my ranger T's so I am wondering is it worth switching to the PDX1's? I imagine they will retain more weight but will they expand and penetrate as well as the ranger T's?
Old August 8, 2009, 05:19 PM   #2
whiplash

there are some Rangers now bonded.

http://www.winchester.com/lawenforce...g/catalog.aspx
Old August 8, 2009, 07:47 PM   #3
therealtwitch

I know that they do. But I have now in my possession both the PDX1 and ranger T. I am just wondering how these 2 rounds stack up against each other, and which one is best.
Old August 8, 2009, 10:34 PM   #4
KCabbage

I doubt theres a big difference when the heat is on. Ones bonded and the other has talons. The bonded version is probably better for law enforcement since they have a much greater chance of having to shoot through barriers.
Old August 9, 2009, 12:26 AM   #5
AdamSean

Actually the PDX1 round has the same talons. Nasty little buggers! I personally carry the PDX1 ammunition.
Old August 9, 2009, 03:41 PM   #6
therealtwitch

I have a nice PDF of info about the T's on my computer from winchester. do they have something similar of the PDX1's?
Old August 10, 2009, 01:43 PM   #7
KCabbage

I'm pretty sure the PDX1 doesn't have talons. If it did they may as well drop the Ranger T line. http://www.winchester.com/products/newitems/pdx1.aspx
Old August 10, 2009, 03:25 PM   #8
#18indycolts

Quote:
Actually the PDX1 round has the same talons.
they dont, they're 2 diff. rounds. 1 thing the pdx1's are available to the general public, the ranger's are LE rounds...a little harder to get for some people.

Quote:
The bonded version is probably better for law enforcement since they have a much greater chance of having to shoot through barriers.
+1..unless you're going to be shooting thru windows and such, I'd stay with the ranger t's.
Old August 10, 2009, 03:37 PM   #9
ReNtaPiG

The last I checked PDX1 ammo is "Bonded" and SXT's are NOT!!

so therefore PDX1 does NOT have "Talon's" like the T-series do

Although Winchester's rule states Ranger ammo is for Law Enforcement only, there are numerous places to purchase this ammo even for the general public.

Bonded ammo most certainly throws up better ballistics numbers when faced with barriers such as auto glass, wallboard etc etc and more suitable for "duty" use...but for SD or HD the T-series make a fine fine choice...quite the efficient "food processor" with those lovely talons
Old August 10, 2009, 03:46 PM   #10
NightSight

Not to hijack the thread, but would there be legal ramifications in the event of an SD shooting by a civilian with the Ranger Ts since they are supposed to be for LE only??
Old August 10, 2009, 03:59 PM   #11
#18indycolts

like the federal hst round (which is what I use), they try and restrict the sale of them to law enforcement agencies...its not the law, only federal and winchesters' rules. So its perfectly legal to own and use.
Old August 10, 2009, 04:01 PM   #12
HorseSoldier

Quote:
I know that they do. But I have now in my possession both the PDX1 and ranger T. I am just wondering how these 2 rounds stack up against each other, and which one is best.
Who cares? Practice more. Being able to put your round(s) in the bad guy faster and more accurately than he can do the same to you means infinitely more than which super-bullet you carry. All these threads about which premium ammo load to carry are just debates about how many angels can dance on the head of pin compared to developing and honing basic skills and competence.
Old August 10, 2009, 04:05 PM   #13
#18indycolts

Quote:
Who cares?
but then you've got those that won't answer a thread, only give their opinion on what other people should do.
Old August 10, 2009, 04:10 PM   #14
Superhouse 15

I saw my first expanded PDX round the other day. It's a Gold Dot. No talons, just a blatant Gold Dot copy. Even had the little Gold Dot in the center of the mushroomed bullet.
Old August 10, 2009, 08:28 PM   #15
KCabbage

Horse you are right. Between these two loads it's not really going to matter other than the fact that the bonded load will hold up better through barriers. However, a more effective bullet will increase your chances for survival wouldn't you say?
Old September 2, 2013, 04:21 PM   #16
Dragger34

Does anyone know if the 9mm PDX1 is +P? 124g or 147g?
Old September 2, 2013, 06:50 PM   #17
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
I am just wondering how these 2 rounds stack up against each other, and which one is best.
I know I may catch flack for this but the Cor-bon DPX round resist tip clogging very well and expand even when hitting bone whereas many others have less success.http://www.brassfetcher.com/index_fi...ticGelatin.htm

Read the bone section of 9mm and 45. Interesting stuff.
Old September 2, 2013, 07:01 PM   #18
Mystro

The difference between the two are so minuscule, they are not a factor to even worry about. Its fu being hypercritical of ammo but the reality is all premium ammo will get the job done if you do your part.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old September 3, 2013, 02:04 PM   #19
ClydeFrog

Use of LE only ammunition by armed citizens....

note:
Author, sworn LE officer & legal expert on lethal force, Massad Ayoob has written at length on the topic.
Ayoob says that "law enforcement only" or "police only" are just labels. They are meant for marketing or for factory employees to quickly know which rounds go where.
Some large PDs or government agencies buy lots of rounds(lots meaning 1000s of rounds at a time). These contract runs may include boxes or packages that say; LE ONLY or for defense use.
Armed citizens can buy or own this ammunition. It's not a major legal issue & if questioned, Id say; "I chose this brand or type because it was selected by ___, a major LE agency."
On security details, I packed Winchester Ranger T 127gr +P+ JHP for my pistols due in part to my area's PD using the load for the SIG Sauer P226R.

Im now more inclined to use the Hornady Critcal Duty in both .45acp & 9x19mm. It has good specs & it's well engineered.

Clyde