The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 22, 2013, 07:02 PM   #1
vorgath

Budget priced 45 good for all ammunition ?

Need a slightly smaller sized 45, for home defense, and a lot of range time. I mentioned good for all ammunition because I intend to do reloaded rounds, seems a lot cheaper that way.

Before just recently I had only shot Beretta 92, and no, I don't like the gun, I had to use it but that's about it.

Took my fiancé to the range, we fired the SIG P229 compact in 40, and the Springfield XD in 45, maybe it was XDS ?!? We decided, 45, now problem is which one. This is what I need:

Not too big grip, I have smaller hands, glove size S to M in some gloves.

Rugged reliable gun, I don't need 13 rounds, my hands would be uncomfortable.

What kind of action, well if I have to get used to DAO so be it, I would prefer an external safety, or the cocked hammer like on a Colt 45, was looking at a Cold Officer 45, and I liked it.

Preferably with under barrel rail, to mount laser sight, not a must BUT would make it easier for me to convince my girl HEY this is THE gun lol
Old August 22, 2013, 07:11 PM   #2
vorgath

Crap !!! Lol forgot to mention this...

The slightly smaller P229, I have a video, looked at it, yeah the grip seemed tiny tiny bit too short for me.

The bottom of the grip of the Springfield, was giving me issues.

Would a Colt Officer model for 500 dollars be a good deal ?
Old August 22, 2013, 07:26 PM   #3
James K
Staff

A Colt Officers .45 in good condition would be well worth $500. Any commercial or GI .45 in good condition should be OK with any commercial .45 ACP load or the handloaded equivalent.

If you can find a range in your area that rents guns, you might want to try various models before buying one. Or check out your friends to see if any has guns you can try.

Jim
Old August 22, 2013, 08:35 PM   #4
arch308

I would suggest a Bersa UltraCompact Pro. I own Glocks, 1911s, etc but am really taken by this little jewel. Holds 7+1 and is very comfortable both to shoot and on the pocket book. I have run a few hundred rounds thru it so far and it has been very reliable and accurate.
Old August 22, 2013, 09:06 PM   #5
EnoughGUN

Witness steel or poly compact.
Old August 22, 2013, 09:13 PM   #6
lamarw

I have a limited variety of .45ACPs. Most are better pistols than I am going to recommend to you. My recommendation comes closest to my interpretation of your requirement. Where it fails your requirement is with the additional safety.

It is a Sig Sauer P250. You can get it in three sizes (full, compact and sub-compact), but it only comes in double action. Not as nice as a P220, but with more sizes, about half the price, and good reliable quality.
Old August 22, 2013, 09:29 PM   #7
vorgath

i was actually looking at the 250, looked like a good deal, but my questions are:

How fat is the grip ?

And isn't the trigger pull very long ?

How does the 250 handle reloaded rounds ? or bulk ammo from Walmart ?

I mean for around $550, it seems like an awesome deal.
Old August 22, 2013, 09:51 PM   #8
vorgath

OMG !!!

My lady loves the Bersa idea, turns out she loved shooting a Bersa 380, but she said it jammed after lots of fire, round got stuck in the barrel ?
Old August 22, 2013, 11:41 PM   #9
lamarw

My P250 (.45ACP) is a full size. The grip/frame (since it is a single piece) approximate dimensions are 1 & 3/4" by 2" and a circumference of approx. 5 & 3/4".

I also have a 9mm in the P250 with it's own fire control unit. I use nothing but my own reloads in both calibers with various bullet sizes and forms (FMJ, lead and Hollow Points). My experience is excellent reliability and complete trust in both pistols with these reloads.

They are good pistols but don't compare to the love I have for my P220's.
The picture will explain my statement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sig 45's.jpg (244.9 KB, 48 views)
Old August 22, 2013, 11:53 PM   #10
SIGSHR

How fat is the grip? How big is your hand? If you can grip it comfortably that's all that matters.
How well does it handle reloads? Depends on the quality of the reloads. Bulk ammo from Walmart? If it's from one of the reputable makers, should be no problem.
Old August 22, 2013, 11:57 PM   #11
vorgath

but ... the trigger pull

we had to do lots of dry fire with the 92F Beretta, the M9, and I couldn't stand, still can't stand the DA trigger pull, loooooooong trigger pull

I'm worried the 250 will have the same trigger pull
Old August 23, 2013, 12:26 AM   #12
lamarw

You are correct. The P250 has a long but very smooth trigger pull. The long trigger pull is the safety process for this type pistol and why it is safe to carry with one in the pipe.

An easy pistol to locate and personally try the trigger. "By all means do not buy" if you do not like the trigger pull or any other key feature to this or any other firearm.
Old August 23, 2013, 06:12 AM   #13
ritepath

You may want to check into the SR45....mine eats any wally world junk, including wolf and reloads. Accurate, good trigger, slim grip. Not so small however...
Old August 24, 2013, 02:47 AM   #14
vorgath

alrighty then lol, fiancee is talking about 380, guess she loved the Bersa 380 she shot years ago

So I may end with a 45 more like I want it lol

Does anyone have the specs for the DA trigger pull on a Beretta M9, the military version of the 92F ?

I wanted to compare it, to guns listed by different manufacturers.
Old August 24, 2013, 02:47 PM   #15
K31Scout

A Sig is nice; what's your budget? They are high end pistols. Did you like the XDs45? They are around $500 or a little more. Try an M&P 45c. It's got a double stack grip but it has adjustable back straps for hand sizes. Or as mentioned, the Ruger SRc45 which has a slimmer grip.
There, do you home work!
Oh, check out the Kahr 45's too.
Old August 25, 2013, 04:21 PM   #16

For home, vehicle and range use, the Ruger SR45 is about as good as it gets, IMO. Since the back-strap is reversible and you have small to medium size hands, the flat side exposed should fit your hand perfectly. It's not a compact and the SR45c has yet to be introduced but the Ruger SR polymer framed pistols are the slimmest double-stacks you will find. The SR45 is a good bit trimmer than an XD Tac or XDm. Mine is a tack-driver and is totally reliable. I've put very few factory rounds through mine and have used a number of different bullet styles in my handloads. I shoot cast lead bullets both in 200 grains with a SWC and a RNFP. The only jacketed bullets my SR45 has fired have been JHPs. After you've fired 300 - 400 rounds the trigger becomes lighter and smoother than it comes from the factory. It can be further enhanced by removing the mag. disconnect safety, which is as simple as removing the striker, and polishing the contact points on the steel trigger bar.

The XD/XDms are great pistols and I prefer them to Glocks, but for me, the SR45 is even better and it's a good bit trimmer than either. If you really want a compact and can wait just a bit, we should be very close to Ruger introducing the SR45c, but for your purposes I can't see a compact being that necessary. MY shooting partner carries an SR9c which becomes pretty much invisible for CC, but because they are as slim as they are, I have no problem concealing an SR9. Now he's on the look out for one as well since I loaned him my SR9 to carry and evaluate for a while.
Old August 25, 2013, 04:25 PM   #17
lee n. field

Quote:
I would suggest a Bersa UltraCompact Pro.
Ditto, except for the hand size. A double stack .45 is pretty fat. Try before you buy.

DA/SA, 7 rounds. Safety works like the 1911 guys like (frame mounted, up is safe, down is fire.)

Quote:
My lady loves the Bersa idea, turns out she loved shooting a Bersa 380, but she said it jammed after lots of fire, round got stuck in the barrel ?
Round got stuck in the barrel is an ammunition problem.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 25, 2013, 04:28 PM   #18
Uncle Malice

Sig P250, Springfield XD, or cheaper 1911 would be my suggestions.
Old August 25, 2013, 10:00 PM   #19
vorgath

Ok to complicate it all, don't have a video of me shooting the XD, funny thing is I shot more accurate with the 40 (P229) than the 45 (XD hmm or XDM not sure)

But I like the 45 better, if it makes any sense ? Possibility that my 40 grouping was slightly better due to me being used to a 9mm Beretta ?

Edit: I did however not try double tapping with either gun

So I need a damn accurate 45, I guess too short if a barrel like the Kahr wouldn't be a good idea huh ?

Last edited by vorgath; August 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old August 26, 2013, 10:12 AM   #20
SpareMag

Tisas or Citadel or one of those ilk?

Relatively cheap, $400-$500, 1911 format, single stack so it should be grippable. Reportedly, they are both good weapons. Maybe not Ed Browns, but I understand they go bang when asked.
Old August 26, 2013, 10:40 AM   #21
DealHunter

I agree a used Sig P220 might be good as it's a single stack and slimmer (they make the 227 now which is more like your 229). Friend's father has one and it was easy to hold (I've got smaller hands as well). By me used LE trade-in 220s can be found for around 400-500

A used USP .45 is around 500 but has a larger grip of course, although I still find it usable.

Otherwise, 1911s are easy to shoot well and slim
Old August 26, 2013, 11:00 AM   #22
ozo

If she is thinking .380acp then it's a simple no brainer.
The Bersa Thunder [or Firestorm] in .380 [or .22lr] has not
only been around for ages, all the kinks long ago worked out,
has a beautiful feed ramp that eats anything, but is highly
affordable, fits almost all sized hands well, and is very concealable.

For a 1911 .45acp platform between $0-$1200 that fits your smaller hand [and hers], choice of 3.5" and 5" bbl, eats anything, and is very smooth and reliable,
a Rock Island Armory. A group of us all have at least one RIA. Several of us carry an RIA everyday. One of us is a real super 1911 lunatic, er, fanatic, and owns well over 50 1911's, and I swear to you, he shoots 100-200 rounds almost EVERYDAY. He owned a gun store for years, has a range off his back porch, and has traded for some awesome high end 1911's over time. He has several Philippino-made RIA's and will be the first to tell you to get one.
Old August 26, 2013, 11:02 AM   #23
lefteye

The Ruger SR45 seems to fit your requirements very nicely. The grip is slightly thinner than virtually any 1911 (although a 1911 with thin grips may be nearly the same width as an SR45 grip); capacity is 10+1; it has a rail; and MSRP is only $529. I paid $450 for a new SR9c several months ago and would expect a similar price for new SR45.

PS The SR45 has an external safety.

Last edited by lefteye; August 26, 2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old August 26, 2013, 12:29 PM   #24
vorgath

Oh so the SR45 does have an under barrel rail ? I wasn't sure about that.

I could do with a cheaper used 1911 style, only issue I've seen is the full sized one are too front heavy for me right now, gotta hit the gym again lol, while some other ones have maybe slightly too short barrel, some are less than 3.5.

So I guess it's either a 1911 style a la Commander style, I have no problem with the cocking n then pull n shoot, or a DAO where I have to get used to the trigger. Worst case scenario it'll be a gun I get used to and later on sell if I want to buy a "better" (for me) one
Old August 26, 2013, 03:49 PM   #25
Laz

Forgive the heresy, but an inexpensive .45 acp that satisfies most of your requirements, particularly reliability with all ammo, is a Ruger Blackhawk convertible. Fairly lightweight, fits small hands, laughs at odd-assorted ammo, reliable as a hammer. Generally, quite accurate. Fails miserably when it comes to a quick reload, though.

Use It Up, Wear It Out,
Make It Do, Or Do Without