The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 18, 2013, 11:52 AM   #1
BoogieMan

X-Frames

Cleaning my 460XVR I notice that the hammer and trigger are both MIM or pot metal. Trigger is great in SA and pretty manageable in DA. Im sure that both will hold up just fine for many years. BUT, I dont like them having the "cheap" look. Where can I get replacements and does the X frame share parts with other S&W's? Could it also be refered to as a N or K or something?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 18, 2013, 07:19 PM   #2
Sharpsdressed Man

You can check with S&W for specifics about replacements or upgrades, but I overheard a top revolver smith say he actually liked to work on the new S&W revolvers, and that tolerances have never been better. He gets good results on the mim parts.
Old April 18, 2013, 07:30 PM   #3
newfrontier45

Bad as the new guns are I'm pretty sure S&W has never used pot metal.
Old April 18, 2013, 10:06 PM   #4
Venom1956

Yeah I'll agree the new MIM parts in S&W and Ruger are unsightly but MIM supposedly just as good. Personally I think they look like crap but hey if it works it works.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old April 18, 2013, 10:15 PM   #5
hAkron

Are you sure they are not hard chromed? Hard chrome has a dull flat look to it.
Old April 21, 2013, 05:31 PM   #6
BoogieMan

I cant say for sure if they are hard chromed or not. They are definitely molded somehow. The hammer and the trigger are all I have noticed. As others said I doubt it will ever be a problem. I just dont like the way they look. SA Trigger on this gun is short crisp and easy. DA is surprisingly easy also. Found out this morning I can hit a, lets say Beaver sized target at 70yds with irons.
Anybody know what parts may interchange so I can dump the unsightly trigger and hammer. I am thinking a blued set would look great with the black grip and black scope. kind of tie things together
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 25, 2013, 12:13 AM   #7
Glock20/460long

Quote:
Bad as the new guns are I'm pretty sure S&W has never used pot metal.
Didn't New Jersey ban Pot metal in the early 70s?
Old April 25, 2013, 08:28 PM   #8
saleen322

MIM Parts

Quote:
...I overheard a top revolver smith say he actually liked to work on the new S&W revolvers, and that tolerances have never been better. He gets good results on the mim parts.
That is a fact. I have new and old S&Ws plus I went to S&W Armorer school about 11 years ago. The MIM process allows use of alloys that would have been time consuming and tough to machine. Also a MIM revolver is much easier to put replacement parts into if needed as little fitting is required due to close tolerance on parts and less wear because of the hardness of the parts. I have a 460 but I don't know if any parts would swap with the old guns. Besides, I would not want to put softer metal in a revolver with that kind of operating pressure. JMHO.
Old April 26, 2013, 08:40 AM   #9
BoogieMan

Not to change this to a MIM vs Billet thread. There have been sooooo many.
Im in manufacturing for 20 years and have a degree in engineering and machining . MIM, Investment cast etc.. Are great quality parts in some instances they are superior to machined parts because of grain structure, even disbursement of carbon etc... They also help make the guns that we all love affordable. In my case I just dont like the appearance on my gun. I would prefer that they were blued machined steel parts. I think the black grip,trigger,hammer and scope would make for a nice look. I may end up taking the parts out, cleaning them up and cerakote them to achieve the look I want. I prefer to have something different then the guy in the next lane
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 26, 2013, 09:16 PM   #10
Canardman

I have to second the unsightly hammer on the 460. Mine has an uneven mold mark on the face of it. It actually only strikes with half of the hammer. The other side doesn't even touch. It is, however, a very crisp trigger... Every bit as crisp as my old Single Six.