The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 18, 2013, 10:20 AM   #1
led0321

Redding 223 dies

I had some Hornady 223 dies and didn't like them, I am looking at the redding dies, what is the opinion of TFL members?

I just want to reload for plinking
Old April 18, 2013, 10:29 AM   #2
mjes92

I recommend Dillon dies. I have loaded Thousands of .223 and have been happy with Dillon's features and customer service since day one.

Good luck.
Old April 18, 2013, 12:04 PM   #3
rg1

Redding is the best machined and polished die sets that I have. Excellent dies but also a little higher priced. I've got die sets for .223 from Hornady, RCBS, and Redding. All of them do the job with no issues.
Old April 18, 2013, 12:07 PM   #4
hammie

This is one of those questions without a hard answer, but instead with different preferences and opinions which are all equally valid.

For myself, I've been reloading for 40 years, and I have come to like redding dies best. Any new die that I buy is redding, and I've been slowly converting everything over to that brand.

My die preferences in order are: (1) Redding, (2) RCBS, (3) Hornady, (4) Lyman, and (5) Lee.

Some people don't like Lee at all, but my single Lee 7.62x54R russian die, performs just fine.

One Lee piece of equipment, that I really like is their factory crimp die. It works magic for crimping thin walled cases without crumpling or deforming the case.
Old April 18, 2013, 12:35 PM   #5
Farmland

This might sound simple but I like the dies that works. I have several brands of dies, RCBS, Hornady, Dillon etc.

On a progressive press I favor Dillon (carbide) dies for most every hand gun I load for, 380-38-357-9-40-45. The case go into the die with no problems and they work just great.

I load the 44 mag on single stage Lee press but favor the RCBS carbide die set.

Most of my long rifles I favor RCBS but found the Hornady die work better for my 45-70. These are all loaded on s single stage press.

My 233 is weird because I use both a single stage and progressive press. I use a RCBS to size and decap on the single stage. Don't ask why I just like doing this and since they have always feed in anyone's 223 I figure why change.

I then move to the progressive for the rest of the steps and I use a combination of RCBS and Lee to finish the production.

To me dies are like gas most everyone has a favorite brand. Some people are like me and get comfortable with a certain die.

The only die set you will never get me to give up is my 25-06 RCBS dies. Look it may not be the dies but this is by far the most accurate rifle I have when it comes to developing the perfect round. I'm sure I could get the same results with another die manufacture but for now I'm not changing no matter how better the other die is said to be.

So in the long run find a die manufacture that works for you. There certainly are a lot of them out on the market. For me RCBS does just fine with my 223 but the real statement is in the operator not the dies.
Old April 18, 2013, 01:05 PM   #6
rajbcpa

I don't like the tapper on the Hornady sizing dies. They seem to cause more issues getting the cases into the sizing die than other dies. Occasionally, you need to use your hand to center the case in the die and, for me, that does not seem to happen with other dies.

I also do not like their locking rings or their LNL system.

I also have RCBS and Lee FCDs. The RCBS dies are very solid. The Lee FCDs are just plain convenient.
Old April 18, 2013, 07:27 PM   #7
jepp2

I am converting over to Redding. I just prefer the workmanship on them. If you are going to do much sizing it well worth getting the carbide expander. I'm not suggesting Lyman or RCBS will not work, just worth the small extra price to me for the Redding quality.
Old April 18, 2013, 08:27 PM   #8
Toolman

I used Lee dies for years but have switched over to Dillon on all my reloading equipment because of their no BS warranty, the way they do business and they go above & beyond the call of duty for you.
I am not a match shooter but if I were, I'd choose Redding dies and definitely stay with Dillon Presses.