The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 17, 2013, 02:50 PM   #26
Doc Hoy

I am heartened by the fact...

...That we seemed not to go completely nuts after the Newtown Massacre. Although it certainly seemed that many wanted to, cooler heads appear to have prevailed.

I heard Giuliani on a morning show saying that the measure now before congress will do nothing to curb gun violence.

The other day a talking head was calling our attention to the fact that the real problem is not school shootings or theater shootings (Though they are no less terrible taken as they come.) but the high number of young folks who die every day because of a lack of regard for the sanctity of life.

All the restrictive gun laws in the world won't fix that.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. Thomas Jefferson
Old April 17, 2013, 03:02 PM   #27
Jim Watson

What do you mean "we," Doc?
The antis are determined to not let a crisis go to waste.
The Sandy Hook sequel is not over. I expect repressive amendments to whatever so-called "compromise" or "alternative" bill is publicized.
CCRKBA has dropped support for Manchin-Toomey as a restoration of rights provision was edited out by Chuckie Schumer.

I expect gunpowder, whether black or white, to be harder to get next year.
Old April 17, 2013, 03:42 PM   #28
kwhi43@kc.rr.com

Just read on the Fox news site that Black Powder was in the presure cooker bombs.
Old April 17, 2013, 03:48 PM   #29
Captchee

it funny really because the whole BP classification has no real base .
The same things can be done with any of the synthetic BP equivalents and in fact smokeless if a person were to really want to
Top that off there are other options that are in fact much easier to obtain and far more deadly

Speaking for myself , I see the current and any additional restrictions on BP nothing more then the latest attempt at gun restrictions as really having no more bearing then effecting the honest person . The reality is it doesn’t effect those who would want to use it for a crime. If they are going to do that , they would just make it
Old April 17, 2013, 04:08 PM   #30
Doc Hoy

What I mean by "we"

Is that I place myself in the group which believes that the proper response to a school shooting is not more restictive firearm laws. It appears that the move against assault weapons is losing momentum. The Manchin legistlation (I think) has a clause that makes registration unlawful and attempts to gain information about gun ownership a crime punishable by up to 15 yrs in the slammer. I have to admit that I don't know what the Manchin law does for private sales or gifts.

But Florida just passed a ban on large cap magazines (IIUC).

I am not saying we can relax. The force of efforts to make firearms illegal is still very real but it is my sense that the number of folks who support that is quite small. It is perhaps right to fear that lawmakers will bypass the second amendment by making ammunition including powder harder to get.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. Thomas Jefferson
Old April 17, 2013, 04:23 PM   #31
PetahW

Well, at least some comfort can be taken from the fact that the latest/greatest compromise gun bill, backed by hunter/Senators Toomey & Manchin, just got voted down in the US Senate an hour or so ago - and got praised by McCain for "doing the right thing", even though they lost.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/17/politi...ote/index.html

Old April 17, 2013, 10:04 PM   #32
Bishop Creek

Here we go:

http://reason.com/blog/2013/04/17/se...round-checks-t
Old April 18, 2013, 07:16 AM   #33
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
How anyone equates a bombing with firearms and the Second Amendment is beyond me.
I am sure there was a time in the US where it was widely accepted that the second amendment DID cover many explosives. It isn't the "firearms amendment." You are correct in that time was long ago when the USA was a Republic.
Old April 18, 2013, 07:25 AM   #34
g.willikers

Doc Hoy,
Florida restricts magazine capacity?
Where did you hear that?
Old April 18, 2013, 07:52 AM   #35
JimPage

I have NO doubt that the control freaks will jump and at any opportunity to put restrictions on anything. Look at Bloomberg's soda size, etc.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old April 18, 2013, 07:56 AM   #36
simco6

thank God I live in Oklahoma because I would pull my hair out of my head if I had to apply for half the permits some of you have to abtain
Old April 18, 2013, 08:19 AM   #37
bikerbill

Given the cloud of smoke, would it be gun powder or black powder that was used? Are purchase/possesion rules the same?

+1 simco6 ... found a gun I wanted at Cabela's yesterday, walked out with it 20 minutes later. God Bless Texas!
Old April 18, 2013, 08:23 AM   #38
csmsss

There are many ways to build an explosive device. All we really know is that those used in Boston were intended as anti-personnel devices and used pressure vessels to maximize the energy of the blasts. The accelerants/explosive compounds have not yet been identified to the public.
Old April 18, 2013, 10:20 AM   #39
KBP

We have gun powder purchase laws here

Lets all pray for the victims and hope the criminals are caught.
Old April 18, 2013, 10:28 AM   #40
johnwilliamson062

Guys, the founders never considered the possibility of a person being able to walk into a store and purchase a pound of black powder right off the shelf when they wrote the constitution.

Wait a second... Never mind, I don't think any sort of regulation of black powder is going anywhere.
Old April 18, 2013, 10:35 AM   #41
rajbcpa

i suppose that if you bought gunpowder in mass. recently that your name is now on an interested person list and that is wrong.

gun registries like the new one in NY are evil.
Old April 18, 2013, 10:42 AM   #42
jimbob86

Quote:
No license required for a pressure cooker???

http://nefirearm.com/
Old April 18, 2013, 03:16 PM   #43
Doc Hoy

Apparently, for the first time in my life....

...(and you heard this from me directly) I am wrong.

I know, I know....It is hard to believe.

Here is what happened:

Last time I was in FL (Late March of this year) I was sitting in my hotel eating breakfast and half listening to the news.

The talking head was saying something about a vote the previous day in the FL legislature that had something to do with firearms.

I asked the hotel wheenie if it was a ban on high cap magazines and he said, "Yes"

End of that piece of data.

Next, I visited one of the shops that I always go to when I am in FL (at least once per month) and there was a conversation among the people in the shop that centered on the recent vote in the FL legislature about firearms. I didn't hear much of it because I was too busy drooling over my next rifle. (Uberti Sharps .45-70)

Now, I have gone to the internet and I am unable to find any record of a vote in the FL legislature about magazine capacity limitations.

Old April 18, 2013, 03:58 PM   #44
histed

I just read kwhi43's post about BP in the bomb. Just to show media hype, here in PA we had a talking head "explaining" how the bomber spent thousands buying "bullets" to disassemble to get powder to make the bombs. Yeah... if he knows all this, maybe he should turn the bomber in. And some wonder why we stockpile.
Old April 18, 2013, 05:01 PM   #45
Smokin'Joe

"Hell, at some point I fully expect to have to produce a card to purchase ammo or components"

In Massachusetts we have been required to do so for years. Yes, for Black Powder, caps and lead balls.
Old April 18, 2013, 05:10 PM   #46
kwhi43@kc.rr.com

Just got a E-mail from the NMLRA alerting everybody about a bill that was just
proposed that would require background checks on any amount of blackpowder bought as well as subs, and smoleless powder. This from a demecrat from NJ.
Old April 18, 2013, 06:20 PM   #47
brazosdave

Yeah, it's Senator Lautenberg again. We had a problem in the military a few yrs ago. there was a "Lautenberg amendment" which basically was if you ever were involved in a domestic violence incident, you couldn't possess a firearm. It didn't specify what the incident was, it could be you were arguing loud and ****** off the neighbors. Unfortunately, that would mean about 50% of the military and quite a big percentage I'm sure of Law enforcement would not be able to handle their service weapons. This got shelved and I never heard anything about it again, but I remember the commanders discussing the ramifications of it all. Sen Lautenberg is, for lack of a better word, a goober.
Old April 18, 2013, 06:32 PM   #48
jimpeel

When I was in MA they changed the law. My neighbor said "I went to sleep with a Remington shotgun in the closet and woke up with an assault weapon in the closet." He then had to go have his fingerprints and mugshot taken and his info was placed on the state criminal database with all of the murderers, rapists, burglars, and robbers. I never registered my firearms nor did I ever apply for an FID. When I got there it was $2 for life. After the change it was $25/year plus all of the registration requirements.

A person who wants to buy a Ramset gun and loads in MA has to have an FID.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old April 18, 2013, 06:49 PM   #49
Slamfire

I hope it leads to effective legislation controlling the ever expanding distribution of pressure cookers.

All pressure cookers need to be registered, purchasers to undergo back ground checks, felons and people with high cholesterol to be banned from ownership, and a limit of one pressure cooker a month instated.

I will feel much safer when this happens.
Old April 18, 2013, 07:10 PM   #50
jlb43

I second Slamfire and I also believe that it should be illegal to sell or own any pressure cooker larger that 4 quarts and that you should be required to take a "pressure cooker safety class" before you can purchase one so you will know what to do if it blows up in yer kitchen and covers the ceiling with string beans.

As to background checks, if the gubment keeps buying ammo at the rate they presently are there won't be any need for background checks or for guns either. Around here reloading supplies are every bit as scarce as cartridges. This is not as far fetched as it sounds. Check to see how much ammunition is manufactured annually world wide. Estimates are around 14 billion rounds a year. Then figure a buck a round which is far more that Sam pays and you will see that Uncle Sam can consume every piece if he so desires. Hell, Bernake just has to fire up the presses to print the dough to pay for it. Chump change. No problem!