The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 5, 2013, 09:18 PM   #1
QuarterHorse

Upgrade current or change platforms

With my lever gun and bow on order and on their way I'm in the "mode" to keep playing with something new. I had started a thread on here a while ago about long range hunting and got what I expected for answers. "Do you realistically see yourself doing it" amongst "What caliber would be best" etc....

While I'm not going to Africa in the near future nor Alaska or Pacific NW much sooner at this time, I do see myself doing blackbear hunts (bow and gun), more pig hunts (a yearly thing I think from now on), as well as white tail hunting and I think I'm going on a Ram (Corsican, not a Dall sheep but smaller) hunt as a combo type hunt next January.

I currently own an off the shelf Savage Mod 11 in .308 with whatever Bushnell optic that came on it, non-Accutrigger model. The gun has served well and shoots sub MOA with cheap Remington Cor-lokt ammo. I guess I can't really ask a lot more out of it than that, however, it's lacking "nice add ons". I've also been lucky enough to get myself within "chip shot ranges" when hunting with it. I want to say the longest shot I've made on game was 150 yards. That being said I'd like the availability to be able to make adjustments on the fly for longer/shorter ranges and then the thought of upgrading my current platform comes into play.

Optics - Target turrets, Mil dot reticles, or BDC reticles? Don't just pic one but give me your reasons as I'm used to none of these.

Stock upgrade - Mine doesn't seem to be "bad" per say but upgrading to something stiffer and perhaps lighter would be a plus.

Trigger - Timney, Rifle Basics, other? It's a hunting gun and the 6+ lb pull I'm working with makes in the field shots a little longer to take vs being comfy on a bench at the range. I definetly want to get something lighter. It breaks nice, just a too heavy for my ideal trigger.

Or..............do I leave it alone as it has nothing to prove and spend some money on a "jewel" per say in my safe and put nice components together in a "better" caliber? That alone could be a thread all to in of itself. A 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag have all ran across my mind of having put together.

I don't want this to be a bash-a-thon of a thread, just something fun and informative for some board members to throw around some good ideas. I promise to put a thread up when I start doing whatever it is I start doing for all to see.

Thanks and lets have some fun discussing this
Old May 5, 2013, 09:31 PM   #2
reynolds357

To me, the upgrade I would make would be the scope. As to reticles and powers, thats up to you. I would encourage you to get a reliable scope that can withstand punishment. Bushnell makes some fine optics, but the optics they put on the Savage Combos are of very poor quality. My personal favorite hunting scope at this moment in time is the Meopta Meopro. Optical clarity and light gathering is really beyond what words can describe. You would just have to look through one at dawn or dusk to appreciate it. While you are at it, I would definitely go to some rugged rings such as Warne, Talley, Burris signature.