The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2013, 07:12 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Ran into another scratched die again...

was loading some 45 Autorim, with an old 45 ACP set of dies I had laying around... sizer started scratching my new cases...

I still have a scratched 357 mag die ( one of the 4 die sets I have for 38 / 357 ) I think I'm going to pick a set of 3-4 new mops in a variety of sizes, & try flitzing them & see if I can fix the 2 I have... any others suggesting something else ???
Old April 15, 2013, 08:44 AM   #2
rajbcpa

take the de-capping pin out and clean and buff the inside of the die...??
Old April 15, 2013, 08:51 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

I couldn't find my Flitz yesterday, so I just took a 45 caliber rifle brass brush in my drill, & tried to see if there was just "bit's" stuck in the die, but I wasn't able to polish anything out with the brass brush...
Old April 15, 2013, 08:54 AM   #4
Wallyl

Scratched die

Remove the decapping assembly and get 3" long metal rod. Using masking tape wind some 240~400 grit sandpaper on the rod winding it in the direction that your drill spins. Attach to a drill and make it tight enough to fit snuggly---spin in the drill and press into the bottom of the sizer die...maybe for just a few seconds. Remove and clean with a jag tip & cloth patch. Run a case into it..if it still scratches..... repeat. I use 400 grit ..makes the inside of the die look very shiney. It will not enlarge the die, if you do it this way. This also works with carbide dies that have "gunk" on them from nickel plated brass.

Good Luck!
Old April 15, 2013, 09:13 AM   #5
F. Guffey

I do not know, a scratch in the case is a transfer from the die, meaning the die is not embeddable, meaning the die is not scratching the case but something stuck to the die is scratching the case. Or, there is a dent in the mouth of the die. Caused by something the navy call ‘a glupe’.

The case is embeddable, dirt between the die and case when sizing is embedded into the case. Question, is the scratch dug into the case, not with dies but everything else, I have had about everything that resembles a cylinder ‘gall’, caused by heat, friction, lack of lube, most common cause, ignoring, as in ignoring that horrible sound of metal against metal thinking the problem will go away.

I clean the inside of dies with a towel on a dowel.

F. Guffey
Old April 15, 2013, 11:21 AM   #6
oldpapps

Back in the day......

When I loaded .38s/.375s, I was forever ending up with scratched brass.
First, it looks bad. It does weaken the brass. It is a major irritant (to me).
Second, I have found that brass life is not overly effected by those $@#& scrapes.

I was shooting 'PPC' matches. Low powered wad cutter .38s and lots of them. After several fixes/attempted fixes, I gave up and just lived with it. They just came back.

How I fixed or tried to fix it. I have used 'Lewis Lead Remover' with the cooper screen and valve honing compound with a hand drill. That worked well. Just as well was a tight cotton patch with Brasso or valve compound or bore paste. I think nickel plated cases did it more.... This was before I ever used a rattle tub cleaner or tumbler to clean.

With carbide sizing dies, I am no longer plagued with this curse. I load many .45ACP, .40S&W and not as many .44s but they too are straight walled cases. But then, I'm not picking my brass out of Police range grit... dried poop from a waste treatment facility, coal ash and clinkers, roofing material manufacturing left overs.... nasty stuff all. And I do rattle tub clean first, now.

Good luck and be safe,

OSOK
Old April 15, 2013, 11:52 AM   #7
Sevens

Old school fix... Contact the die manufacturer? Most are pretty good about this sort of thing.
Old April 15, 2013, 12:13 PM   #8
Wyoredman

When my dies start scratching brass, it has always been from brass galled to the die. I use a gun solvent for removing copper fouling and my pocket knife. First, clean the die with the copper solvent (Brass has copper in it). Let the die sit for a few minutes. Use the blade of your knife to scrape away the softened brass galling. Run a dry patch wrapped around a nylon bore brush through the die. Run another brush with clp through the die. Finally run a clean dry patch through the die then re-lube it.

Dies are very hard, not easy to scratch, so it is most likely that the softer brass has accumulated over the years.

I have never been able to scratch my die with my pocket knife!
Old April 15, 2013, 10:29 PM   #9
Ifishsum

I agree with Wyoredman - much more likely some brass galling built up than a scratch. My .223 die gets like that in the neck area if I don't clean and polish it every few hundred rounds. After a cleaning, brass looks like new again coming out. Dies are made of tool steel, it takes quite a lot to scratch them.
Old April 16, 2013, 05:53 AM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

that's why I thought I'd try the brass bore brush... it removed some, but not all of whatever is scratching my cases...

the 357 mag die, I think may have been damaged from nickel cases, but I'll try cleaning / polishing it, next time I run across it...
Old April 16, 2013, 07:58 AM   #11
WESHOOT2

old school

I had a sizing die give cases scratches, so I sent it back and they sent me a new one.
I had another brand sizing die give cases scratches, so I sent it back and they sent me a new one.
I had another brand sizing die give cases scratches, so I sent it back and they sent me a new one.

Been a while since I had a sizing die give cases scratches.
But if it did, I'd send it back......
Old April 16, 2013, 09:32 AM   #12
Wallyl

Steel Dies scratching cases

I have "studied" the reason why clean brass sized in a steel sizer die will eventually have small scratches (scores) on them when sized.

Starting with a clean die and clean brass...tumbled clean and then lubed.... After sizing a few I have found that the subsequent cases come out slightly scored. Wiping them and polishing them lightly with five steel wool, the score marks on the cases are gone..but why did they form? It is from primer residue! Ok, so now deprime and clean out the primer pockets, then tumble clean and lube them--no scoring!

The minute scoring on a brass cartridge case doesn't seem to shorten case life, except it will make the case neck prove to splitting. On rifle brass after I size it, I wipe the case lube off and then twist the neck of the case with fine steel wool. This seems to make the case life length longer for me.