The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 11, 2013, 03:40 PM   #1
stubbicatt

Ugh. Another dreaded cleaning thread...with a little twist

Guys, I've been using Dewey coated cleaning rods for a long time. When I clean a rifle, I use bronze brushes and really like Mpro7, which seems to remove all deposits pretty well.

I have a CZ 452 which is 22 long rifle chambered. The standard Dewey cleaning rod is too big in diameter to successfully traverse the barrel on the CZ, while it works just fine on 223 Remington and larger bores. I mean it takes the impressions of the lands on the plastic coating, it is so tight.

So I start in search of an alternative. I have used a boresnake, which is ok I guess, but just doesn't fill me with confidence. I have thought to acquire another good quality cleaning rod, but not sure what to get.

Then it occurs to me, years ago I obtained an Otis cleaning kit that is supposed to be able to clean everything. So, I go and pull it out of the package and look at it and realize I need instruction. I went to Otis webpage and watched their videos, and they seem to suggest that one wet patch, and one pull with a brush, and then a dry patch is all you need.

I don't think this is going to really clean the barrel. I suspect it takes many brush pulls and patches to get them clean, and it would seem that such activity would take a very long time, where with a rod and 10 sweeps thru the bore and a few wet patches, a couple dry patches, and voila! Pretty clean. Some guys like cleaning rifles, I am not one of them. If it is going to take me an hour with the Otis to accomplish what took 5 minutes with rod, patches, and brushes, then I'm not interested.

So, for those who use the Otis system, is it really just one wet patch, one brush pull, and one dry patch?

Which cleaning rod would you recommend for 22 long rifle?

Thanks.
Stubb.
Old April 11, 2013, 03:51 PM   #2
tahunua001

no idea about otis but I use hoppes boresnakes... they aren't really a great thing. they are nice to throw in your truck if you plan on spending the weekend shooting brick upon brick of ammo away from civilization and you just want to keep carbon buildup down but if you have lead or copper fouling there is just no way of getting it out with a bore snake.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old April 11, 2013, 05:07 PM   #3
mattL46

If your careful you could use a 17 caliber rod. I have a kit with one and its came in handy. I'm sure they probably make one coated seeing as how popular the 17's are.
Old April 11, 2013, 06:40 PM   #4
johnwilliamson062

The Otis won't get it clean enough for an inspection with one wipe, but it will get it clean enough to work. I usually take a couple passes. Doesn't take any longer than with a rod to get it pretty clean.

I have a rod for solving problems, but my Otis kit is what I use to clean.
Old April 12, 2013, 12:22 PM   #5
Vanya
Staff

CZ .22s are sort of famous for this. The best solution does seem to be a .17 cleaning rod, with an adapter to let you use .22 jags and brushes. This is what I use.

I've found that even a .22 Boresnake tends to get stuck -- I've had to get my pal to hold the rifle, while I use both hands to pull out the Boresnake.
Old April 12, 2013, 07:46 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

I admit I have at times had ridiculous tug of war competitions with my Otis when cleaning small bores. I once enlisted my wife to help and she actually said "Can't you just buy a new one." One of the happier moments of my life.