The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 12, 2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Jevyod

Groundhog loads with a 30-30?

I have a friend who lives near some wide open fields where groundhogs abound. He is not a hunter, but would like to get into shooting these groundhogs. He has 2 choices, a 22 and a 30-30. He is on a pretty tight budget, so another gun is out of the question.
So, has anybody ever done any "longish " range shooting with a 30-30? Is there a particular bullet that works well for that? I was thinking something like a 110 grn hollow point from Speer. Is this do-able? And can we get a load worked up that he can shoot 200-300 yards? I really want to do what I can because I view this as an opportunity to get him interested in hunting! Any imput is appreciated! ( His 30-30 is a lever action, not sure what kind)
Old April 12, 2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Hunting woodchucks with a 22 has been some of the most fun I've ever had hunting. Admittedly, I don't do it anymore but I'm old and lazy now, so I let the bullets do the "walkin"

Tell him to start there.

As for loading the 30-30 for it, sure you can. If you want to load single rounds instead of feeding from the magazine continuously, you could even use high-BC pointed bullets. Hitting them at 300 is just a matter of knowing wind/trajectory and making the clicks on the scope.
Old April 12, 2013, 08:28 AM   #3
short stack

i've always had the best luck with a 150gr fn that i cast with coww. it works nice
mark
Old April 12, 2013, 10:50 AM   #4
L_Killkenny

You don't state your/his gun but I've never had any luck with any of the 100 and 110 gr bullets when it comes to accuracy. The barrel twist of .30-30's just ain't set up for those light and short ones. I have had luck with the 125gr Sierra HP's though. Should do wonders on them ground hogs and personally is the lightest I would try.

But when it comes right down to it, it ain't gonna make much difference. No matter the bullet weight you can only stretch the .30-30 so much on little critters without really knowing what you are doing. Find an accurate load cause no matter what a .30-30 isn't what we'd call flat shooting by centerfire standards.

Don't cross the .22 of the list either. I'd use both!

Last edited by L_Killkenny; April 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old April 12, 2013, 03:48 PM   #5
ligonierbill

In my youth, I used to drag out the old 98 Mauser 8x57 with good 'ole 170 RN bullets. Those commercial rounds were probably downloaded to be not much hotter than standard 30-30. It had aperture sights, and I shot a few groundhogs with it. I say shoot what ya got. Your friend's rifle will shoot that far with more than enough left to clobber a whistle pig. Nothing wrong with the .22 either, if you can make head shots. Have fun!
Old April 12, 2013, 08:29 PM   #6
Strafer Gott

With a .30-30 you can shoot groundhogs with 150 grain flat points. After that load some Hornadys and go deer hunting, or shoot wild hogs, or all kinds of tasty vittles.
Old April 13, 2013, 02:35 PM   #7
histed

In my younger years, Remington used to make an Accelerator round for the 30-30. If my memory is correct, it was a 55 grain in a 30 cal sabot. I shot many a hog with them out to about 200 yards. You might locate some of these. As a 2 shot (one in the camber and one in the chamber) you might try Nosler 125 grain ballistic tips. You didn't say if the 30-30 was angle or top eject, but if is the old top eject, like mine, your scope'll be side mounted. That can make life interesting at longer ranges. Whatever you decide, good luck. There's no better way to spend a summer evening than sniping pigs.
Old April 13, 2013, 02:59 PM   #8
TimSr

"In my younger years, Remington used to make an Accelerator round for the 30-30. If my memory is correct, it was a 55 grain in a 30 cal sabot."

I still have a box of these with 17 left. I've been trying to sell them for a few years because I no longer own a 30-30. They made a 30-.06 version was well which I used for jackrabbits.
Old April 13, 2013, 07:56 PM   #9

Remington definitely made a 55 gr. Accelerator for .30-30. You could also buy the Sabot sleeves and 55 gr. .223 bullets to make your own. Don't know if they're still available but you might want to look. Another bullet you might consider that I've used with pretty good accuracy is the 125 gr. SIERRA JHP.
Old April 13, 2013, 08:19 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

You can still buy accelerator sabots and dies...

http://www.eabco.com/remington-accelerator-sabots.html
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.