The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 18, 2013, 01:28 PM   #26
spacecoast

Quote:
asked one of the ATFE guys auditing us ... he couldn't care less how many U.S. or foreign parts are on a firearm
Interesting, thanks for the first-hand report. I'm not sure how they would even ascertain what is/isn't foreign made in some cases. Is there a law that all US-made parts, no matter how small, have to be so marked?
Old April 18, 2013, 02:02 PM   #27
tahunua001

if there is red star arms is not in compliance.

come to think of it, Red Star Arms is US made and in a 2 stage match grade trigger, I don't know why they slipped my mind until now. the red star arms trigger group may be just the ticket for you OP. at the very least it should be equal to your norinco trigger. made in USA, 3 parts total, may even make it better.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old April 18, 2013, 10:06 PM   #28
Derius_T

Thanks for the heads up. And as has been said before, and not just here, the atf rarely if ever check 922r compliance because the headache is too big, and they have better things to do. However, with my luck I would get some new agent looking to make his name, and I would be the unlucky first guy they used to set an example. No thanks. If it's all the same I'll stay compliant, but nothing in the law says I have to throw away my old parts.
Old April 18, 2013, 10:17 PM   #29
Venom1956

I was under the impression 922r only applied to the inital retail sale of the rifle. When it becomes a personal possession then the owner can do as he pleases?

922r seems kinda vague in that way
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old April 18, 2013, 11:29 PM   #30
Derius_T

That is incorrect. If you modify the weapon from it's initial imported state, then it must only end up with 10 or less original imported parts. You can leave the weapon as is forever and be in compliance.

What I find amusing though is that things like, flash suppressors, bayonets, and folding stocks were evil and had to be changed, but now as long as those same evil things are US parts and not foreign ones, they are no longer evil?

So the "evilness" of a rifles parts is directly linked to it's country of origin and not the parts themselves?