The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 11, 2013, 02:39 PM   #1
tahunua001

gun maintenance... it's important.

hello all, just felt like sharing.
today I realized that I had a pair of semis that needed cleaning.

the first, a Chinese SKS that I sporterized over the winter and at easter let my brother in law and sister shoot corrosive ammo out of it and forgot to clean it. quite a bit of rust inside. I may take it down in a few days and clean it again to make sure I got all the rust out of the gas tube and chamber, the rest wasn't bad.

the second was an AR15 in 9mm. many here may know the ballad of Tahunua001s 9mm AR15. she's a safe queen of humble origins and got off to a rocky start with FTFs and FTEs left and right only to find out that the cheap magazines her lord was using were the culprits. after he stopped using the cheap mags she did nothing but please her master and she was good to him... but that is only part of the story. he neglected her and she remained loyal even after 2 long years. until the master tried to once again offer her cheap magazines and she just couldn't take it anymore, an FTE after about 1,200 rounds without cleaning. so the master realized that he had been so foolish to neglect his beautiful cabinet queen and took her out to make things right. his floor became littered with cleaning patches and q-tips, blackened by years of soot and filth and his hands were as black as coal but his queen became like a new gun, so smooth, so elegant, and maybe even a little more accurate now that it is clean...

so the moral of the story... don't neglect your queens... they will serve you only as long as you serve them...
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old April 11, 2013, 09:21 PM   #2
Ben Dover

Well stated. My military instructors a;lways usede the adage: "Take care of your weapon and your weapon willl take care of you."

Quite a bit of wisdom there.
Old April 11, 2013, 09:43 PM   #3
tahunua001

very true, aside from the do it yourself CBTs little mention was made to cleaning an M16/4.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old April 11, 2013, 11:39 PM   #4
Venom1956

I need to clean a few of mine. Now your making me feel guilty.

My dirty AK, my dirty Kahr, not sure if my 1911 is... Custom Mk2 is dirty...

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

The guilt! I used to be so good about it!
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old April 12, 2013, 11:41 PM   #5
chris in va

...and if i may add, clean your mags! I was shocked how much junk was in mine.
Old April 13, 2013, 12:20 AM   #6
Ignition Override

Along with having ammo using non-spec powder and at first reportedly being issued no cleaning kits, a number of our guys with
M-16s in early Vietnam combat died after their guns jammed or misfed etc.; "A Rumour Of War", Philip Caputo, former Marine infantry Captain.
Also described in "About Face" by Col. David Hackworth, unless I'm mistaken.
Please correct this if not accurate.

My motivation is to simply keep my rifles' bores, chambers, bolt faces from suffering any erosion.
With 2,200 rds. of corrosive 8mm and 3,000 rds. of .303 for long-term contingency ammo, it is vital to clean every day after use.
Even though we don't anticipate any Hezbollah or Taliban activities in west TN, why not clean in order to preserve?

This only requires about five minutes and after finishing with several dry patches and a brush, aiming a hair dryer on 'max. afterburner' aimed into the chamber for about three minutes helps ensure a dry chamber/bore.

Last edited by Ignition Override; April 13, 2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old April 13, 2013, 04:52 AM   #7
Justice06RR

Well... none of my guns are really "queens".

Have not cleaned my guns for a while. I shoot what I own; I don't particularly spoil my guns or make them safe queens.

I have not cleaned my Glock19, AK47's, and Mosin's for a while. I do clean my AR15's though.
Old April 13, 2013, 01:54 PM   #8
zbones6

i clean all my guns after i shoot them. i find it relaxing, and i want to keep them pristine
Old April 13, 2013, 06:50 PM   #9
tahunua001

I'm a lazy bastard, I haven't cleaned my 10/22 ever, I've owned it for 4 years. I haven't cleaned my AR15 in 5.56 since my older brother showed me how to 4 years ago. I haven't cleaned my 243 since before I joined the military so there's 6 years at least. one of the reasons I got rid of my AK clone was because I was tired of having to clean it once a month, use or not to combat the rust that cropped up all over the place.
Old April 13, 2013, 07:49 PM   #10
Death from Afar

Its a good thread. My two cents is that Overcleaning is as bad- if not worse- than undercleaning, all things being equal. I once had the misfortune to be issued a Steyr AUG IW (Aussie made) carbine that was an ex recruit depot weapon. Anyhoo, after the soldiers had gone home my Seargent and I had a few magazines left over, and decided to do a bit of shooting ourselves. Halfway through the second magazine on auto the Steyr flew to pieces. It was a pile of smouldering parts.

The armourer said it had been cleaned so much that it was basically worn out from being taken to bits too often.
Old April 13, 2013, 08:19 PM   #11
James K
Staff

I have never heard that result from over-cleaning, but I do agree some folks get carried away. The more usual result is that they try to take the gun down to every tiny part, with the result that a lot of those tiny parts get away, along with some bigger ones as well. Ignorance plays a role, also. Too many gun owners don't know how the gun works, or even general principles, so that they put guns together wrong, have parts left over, and in some cases actually end up with a dangerous gun.

With non-corrosive primers now universal for all but old milsurp ammo, super cleaning is rarely advisable and in many cases is not at all a good idea.

Jim
Old April 13, 2013, 09:01 PM   #12
Tucker 1371

I have a 5.45 AK and if you shoot the spam can stuff like I do you have NO CHOICE but to clean it, I spend an hour on my AK alone after a range trip because of that wonderfully cheap but appallingly dirty and corrosive ammo.

My M1A gets babied, my 1911 gets tortured. My policy with my 1911 is to shoot it without cleaning until it fails to feed (usually due to a dirty feed ramp) and then clean it. Once I get my GA CCW permit swapped to a TN CCW I'll start taking better care of her but right now she's in CCW boot camp.
REV. 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Old April 13, 2013, 10:14 PM   #13
Derius_T

When shooting the old corrosive ammo I always clean very well right after. I had a nice rifle die because I failed to do that once, so never again. (granted it took a looong period of neglect but still)

As far as my older AK's were concerned (ones I owned many, many moons ago) I hardly ever cleaned them, but never shot corrosive ammo, as I could afford the good stuff then. After all, if you have to clean an AK every day, why have an AK at all?
Old April 14, 2013, 09:30 PM   #14
Gbnk82

I clean my guns every time i get done shooting them..like someone stated earlier after a day of putting a few hundred rounds down range it feels good to sit and clean my gun and see it shine like new again afterwards.why not take great care of them we invest large amounts of both time and money in them it only makes sense that they get taken care of properly.and perhaps im just a bit deifferent but i enjoy cleaning my guns almost as much as i do shooting them..ALMOST that is