The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 11, 2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Swampman1

Question about Hornady powder measure

Just got my single stage Hornady powder measure and I understand it comes with a standard metering plunger, geared for rifle? I only plan on reloading pistol, so will this standard metering plunger work, or do I need something specifically for pistol?
Old April 11, 2013, 10:35 AM   #2
Spammy_H

I believe the standard drum has the large diameter hole, and the standard metering insert has the large "plunger".

I would recommend getting the pistol drum and metering insert:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/164...ering-assembly

The pistol drum / insert will get you a range of .5 - 17 grains.

Take a look at your drum / insert and if it doesn't look like what's in the link, you have the standard drum / insert combo.
Old April 11, 2013, 10:38 AM   #3
Spammy_H

You may also want to consider their micrometer insert:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/615...ering-assembly

It allows you to go between charges pretty easily.

However, for my LNL AP, I use a separate insert per caliber, and just keep it with the dies in the die box.
Old April 11, 2013, 11:29 AM   #4
BusterValentine

It is possible to use the rifle insert but it's a big pain. I used it for the first few weeks until I was able to locate a pistol rotor and metering assembly. If you're using Blue Dot or another powder that requires a larger charge it should work out ok (at least it did for me) but dialing it in is gonna take a lot of time and frustration.

I ended up finding my pistol rotor and metering insert at Precisionreloading.com but Natchezss.com just got them back in stock as well.

Make sure you clean everything in and on the powder measure with one shot or some kind of degreaser.
Old April 11, 2013, 12:59 PM   #5
Swampman1

Sammy H
Quote:
I believe the standard drum has the large diameter hole, and the standard metering insert has the large "plunger".

I would recommend getting the pistol drum and metering insert:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/164...ering-assembly

The pistol drum / insert will get you a range of .5 - 17 grains.

Take a look at your drum / insert and if it doesn't look like what's in the link, you have the standard drum / insert combo.
You are correct, it is the large plunger, not like the one in the link.

Sammy H
Quote:
You may also want to consider their micrometer insert:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/615...ering-assembly

It allows you to go between charges pretty easily.

However, for my LNL AP, I use a separate insert per caliber, and just keep it with the dies in the die box.
I believe I will go with the micrometer insert. I wonder if its possible to order just the pistol drum(without the pistol plunger), and order the micrometer separtely? It may come as a packege deal I suppose.
Old April 11, 2013, 01:08 PM   #6
Spammy_H

I checked Hornady's website as well as Graf's and don't see how you can buy one separately, unfortunately.

I've heard that the micrometer works well, but it's pretty tough to read. RCBS' micrometer insert is better made in that respect, but doubt it would work on the LnL.
Old April 11, 2013, 01:26 PM   #7
Swampman1

Buster
Quote:
I ended up finding my pistol rotor and metering insert at Precisionreloading.com but Natchezss.com just got them back in stock as well.

Make sure you clean everything in and on the powder measure with one shot or some kind of degreaser.
Thanks Buster...got it ordered. Yean I cleaned everything with Hornady One Shot.

Sammy H
Yeah I'll probably hold off on the micrometer for now, Thanks.
Old April 11, 2013, 07:10 PM   #8
led0321

Re: Question about Hornady powder measure

I ordered one from midway....pistol measures like a dream