The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 11, 2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Swampman1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 17, 2013
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 406
Question about Hornady powder measure

Just got my single stage Hornady powder measure and I understand it comes with a standard metering plunger, geared for rifle? I only plan on reloading pistol, so will this standard metering plunger work, or do I need something specifically for pistol?
Swampman1 is offline  
Old April 11, 2013, 10:35 AM   #2
Spammy_H
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 17, 2009
Posts: 220
I believe the standard drum has the large diameter hole, and the standard metering insert has the large "plunger".

I would recommend getting the pistol drum and metering insert:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/164...ering-assembly

The pistol drum / insert will get you a range of .5 - 17 grains.

Take a look at your drum / insert and if it doesn't look like what's in the link, you have the standard drum / insert combo.
Spammy_H is offline  
Old April 11, 2013, 10:38 AM   #3
Spammy_H
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 17, 2009
Posts: 220
You may also want to consider their micrometer insert:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/615...ering-assembly

It allows you to go between charges pretty easily.

However, for my LNL AP, I use a separate insert per caliber, and just keep it with the dies in the die box.
Spammy_H is offline  
Old April 11, 2013, 11:29 AM   #4
BusterValentine
Member
 
Join Date: March 28, 2013
Posts: 31
It is possible to use the rifle insert but it's a big pain. I used it for the first few weeks until I was able to locate a pistol rotor and metering assembly. If you're using Blue Dot or another powder that requires a larger charge it should work out ok (at least it did for me) but dialing it in is gonna take a lot of time and frustration.

I ended up finding my pistol rotor and metering insert at Precisionreloading.com but Natchezss.com just got them back in stock as well.

Make sure you clean everything in and on the powder measure with one shot or some kind of degreaser.
BusterValentine is offline  
Old April 11, 2013, 12:59 PM   #5
Swampman1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 17, 2013
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 406
Sammy H
Quote:
I believe the standard drum has the large diameter hole, and the standard metering insert has the large "plunger".

I would recommend getting the pistol drum and metering insert:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/164...ering-assembly

The pistol drum / insert will get you a range of .5 - 17 grains.

Take a look at your drum / insert and if it doesn't look like what's in the link, you have the standard drum / insert combo.
You are correct, it is the large plunger, not like the one in the link.

Sammy H
Quote:
You may also want to consider their micrometer insert:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/615...ering-assembly

It allows you to go between charges pretty easily.

However, for my LNL AP, I use a separate insert per caliber, and just keep it with the dies in the die box.
I believe I will go with the micrometer insert. I wonder if its possible to order just the pistol drum(without the pistol plunger), and order the micrometer separtely? It may come as a packege deal I suppose.
Swampman1 is offline  
Old April 11, 2013, 01:08 PM   #6
Spammy_H
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 17, 2009
Posts: 220
I checked Hornady's website as well as Graf's and don't see how you can buy one separately, unfortunately.

I've heard that the micrometer works well, but it's pretty tough to read. RCBS' micrometer insert is better made in that respect, but doubt it would work on the LnL.
Spammy_H is offline  
Old April 11, 2013, 01:26 PM   #7
Swampman1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 17, 2013
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 406
Buster
Quote:
I ended up finding my pistol rotor and metering insert at Precisionreloading.com but Natchezss.com just got them back in stock as well.

Make sure you clean everything in and on the powder measure with one shot or some kind of degreaser.
Thanks Buster...got it ordered. Yean I cleaned everything with Hornady One Shot.

Sammy H
Yeah I'll probably hold off on the micrometer for now, Thanks.
Swampman1 is offline  
Old April 11, 2013, 07:10 PM   #8
led0321
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 4, 2013
Posts: 115
Re: Question about Hornady powder measure

I ordered one from midway....pistol measures like a dream
led0321 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2014 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.07636 seconds with 7 queries