The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 10, 2013, 05:24 AM   #1
Pico

Single stack Glock

Why or why doesnt Glock make another single stack pistol for carry use? The Glock 36 size or smaller maybe in 9 or .40?

Pico
Old April 10, 2013, 07:11 AM   #2
Brit

The first time I met Gaston Glock in 1984, covered that. A new pistol, very slim 9mm, 10 round magazine, factory night sights.

Perfect for concealed carry. Nothing came of that.
Old April 10, 2013, 07:26 AM   #3
Seaman

Its out there. Called a Walther PPS, beautiful SA-like trigger, very accurate, in 9mm or 40 S&W. Can be carried anywhere, with the shorty mag its also good on the ankle. One of the finest CCWs ever. Ugly too.
Old April 10, 2013, 09:25 AM   #4
ClydeFrog

Funny clip...

There is a funny clip online from the 2013 SHOT show in Las Vegas NV where 2 young Glock reps chat up a big crowd & the rep says; "What do you all think Glock is going to announce?..."
Multiple SHOT show attendees quickly say; "a sub compact single stack like the 36 but in 9x19mm or .40S&W?".
The Glock guy grins nervously & says; "No....but....".

The young Glock gal at the SHOT show also talks up the new Glock 30S .45acp saying a police department requested it. That's part true, , the LAPD's elite SIS detectives(who track down extremely violent & dangerous felons) asked Glock for a more concealable pistol to augment the big 21 duty pistols.
The SIS used a series from Kimber America but I think that program fell apart.
Even author John Connelly's LAPD D-3 Harry Boesch character went from a Kimber .45acp to a Glock duty pistol.

CF
Old April 10, 2013, 10:35 AM   #5
carguychris

FWIW I predict that the proliferation of stricter 7-10rd limits in states like NY* and CT is going to result in a new generation of single-stack or "1-1/2 stack" pistols from major gunmakers, including Glock. If you can't carry more than 7-10rds* regardless, the pistol might as well be thinner.

*Two footnotes: (1) As I write this, NY has a 7rd limit, but seems likely to amend this back to a 10rd limit. (2) Let's NOT turn this thread into a rant about the propriety, Constitutionality, and/or practicality of mag capacity limits- there are PLENTY of ongoing thread in General Discussion and L&CR for that!
Old April 10, 2013, 12:34 PM   #6
Brit

NY is Mental, always was, always will be!
Old April 10, 2013, 12:53 PM   #7
Noreaster

Glock has a good thing going with the platform they have. Why change what already sells. They are having a hard time producing enough of what have. I've also heard they are not open to new ideas at Glock HQ, (the M&P was the idea of one of the Glock guys but no one there would endorse it so he went to S&W with the idea.) If there is enough public demand for a single stack then they will probably make one.
Old April 10, 2013, 12:55 PM   #8
SPEMack618

I read somewhere that Glock is more concerned with the military and police market than what civillians want, so therefore no single stack 9mm.
Big Sister: "Can you not afford a Pelican? Then buy an Allen gun bag."
Old April 10, 2013, 01:04 PM   #9
ShipWreck

It'll come out right after the mythical Glock carbine...
Old April 10, 2013, 01:09 PM   #10
khegglie

The Shield covers that base!
Old April 10, 2013, 01:11 PM   #11
Technosavant

Quote:
I've also heard they are not open to new ideas at Glock HQ,
I've heard this too. It's likely what comes of thinking like this:

Quote:
Glock has a good thing going with the platform they have. Why change what already sells.
They are satisfied with the revenue made from the current product line and see precious little reason to try anything new (like a thinner design). While models like the 30 show they aren't completely fossilized, I see a bunch of people crying out for Glock to make a single stack 9mm (a la M&P Shield) or even introduce interchangeable backstraps to allow a bit of customization to one's own hand.

They make a good product, but I wouldn't really expect any significant changes to their line until they have significant changes to their management. In other words, so long as Gaston Glock is calling the shots I wouldn't hold my breath.

There's more money to be made by listening to the consumer, but for now it appears Glock is quite happy with the current state of things. Meanwhile, S&W and others have been quite happily taking the rest of the business... even business that might otherwise have gone to Glock.
Old April 10, 2013, 04:37 PM   #12
chris in va

Glock's primary focus and (original) customer base is LEO department sales, not 'civillian' sales. I wouldn't think police departments would have a need for a small single stack 9mm.
Old April 10, 2013, 04:59 PM   #13
druryj

Single Stack Glock 9mm

Careful examination of the Glock's magazine design will shed some light on why the Glock will not/cannot morph into a slim single stack 9mm.
Old April 10, 2013, 05:12 PM   #14
Gaerek

It's a shame it's impossible to redesign a magazine to fit a single stack gun...

Oh wait.
Old April 10, 2013, 06:03 PM   #15
Pico

Great replies guys

Thanks.

All good arguments but it makes you wonder why they did the 36 single stack .45 if all they wanted was a single, basic double stack LE platform. A single stack 9 or .40 would sell faster than assault rifle ammo these days. Especially with the fear out there high-cap mag guns may be limited to 10 rounds.

Question 2, would any one pay standard Glock prices (17, 19, 22, 23) for a single stack Glock 9 mm or .40 with 7 to 8 rounds?

Pico
Old April 10, 2013, 07:37 PM   #16
KO3422

Single stack 9 and a glock carbine is all I want for xmas.
Old April 10, 2013, 09:22 PM   #17
Sharpsdressed Man

Anyone want to venture a guess as to who is the bigger market for Glock, police/military or civilian/private sector?
Old April 10, 2013, 09:30 PM   #18
Willie Sutton

^^ Civil, in the USA at least.

In any given town (save for obvious exceptions like NYC) there are more citizens with Glocks than the size of the entire police department of the same town.

Willie

Old April 10, 2013, 09:32 PM   #19
gregdry

Slimmer glock? Springfield beat 'em to it - XDS!
Old April 10, 2013, 09:34 PM   #20

Shield and the XDs which will soon be available in 9mm.
Old April 11, 2013, 12:30 AM   #21
Gaerek

Quote:
Shield and the XDs which will soon be available in 9mm.
Glock would make tons of $$$$ if they would do it. Just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe they don't want to confuse the gangbangers with a "Glock 40."
Old April 11, 2013, 09:47 AM   #22
ScotchMan

Glock is behind the times, pure and simple. They were innovators in the beginning, but they have been resting on their laurels and making fistfuls of cash on their reputation for reliability, and their huge following as a result of having such a large part of the police market. No one buys Glock for their recent innovation, and if they do, they are misinformed.

In the mean time, companies like Smith & Wesson have continued innovating. They beat Glock to replaceable backstraps, a normal grip angle, choices in manual safety, and various other features. They came out with the M&P Shield as a natural evolution with regards to the concealed carry movement. In the meantime, Glock came out with the Gen4 pistols, which "catch up" to everyone else in some ways.

The pistol you want will probably be released by Glock eventually. In the meantime, you have the Walther PPS (my personal EDC), the M&P Shield, the Springfield XDs, various Kahr (CW9, etc), and probably others I'm forgetting.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old April 11, 2013, 10:26 AM   #23
Dashunde

Quote:
I wouldn't think police departments would have a need for a small single stack 9mm.
Sure they do, as back-up's and off duty. But your right, most all of those are bought by the officers.

Glocks thinking and product line up has always bewildered me..
How can the G34 & 35 be explained with the probability of a single stack 9mm/.40 selling in numbers ten times greater?
Have they not learned anything by watching the success of the PPS, PM9, Shield and so on?
Old April 11, 2013, 10:32 AM   #24
TunnelRat

Quote:
They were innovators in the beginning, but they have been resting on their laurels and making fistfuls of cash on their reputation for reliability, and their huge following as a result of having such a large part of the police market. No one buys Glock for their recent innovation, and if they do, they are misinformed.
I have to agree with this. I see some wasted opportunities at Glock. Who have they let the competition catch up to them so much? They were in the polymer safe-action pistol game a long time before Springfield Armory, Ruger, and S&W. Their products should be way ahead right now in terms of design. Don't get me wrong, if someone handed me a Glock and said "defend yourself" I wouldn't have a problem. I just feel like the company didn't realize its full potential.
Old April 11, 2013, 10:44 AM   #25
Technosavant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico
Question 2, would any one pay standard Glock prices (17, 19, 22, 23) for a single stack Glock 9 mm or .40 with 7 to 8 rounds?
I think they're doing it now, they just aren't for Glocks. The XDs, the M&P Shield, the Sig P938... all varied designs, but all at or above the Glock price ballpark and all have no more than 7 or 8 rounds. I paid way over the price of a Glock for my P938. I probably wouldn't have gone with a similar Glock had one been available (I'm not really a Glock guy, maybe one day I'll get one, but I've yet to do so), but guns in that size and price class are certainly flying off shelves.

IMO, I think TunnelRat is spot on with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat
Their products should be way ahead right now in terms of design. Don't get me wrong, if someone handed me a Glock and said "defend yourself" I wouldn't have a problem. I just feel like the company didn't realize its full potential.
For the most part Glocks now are the same they were when they were introduced 30 years ago. The differences between the guns then and now are pretty minor. Granted, they DID get it right when they designed the G17, but there's been a lot of work done by a lot of other companies since then. While Sig still sells their P series, they also have developed other guns. Ditto for S&W (well, they no longer sell their metal framed autos, but they've gone back to the drawing board a couple times since the Glock ate their lunch). Most every major firearms maker has been doing something new. Glock, not so much.

Again, not that there's anything wrong with their product line, it's just that they could be more than they are now, with a wider appeal and more sales. But they aren't. And for no real reason why beyond the intransigence of management.