The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 9, 2013, 10:43 PM   #1
Willie D

Guns you "need", guns you want, guns you'll use

When buying guns or making mental lists of guns I want, I find myself drawn in different directions: Guns that fill a void in my collection or serve a specific purpose vs. guns that are just too fun or sexy to pass by vs. guns that will see the most use.

I could really use a pocket pistol. I would carry it a lot, especially in warmer weather. I'd rather buy yet another full size 9mm; because...why not? I like shooting them at the range and the new one would be ever so slightly different than the old ones.

Or, I "need" something for hunting in bad weather (a mostly theoretical situation for me) but I'd rather get a FAL for no other reason than they look and feel awesome.

Or, I think I need something that will take me to 800yds but maybe I should just get another .22 bolt gun.

Anyone else experience something similar? I suppose one can amass a varied collection over the years but when buying stuff now I sometimes kick myself for getting something unnecessary but also don't get as much use from the niche guns that I "needed".
Old April 9, 2013, 11:07 PM   #2
shaunpain

I hardly get to shoot the guns I own, so I never kick myself for buying anything. I have it for the day that I want to shoot it and that's good enough for me!

Impractical guns, though? Not really my cup of tea. Not into BBQ guns either. I'm a utilitarian kind of guy!
Old April 9, 2013, 11:15 PM   #3
BumbleBug

Well, don't laugh...but I would love to buy a Ruger #1 Tropical in .458 win. I love #1's & ever since I handled a tropical, I've wanted one. Something about that rifle that calls me...LOL

Come to think of it, hunting really dangerous game with a single shot would have to be the height of lunacy!!!

...bug
Old April 10, 2013, 08:33 AM   #4
cvc944

When I started buying, it was only the guns that I needed. Then I started filling in the holes with guns that I sort of needed. Then I started to buy the guns I wanted, but didn't really need.
Old April 10, 2013, 10:00 AM   #5
doofus47

Just what I need. It didn't occur to me initially that need was a 4 letter word....
Old April 10, 2013, 10:05 AM   #6
kraigwy

I NEED ALL my guns, I WANT ALL my guns, and I SHOOT All my guns.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 10, 2013, 03:59 PM   #7
RickB

When I was shooting USPSA and IDPA competition twice a week, I didn't see any reason to buy a gun that couldn't be used in those matches, as I sure wasn't going to the range a third time, just to shoot the guns that weren't match legal.
What I ended up doing was finding competitions for which all my guns were legal, and also occasionally justifying a purchase because it would allow me to try a new form of competition. It was all a lot of mental gymnastics, to justify gun purchases and range trips!
I do have a secret list of guns that I just want, with no greater justification necessary.
Old April 10, 2013, 04:43 PM   #8
dstryr

I need a hunting rifle. I want a Savage 111LRH in .338LM. I'll use whatever I decide to buy next.

http://www.dstryr.com/